What ISN'T included in the price? (with a child)

It has been 12 years since my last cruise and it was on Princess. Thinking about a cruise on the Enchantment of the Seas. On the Princess cruise, everything was free except for alcohol. We had a complimentary drink when we departed, and I think there might have been a charge for a special restaurant if we chose to go. But I am seeing that these cruises seem to not be "all inclusive". They charge for soda??? So if we didn't drink, basically everything was included except for a tip at the end we put in an envelope that covered everyone from the maid to the waiter. What should I expect now?

We will be traveling with a 6 year old girl and also want to take advantage of the "Adventure Ocean" kids program. Is that included or do we have to pay for that too? There is mention of having early seating at dinner and they will feed the kids quickly and then take them to play while you have a quiet dinner. Is that included? Basically, I want to know what food, drink or activities while ON the ship might surprise me that I have to pay separately for, including any tips, fees, cover charges, etc. Thanks!

It has been 12 years since my last cruise and it was on Princess. Thinking about a cruise on the Enchantment of the Seas. On the Princess cruise, everything was free except for alcohol. We had a complimentary drink when we departed, and I think there might have been a charge for a special restaurant if we chose to go. But I am seeing that these cruises seem to not be "all inclusive". They charge for soda??? So if we didn't drink, basically everything was included except for a tip at the end we put in an envelope that covered everyone from the maid to the waiter. What should I expect now?

We will be traveling with a 6 year old girl and also want to take advantage of the "Adventure Ocean" kids program. Is that included or do we have to pay for that too? There is mention of having early seating at dinner and they will feed the kids quickly and then take them to play while you have a quiet dinner. Is that included? Basically, I want to know what food, drink or activities while ON the ship might surprise me that I have to pay separately for, including any tips, fees, cover charges, etc. Thanks!

Soda's, yes there is a charge, kids or adults, its an all you can drink soda card typically. The kids clubs i think are free, but do not quote me, i would call RCCL customer service to confirm.

Free drinks onboard are water(tap not bottled), icetea, lemonade, coffee, tea, milk. Your meals in the MDR are covered as well as the buffet.

There will be a charge for Sodas, either by the drink or you can chose to pay for the unlimited soda package.

Tips are not included and the recommended amount is 9.75/person/day if you are not in a suite. This is for every person regardless of age.

I think Adventure Ocean is free, but they start charging for the hour sometime at night.

Of course shore excursions, Spa Treatments, Alcohol, Non-Alcoholic drinks not listed above, Specialty restaurants and more are at an extra cost.

Room service is free unless ordered during night hours, when there is a fee for it.

I´m sure someone will add to the list and no cruising is fa fom being AI.

Since you are concerned about the budget..you can easily do this..just no extras and then you will only need to pay the tips..you can also opt to include them either with your final payment or add them onto your SeaPass account once onboard..You will be provided coupons that you will put in the envelopes provided ..That way you will not have to worry about having to have so much cash...Many people have a very tight budget. The childrens program is inclusive as well ....Rest assured it can be done..Good luck and enjoy your cruise !!!

Is the "recommended" $9.75 per day cover everyone? Obviously, great service should get a great tip even above the suggested amount, but just wondering if that is split between room steward, waiter, adventure kid host, entertainment director, etc. Not sure how many there are to tip! LOL.

Offering tea, lemonade and milk seems fair enough too. I guess "brand name" drinks are just another way to keep room costs down, and they must have to cover Johnny Rocket's agreement, but there seems to be a fine line between feeling it is a "value add" or a "bait and switch" or "nickel and dime". Seems a lot better than what the airlines are doing with baggage charges and the like. Overall, I wish things were just quoted as bottom line tax and tags and if you couldn't swing it, you take a few things away. How about "homes starting at $300,000"? :) "Oh, you want walls, windows and doors? That's more like $350,000".

Is the "recommended" $9.75 per day cover everyone? Obviously, great service should get a great tip even above the suggested amount, but just wondering if that is split between room steward, waiter, adventure kid host, entertainment director, etc. Not sure how many there are to tip! LOL.

Offering tea, lemonade and milk seems fair enough too. I guess "brand name" drinks are just another way to keep room costs down, and they must have to cover Johnny Rocket's agreement, but there seems to be a fine line between feeling it is a "value add" or a "bait and switch" or "nickel and dime". Seems a lot better than what the airlines are doing with baggage charges and the like. Overall, I wish things were just quoted as bottom line tax and tags and if you couldn't swing it, you take a few things away. How about "homes starting at $300,000"? :) "Oh, you want walls, windows and doors? That's more like $350,000".

