Marriott Biscayne Bay or Hilton Miami Downtown?

md10074

Which one of these would you pick? We were originally going to stay in Ft. Lauderdale since that's where we are flying into, but figured might as well get into Miami the day before so we don't have to rush so much the morning of our cruise.

Which of these hotels is closer to places to eat, maybe a liquor store and a drug store in case I forgot anything?

In the underground area connecting the Marriott to the Doubletree and some of the condo buildings there is a small grocery store that also stocks wine and beer. There's a good bar/dining room in the lobby of the Doubletree; walk to Biscayne and 18th (about 2 blocks) and there's a sushi place and "Bin 18" - nice bistro, great food, and extensive wine and beer list. :D

Sorry, I can't help with the hilton. :( Good luck!:)

Which one of these would you pick? We were originally going to stay in Ft. Lauderdale since that's where we are flying into, but figured might as well get into Miami the day before so we don't have to rush so much the morning of our cruise.

Which of these hotels is closer to places to eat, maybe a liquor store and a drug store in case I forgot anything?

I have not stayed at the Hilton, but have stayed at the Marriott Biscayne Bay and the Hyatt. Both are a short cab ride to Bayside marketplace for dinner. Or you can eat dinner at the hotel. When I was at the Hyatt there was a CVS a couple blocks away that was an easy walk. At the Marriott there is a basement area that has a few stores and restaurants connecting to the Doubletree. I don't know about liquor stores.

The Marriott is basically the same location as the Doubletree Grand Biscayne Bay and their lobbies are separated by the lobby of a condo complex. You can walk from one lobby to the next to the next and not even realize you're going from one to the other. It's almost like a mall with several restaurants.

I found a sports bar/restaurant that only the locals know about in the next building towards the port from the Marriott side. It's up on the 3rd, 4th or 5th floor of a condo complex that has good food at a great price. Sorry I can't remember the name of it, though. If you were to ask around I'm sure some of the locals can give you better directions.

But me personally...I would stay in Ft Lauderdale and enjoy the beach, Intercoastal, water taxi, plethora of restaurants and ease of getting around. You have all day to get to the POM so what's the rush?

I would stay in Ft. Lauderdale, but we're not going to land until after 4 pm, and I don't think my husband is going to want to go sightseeing. The only reason we are landing in FLL is that Jet Blue doesn't go to Miami. I think my husband will just want a place to eat that the kids would like, maybe go in the pool, get any last minute things, etc.

I think I'd rather be in Miami already just in case it's bad weather, since we will be going in hurricane season.

Oh...I forgot...

Less than a mile north of the Doubletree/Marriot is a great Cuban restaurant (one the east side of the street) and again I can't remember the name of the place (I'm getting old). I've walked it from the Doubletree, but they have free parking.

The restaurant is on the Northeast corner and on the southeast corner is a local neighborhood grocery/liquor store with some very low prices on liquor.

Oh...I forgot...

Less than a mile north of the Doubletree/Marriot is a great Cuban restaurant (one the east side of the street) and again I can't remember the name of the place (I'm getting old). I've walked it from the Doubletree, but they have free parking.

The restaurant is on the Northeast corner and on the southeast corner is a local neighborhood grocery/liquor store with some very low prices on liquor.

HA!

Google is a wonderful thing!

It's L&R Grocery at 2435 Biscayne Blvd and the Latin Cafe at 2501 Biscayne Blvd or the two corners of NE 25th and Biscayne Blvd. According to Google that would be .8 of a mile.

Thanks for the info. I'm leaning more towards the Marriott now. Plus my former boss works for a Marriott at night, so he can get me the friends & family rate.

As John said, that is one of the places that charge heftily for parking. It's $25 per night at the Doubletree and I think he said $29 for the Marriott, but I usually get a roll of quarters and park on the street instead.

Darlin'...If there's bad weather in Miami from a hurricane, you ain't goin' out on a cruise from there.

LOL I know, but I just feel better being close in case of bad rain or whatever, anything that might cause problems with traffic from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami, not necessarily an actual hurricane coming through.

I know, I know, I overthink these things, and to tell you the truth, picking the hotel to stay in for less than a day is harder than picking our cruise. LOL

As John said, that is one of the places that charge heftily for parking. It's $25 per night at the Doubletree and I think he said $29 for the Marriott, but I usually get a roll of quarters and park on the street instead.

I don't have to worry about parking because we won't have a car, which is why I want something where it's easy to walk and get food and any last minute things I need.

LOL I know, but I just feel better being close in case of bad rain or whatever, anything that might cause problems with traffic from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami, not necessarily an actual hurricane coming through.

I know, I know, I overthink these things, and to tell you the truth, picking the hotel to stay in for less than a day is harder than picking our cruise. LOL

I would presume you are going to the port on a weekend day? There's not much traffic on I-95 on the weekends and not really an issue, weather included.

I don't have to worry about parking because we won't have a car, which is why I want something where it's easy to walk and get food and any last minute things I need.

If you don't plan to have a car then I would definitely stay in Ft Lauderdale. If you don't have a car then you are going to pay twice for transportation, once to Miami and then a second time to the POM. Even if you do stay in Ft Lauderdale a rental car would still be less expensive than one time transfers/transportation.

