What do teenage boys typically wear in the dining room?

Jeafl

Shorts aren't acceptable in the MDR for dinner. Neither are ball-caps and T-shirts.

Wrong, right, right.

OP, Read the FAQ from the Carnival website or read what someone above posted from it.

I have 4 boys - they all wore shorts (sometimes cargo) and polo shirts every non-formal night. They wore khakis or dress pants and button up shirts on formal night

Have yet to sail a Carnival cruise post relaxed dress policy where this was NOT the standard attire for many boys and men.

Wrong, right, right.

OP, Read the FAQ from the Carnival website or read what someone above posted from it.

like he said, allowed and accepted are 2 different things

Thanks for the explanation. I think the term "dress shorts" is an oxymoron and would never think of ANY shorts as dressy but I don't see why folks can't wear what they like while on vacation.

That is one of the reasons we really like Carnival. It is not all about formal clothes on a ship visiting INformal ports.

Carnival Cruise Lines = allowed

All but a few = accepted

I know when I take my boys with me on my cruise next April they will be dressed to impress, they will be 2 and 4 and nothing is better then seeing them dressed like little men, I cannot wait. If its not applebees than I will not wear shorts-guess it was just the way I was raised

We cruise in 9 days. My 12 and 14 yr old boys will be wearing shorts in the MDR. Not athletic shorts. We live in FL and have a very casual lifestyle. My boys wear shorts year round. No sense in buying new clothes to wear for 1wk.

We cruise in 9 days. My 12 and 14 yr old boys will be wearing shorts in the MDR. Not athletic shorts. We live in FL and have a very casual lifestyle. My boys wear shorts year round. No sense in buying new clothes to wear for 1wk.

I agree - we are headed out in a week and a half (I ADORE saying that) - and I am COMPLETELY fine with my 16 and 9 year old boys wearing shorts in the dining room. Odds are my 49 year old boy will be wearing shorts as well! This is VACATION, and the LAST thing I want to do is worry about what my boys are going to wear. They don't even wear dress pants to church - and would be made fun of if they did! It's a casual world.

What is so funny is that there are rarely any posts around here of what is worn around the swimming pool - which can often times be next to nothing. THAT is offensive to me, certainly not a pair of cargo shorts in the dining room.

I bet someone has already stated this, but I do not believe swim wear are allowed in the MDR, and the obvious, wear something YOU think is appropiate, the most important thing is what you think. If you wear someone wrong, then you learn from your mistake. :)

For guys, think of shorts that a golfer would wear on the course, they are pressed, just short of the knee. Not jeans, not cargo, not board shorts. I wear "dress shorts" golfing, and to casual dinners here at home. But on the cruise ship I feel like the dining room has an atmosphere that deserves for me to turn it up a notch.

Nothing says fine dining like waiters dancing on the tables, with all the pax yelling,screaming, and clapping.

Now that's fine dining .

Bill

Obviously, clothes. ;) However, I guess I was wondering if khaki cargo shorts and a polo are ok.

Tell them Formal night you will dress up.. all other nights let them eat in the Lido Buffet so you can enjoy dinner... Why worry about rushing to dinner when you could be out having fun!!!

John

For a 4 year old boy I wouldn't be sure of, but I would think he could wear shorts with a t-shirt. The cruise line shouldn't expect someone as young on 4 years to dress up in something like a tux.

Nothing says fine dining like waiters dancing on the tables, with all the pax yelling,screaming, and clapping.

Now that's fine dining .

Bill

Even this from a Philly guy...

Go Astros, and what happened to Bookbinders?

My problem is not getting him to wear the dress clothes, but will they fit appropriately. In the last year he has changed waist sizes 4 times and lengths 3, and we don't cruise until October. I will probably be dashing around town the week before trying to find at least one pair of dress pants that fit correctly. Thank goodness shirts and ties are the easy part.

Now his dad on the other hand.

Even this from a Philly guy...

