Gift for Cabin Steward

We always give extra cash. But we always ask our cabin steward if they need anything from port. It's always been something small that they ask for. Last month our steward asked that I purchase a birthday card for a fellow crew member that they could all sign.

We always give extra cash. But we always ask our cabin steward if they need anything from port. It's always been something small that they ask for. Last month our steward asked that I purchase a birthday card for a fellow crew member that they could all sign.

out of all the ideas of giving something over cash...this has ti be the best one!!

koodos to you

I would like to bring something with me as a token of appreciation to my cabin steward(in addition to tip of course). Any suggestions?

We thought it would be nice to buy our cabin steward a Tee-Shirt from the ports we were in. Someone new to wear on their day off. And since we always asked what size they were (we told them why we were asking their size) we thought they liked the idea. This was in addition to our pre-paid gratitude plus the extra money we gave them at the end of the cruise. We did this only twice and decided it is better to just give them extra money. Why? Because I did a search on youtube of "life on a cruiseship." There are plenty of videos that ship's employees put on youtube about their life on a cruise ship. Each one that I looked at showed their cabins. They live in a closet with two or three other staff members and basically have a small locker to place all their belongings in. Please don't give them a gift. It is a very nice idea but they don't have room for anything extra.

Absolutely the best tip ever! We have never once asked if we could pick something up while in port. It seems so obvious to do so. I also think we might urge RCI to have "comment cards" handy. Had we not sailed on Princess, I'm not sure I would have realized the importance of recognizing those that go above and beyond.

We always ask this too. On Oasis, our steward asked if we'd take some pictures of things we liked in Costa Maya and show them to her since she hadn't had a chance to stop there yet--she wanted to know if there was a Senor Frog's, since a relative at home liked their t-shirts and she likes to get one at each port if she has time to send home. We took some random pictures and she liked getting a feel for it, and was appreciative to know that she'd have to go to Cozumel for Senor Frogs. We would've bought her anything she wanted--shirts for her whole family!

Here's something else to think about that I haven't seen mentioned yet. Lots of people like to bring treats; nuts, chocolates, home-made goodies etc. The crew will always thank you for these (they don't want to risk losing their tip) but they may not ever eat them due to certain food allergies. I'll also reiterate. CASH IS KING!

Another vote for CASH. If you feel that you must give something more personal, make it something consumable: chocolate, nuts, or some other snack. Something that might brighten their day a bit, but then be gone and not take up space.

Here's something else to think about that I haven't seen mentioned yet. Lots of people like to bring treats; nuts, chocolates, home-made goodies etc. The crew will always thank you for these (they don't want to risk losing their tip) but they may not ever eat them due to certain food allergies. I'll also reiterate. CASH IS KING!
I wouldn't worry about food allergies. SOMEONE will eat those things. One new thing you brought up, though: home-made goodies. I wouldn't give homemade goodies to a stranger. I wouldn't eat that. Would you? Every now and then a student gives me something homemade. I'm always polite, of course, but unless that student's someone I know well and have taught for some time, I usually throw it away (at home, in my own trash can, of course, where there's no possibility of anyone knowing). You just never know.

We always give cash, good service = more cash! However, I always take the time to write a thank you note to our cabin steward, waiter, and assistant waiter. Imagine my surprise when DH and I met our steward from a previous cruise and he remember us because of the note. Wow, I thought they just throw them away!!

I'll echo the comment card suggestions (as well as $$, of course). Last year on Monarch we were very impressed with the My Time Dining Manager (or whatever he's called), and we went by to give him a tip on the last day. Although he was pleased with the tip, he said, "PLEASE write it on your comment card!". I think those comments must carry a lot of weight.

I wouldn't worry about food allergies. SOMEONE will eat those things. One new thing you brought up, though: home-made goodies. I wouldn't give homemade goodies to a stranger. I wouldn't eat that. Would you? Every now and then a student gives me something homemade. I'm always polite, of course, but unless that student's someone I know well and have taught for some time, I usually throw it away (at home, in my own trash can, of course, where there's no possibility of anyone knowing). You just never know.

I would worry about food allergies and the possibility that someone might be trying to diet and would find those goodies an unnecessary and unhealthy attraction. With cash, they can buy whatever goodies they want and fit their lifestyle. You are right on about those home-made items and I wonder how many crew members follow your example and after politely and maybe even enthusiastically thanking a guest for his or her generosity, then proceeds to discard the food items.

Sort of confused here. :confused: Many of the comments are POST-Cruise at tip time relating to adding extra tip. When I think of a "gift" for the cabin steward (since a good tip is a given) I figure it is PRE-Cruise when we are first introduced.

Not that we would expect anything but excellent attention but if we are going to make some requests right up front (ice in bucket at a certain time each day and an implied request to ignore certain bottles in view) it goes a long ways. Also sort of implies post-cruise tip so an incentive for the whole voyage.

We had done calling card last time but thanks to the info about cellphone use I was wondering about a pre-loaded Visa card. Works like cash but currency conversion would be automatic at different ports.

Also on pre-cruise gift...any chance there is a network or info passing about who did a pre-gift? That is, would they share that stateroon #7xxx is probable for good tips so that dining room and bar people might know good Seapass numbers to look out for? Does word get around I wonder?