The recommended tip covers the cabin attendant, and your Dining team (waiter, assistant waiter and head waiter).

The tip covers everyone who is in the tip pool. The entertainment and kids club attendants are not in the tip pool, they are paid a salary. Some people do tip the kids club counselors, but it is not expected.

I don't mind the extra charges for elective things, such as soft drinks...I'm probably one of the few. But #1 I don't drink soft drinks and #2 the one cruise we did take with inclusive soft drinks, the mess from half glasses/cups of soda and spillage was unbelievable. We even witnessed kids filling their cups and throwing them at each other.

Go to Post #14 in this thread Help Create a NEW "Cruising on Royal Caribbean FAQ"

It will answer your questions about Adventure Ocean. If you read some of the other posts, it may answer other questions you may have.

Is the "recommended" $9.75 per day cover everyone? Obviously, great service should get a great tip even above the suggested amount, but just wondering if that is split between room steward, waiter, adventure kid host, entertainment director, etc. Not sure how many there are to tip! LOL. quote]

I'm sure you already know that the 9.75 per day is per person, including your child. (3 people total 204.75). Have a wonderful time on your cruise. Jan

Adventure Ocean is free until 10:00 pm, then they charge $5 an hour until you pick him/her up. They are open until 1:00 am. My DD has always wanted to stay after hours, so I have no problem with the money.

The unlimited soda pkg. is also a good buy for the children. For a 6 yr.old it would be $4 a day, and you have to purchase it for the whole cruise. So for a 7 nighter it would be $28 plus tax and gratuity making it around $33-$35 for the whole cruise. They put a sticker on her seapass that she would show when asked, but the dining room will only need to see it once, then it's recorded. I believe Adventure Ocean can do the same thing, so that she doesn't have to be responsible for keeping her card with her while there.

I'm not sure about the early seating with staff taking them there. I heard that was an option on the Oasis, but not really sure about other ships yet.

The My Time Family dining is the option where they take the kids partway through the main dining time. Your family dines together from 6 -6:45 pm (usually enough time for the kids to get appetizers/entree/dessert and the adults to get appetizers and possibly entrees.) and then take your child to the front of the dining room to meet the Adventure Ocean counselors and sign them in. Then back to your table to enjoy the rest of your meal solo.

One or two nights (usually the formal nights) you can sign your child up to eat dinner with the Adventure Ocean counselors at Johnny Rockets. They stay (or sign back in) at 5pm, go to dinner with the kids club and then up to the activity room. This is also included, and there is no fee for the kids to eat at Johnny Rockets with the group. It's also a great opportunity to try out Chops or Portofino (the pay restaurants) if that is in your budget.

Kids club is typically open from 9-Noon, 2-5 pm and 7-10 pm and is included in your cruise faire. As someone mentioned, the Late Night Party zone is from 10 pm - 1 am, and is $5/hour. Neither of my kids made it that late when they were 6. Both of them did love the kids club though!

We really enjoyed the Enchantment and found it to be a great sized ship to try out cruising without being overwhelmed. The kids pool play area looked like a lot of fun too.

Hope that helps. There is also a lot of information on the family board regarding cruising with young kids. I know mine love it and are nearly as addicted as I am :)

Enjoy your trip!

• 1 month later...
Adventure Ocean is free until 10:00 pm, then they charge $5 an hour until you pick him/her up. They are open until 1:00 am. My DD has always wanted to stay after hours, so I have no problem with the money.

The unlimited soda pkg. is also a good buy for the children. For a 6 yr.old it would be $4 a day, and you have to purchase it for the whole cruise. So for a 7 nighter it would be $28 plus tax and gratuity making it around $33-$35 for the whole cruise. They put a sticker on her seapass that she would show when asked, but the dining room will only need to see it once, then it's recorded. I believe Adventure Ocean can do the same thing, so that she doesn't have to be responsible for keeping her card with her while there.

I'm not sure about the early seating with staff taking them there. I heard that was an option on the Oasis, but not really sure about other ships yet.

It was my understanding that you had to pick them up by 12 noon or pay the charge for them to be there from noon until 2pm. I thought this is also the same for dinnertime. Please advise. Thanks

When the ship is in port, Adventure Ocean is open 30 minutes before the first excursion until time everyone has to be onboard. They take the kids to lunch in the Windjammer and have a little nap time for the younger ones. I took my 3 year old grandaughter on Voyager last March and she LOVED it.

Archived