If you don't plan to have a car then I would definitely stay in Ft Lauderdale. If you don't have a car then you are going to pay twice for transportation, once to Miami and then a second time to the POM. Even if you do stay in Ft Lauderdale a rental car would still be less expensive than one time transfers/transportation.

We're not going to rent a car in either case. We're going to take SAS to get to the hotel in Miami, which we would have had to pay for either way, and then get a cab from the hotel to POM. I read here it was about $10 (?) which is no problem.

We're not going to rent a car in either case. We're going to take SAS to get to the hotel in Miami, which we would have had to pay for either way, and then get a cab from the hotel to POM. I read here it was about $10 (?) which is no problem.

Yes, cab will be $10-12 plus tip from a downtown hotel to the port. If you stay at the Biscayne Bay Marriott ask for a room with a view of the bay and you will be able to see the ships from the window in your room. Sometimes they have specials on their website.

Just an FYI- I booked the Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay for the Escape Transportation Package which includes 1 king bed, 2 cocktails, breakfast for 2 and port shuttle Total $168.37 after Tax. This is our first cruise and first time to FL so I'm not sure if it's a great rate but it was worth it to us for the simplicity of having it all together.

Also I've heard good things about the Holiday Inn and if you go here http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1580935 you can use a Friends and Family discount that several people have posted.

Just an FYI- I booked the Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay for the Escape Transportation Package which includes 1 king bed, 2 cocktails, breakfast for 2 and port shuttle Total $168.37 after Tax. This is our first cruise and first time to FL so I'm not sure if it's a great rate but it was worth it to us for the simplicity of having it all together.

Also I've heard good things about the Holiday Inn and if you go here http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1580935 you can use a Friends and Family discount that several people have posted.

Thanks. That sounds good but I can get F&F rate for the Marriot for $111 for the night. I'd have to pay extra for breakfast and transfer to the port for the kids anyway. It's great for 2 people though. And the Holiday Inn one, eh, it's a couple dollars more than the Marriott and then I'd be nervous that it wouldn't work.

Thanks. That sounds good but I can get F&F rate for the Marriot for $111 for the night. I'd have to pay extra for breakfast and transfer to the port for the kids anyway. It's great for 2 people though. And the Holiday Inn one, eh, it's a couple dollars more than the Marriott and then I'd be nervous that it wouldn't work.

I got the Marriott for $99 on their website. There are all kinds of bargains out there.

I hear ya! I've spent so much time researching hotels, car rentals, shuttles, taxis etc that i'm going crazy lolol.

We're flying into FLL and have basically the same scenario as you do. We ABSOLUTELY are taking SAS down to our Miami hotel the night before the cruise. Sure, traffic may be fine and the weather may be great, but there is something to be said for the reassurance in knowing you're a 10 minute cab ride away from the port!

We still don't have the hotel, but we're using Priceline (for the first time) to snag a hotel near the cruise port. Coming home, we're renting a car and leisurely driving up the coast to our hotel in Fort Lauderdale before flying out the next morning.

I finally made up my mind and booked it. I picked the Hilton and got a bayview room with 2 queen beds for $89. I thought that was a good deal without going through the Priceline or Hotwire hassle. It was the cheapest I could find besides a regular view for $79, but the kids would like the bay view. Maybe we'll get to see the ship in the morning! It's booked in advance so I can't drive myself crazy and change my mind again. LOL What a relief!

I'm happy considering it's only $20 more than the hotel we were going to stay at in Ft. Lauderdale, and that was no water view and with a F&F rate.

Thank you for all your help. I know we're gonna have a great time.

I think all the research i have done has left me more confused! lol..

No reason to be.....do you want to stay near the port of Miami?? If so pick the Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, or Doubletree(all downtown Miami). Short cab ride to the ship from all of these.

No reason to be.....do you want to stay near the port of Miami?? If so pick the Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, or Doubletree(all downtown Miami). Short cab ride to the ship from all of these.

You say this but I am more confused also. I read about all the good deals that everyone finds and I call the hotel directly and the prices are close to $200.00 for Marriott Biscayne and over $200.00 for Holiday Inn Port of Miami:eek:

I have never used Hotwire, etc. and I have looked on them many times lately and I do not understand how they work:confused:

I am using SAS for their shuttle when we fly into FLL on the Friday and they will not "shuttle" to LaQuinta East. I had it all figured out we would stay their the Friday night and take the shuttle or cab to the POM Saturday morning:(

They will only shuttle to hotels in Miami Beach, South Beach and downtwon Miami. I was going to stay in Ft. Lauderdale (Sleep Inns) which is were we stayed last month, and take SAS shuttle in the morning to POM. The only problem is they will not pick us up until after 11:00 and I don't know how many hotels they pick up at. The ride is only about 1/2 hour but I want to get on the ship early enough to book a cabana in Half Moon Cay:confused::confused:

HELP!

I can understand and sympathize with your unfamiliarity with the various discount hotel sites. However, your cruise is nearly a year in the future. With a little curiosity, you could become one of the world's great experts on the use of those sites in that period of time.

Archived