[quote name='negc']I would worry about food allergies and the possibility that someone might be trying to diet and would find those goodies an unnecessary and unhealthy attraction. With cash, they can buy whatever goodies they want and fit their lifestyle. You are right on about those home-made items [B][COLOR=red]and I wonder how many crew members follow your example and after politely and maybe even enthusiastically thanking a guest for his or her generosity, then proceeds to discard the food items.[/COLOR][/B][/quote]

[COLOR=black]I bet a lot of them do this and I also think a lot of them will do this with some non-edible stuff they get. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]They are trained to always[/COLOR] [COLOR=#ff0000][B]enthusiastically thanking a guest for his or her generosity [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=black]but I´m quite sure they will think - more often than not - I´d preferred the cash they spent for this junk. [/COLOR]

[quote name='Sequim88']Sort of confused here. :confused: Many of the comments are POST-Cruise at tip time relating to adding extra tip. When I think of a "gift" for the cabin steward (since a good tip is a given) I figure it is PRE-Cruise when we are first introduced.

Not that we would expect anything but excellent attention but if we are going to make some requests right up front (ice in bucket at a certain time each day and an implied request to ignore certain bottles in view) it goes a long ways. Also sort of implies post-cruise tip so an incentive for the whole voyage.

We had done calling card last time but thanks to the info about cellphone use I was wondering about a pre-loaded Visa card. Works like cash but currency conversion would be automatic at different ports.

Also on pre-cruise gift...any chance there is a network or info passing about who did a pre-gift? That is, would they share that stateroon #7xxx is probable for good tips so that dining room and bar people might know good Seapass numbers to look out for? Does word get around I wonder?[/quote]

I don´t see a difference about it being at the beginning or the end of a cruise.

JMHO, but why make it more difficult with a prepaid Visa or other stuff. Cash is the most easy for you and them.

[quote name='Sequim88']

[/quote]

Some vendors do not accept those pre paid visa cards-- and if they are not used within a certain time-- money is started to be deducted- Its better off just giving the staff the money you were gonna put on that card---plus the fee

Beginning of Cruise - Helps establish a relationship (something they want to do anyway) and makes a statement...giving opportunity for extra attention and little touches that might not be extended to other cruisers. There's a lot of things they can do that are outside the standard. It's not expected so it's a "gift", it does not have to be given - not withstanding the subtle quid pro quo aspect.

End of cruise - Too late to influence anything. If service was excellent great, tip extra, but but the relationship ends there. The extra tip being a reward not a "gift".

On the Visa card a $20 card will never last long enough for fees to matter. But the acceptance factor is a good question. I just like the pre-cruise gift to be other than plain cash. Calling cards I thought were good because they demonstrated empathy for their being away from home & family but now know are not as useful as I had thought. Probably will just have to think of some way to dress up cash I guess.

[quote name='Sequim88']Beginning of Cruise - Helps establish a relationship (something they want to do anyway) and makes a statement...giving opportunity for extra attention and little touches that might not be extended to other cruisers. There's a lot of things they can do that are outside the standard. It's not expected so it's a "gift", it does not have to be given - not withstanding the subtle quid pro quo aspect.

End of cruise - Too late to influence anything. If service was excellent great, tip extra, but but the relationship ends there. The extra tip being a reward not a "gift".

On the Visa card a $20 card will never last long enough for fees to matter. But the acceptance factor is a good question. I just like the pre-cruise gift to be other than plain cash. Calling cards I thought were good because they demonstrated empathy for their being away from home & family but now know are not as useful as I had thought. Probably will just have to think of some way to dress up cash I guess.[/quote]

Giving a tip in advance assumes, without any proof, that one will receive better service or special treatment. The problem is that there is no way of knowing if you would have received the same quality of service is you had foregone the opportunity to give that advance gift. There is also the problem of what to do if, after providing an 'up front' gratuity, the service you receive is less than stellar.
We expect and almost always receive exceptional service when we cruise and have never felt any inclination to "bribe" our servers with some sort of advance payment that would supposedly improve the service they offer. :)

Not sure why there should be a need to "dress up" that plain cash. It spends equally well, however you present it.:rolleyes:

[quote name='Sequim88']Sort of confused here. :confused: Many of the comments are POST-Cruise at tip time relating to adding extra tip. When I think of a "gift" for the cabin steward (since a good tip is a given) I figure it is PRE-Cruise when we are first introduced.

I recently read a thread on this board about "Cruise Confidential." I ordered it from Amazon the same day. Oh, my, what an eyeopener! While it has mixed reviews, I, personally, I found the book fascinating. Rather than a "gift," you might request extra towels the first day and attach some cash to a post-it note.
Next day, post-it note saying "thanks!" - again, attach cash. The stateroom attendant's time off is in the afternoon. They don't bring ice again until their evening shift. Getting extra ice in the afternoons is a huge hassle. Knowing what we know now, we make a quick trip to the Windhammer with our ice bucket. Just wait 'till you read what the dining room staff goes through ... I don't see how they keep smiling!

I find it telling that a lot of these posts are "I think this," "I think that."

It doesn't matter what I think. It's not about me. It's about the hardworking people the are on the ship. THEY want cash. THEY don't want crap from the dollar store. Think about THEM, and not how we feel.

Their jobs are to give you good service. If they get money before doing one lick of work, why should they bother doing anything? And why would a box of chocolate make someone more likely to get your ice there at noon every day?

Archived