Go Astros, and what happened to Bookbinders?

I think they tried dancing waiters and Zagats dropped them and they closed.;)

Astros have had no chance since they hired Ed Wade after we fired him.

Trade Oswalt up here will ya.;)

Bill

When my son was 11 we told him he needed to dress for the MDR. Didn't give him the choice. And quite frankly he liked it. We had one suit for Elegant nights and a pair of khaki's for the other. Right after dinner he was out of them and in the kids program. But for two hours a day, we made it a special time.

He's going to be 16 on this cruise and is looking foward to to it.

We're so busy every day at home, we like to take the time for this.

Don't worry about a jacket. Khaki's, two collared shirts and ties, polos the other nights.

Hmmm. Remember the days on planes and trains when we dressed up for travel? Everyone seemed alot more respectful then.

Shorts okay for first day and night in my book - don't know when you'll get suitcases, and last day you need to pack....

We've cruised with our sons since they were 12 and 5; they are now 25 and 18. We've always dressed within Carnival's guidelines in the MDR -- suits or tuxes for them and evening gowns or cocktail dresses for me on formal nights and khakis/golf shirts and sundresses or dressy capris on casual nights.

This will be our first cruise since the relaxed dress code and, honestly, we're all looking forward to it. Shorts ARE allowed and I'm sure my boys (husband included) will be wearing them. We'll still look just fine and will be dressed "appropriately" according to Carnival's guidelines. We'll also still get dressed up for elegant nights.

We live in Florida (always have) and spending time in Key West has surpassed cruising as our number one form of vacation. We live a comfortable, casual lifestyle. We already know "how" to dress appropriately and do. When Carnival's dress code said no shorts in the dining room, we didn't wear them (even though others did). Now we can and will (at least the boys probably will -- I'll probably still wear capris).

Were were on the Carnival Victory in March and my 13 year old son wore khaki shorts and a polo, except on the formal/elegant night wore black pants and a white lLong sleeve button down shirt. This was just fine. If he would have had to wear the long pants every night, we wouldn't have been going to the main dining room - same goes for my husband.....

Are you saying your husband wore shorts to the MDR for dinner?

What did you wear? shorts also or did you dress nicer?

The food is good, the wait staff is usually pretty good. What were the nice people at the other tables wearing. I could not tell you. I had a good time with my family and really didn't worry about it. Have a good time and enjoy!!!!

I don't understand why people want to go to the semi-fancy MDR for dinner, and not do their part for the experience, put on some nice clothes and enjoy the evening, or just go to the Lido deck.

As far as kids go, if they are little (young) dress them up, if they are not in kindergarten yet shorts are ok, if they are older than that pants for boys, and skirt/dress of nice pants for the girls, have their picture taken a few times (you don't have to buy them if you don't want to) let them make some of the choices of what they are having to eat. Let them know they are getting to pretend they are grown ups, and have fun.

If they are teenagers, talk about it before you ever leave home, if they want to come on the cruise, you are going to come to dinner at least (x) amount of times and you will dress nice, be polite, and act like the adult you are becoming, then let them order what they want to try off the menu, make it fun for them, they might just learn a thing or two about life and other cultures. If they don't want to agree to your request, leave them home, use their part of the price and get an upgrade.

This is just my opinion, so bash if you want.

You are so wrong. Check out the dress code. Shorts are acceptable on non-elegant nights.

they might be acceptable by written standards, but they are still WRONG in reality, grow up and put on a pair of nice pants, or go to the buffet.

My grandsons have cruised since ages 10 and did not mind putting on a dress shirt and tie for formal night. They also wore kakhi's or long pants with shirts a couple of nights. Usually the first and last night, they would wear longer shorts and a nice shirt. They enjoyed dressing up but would quickly change after dinner to hang with their friends in Circle C and etc. They didn't gripe about dressing up and in fact, secretly enjoyed the time we spent together, everyone looking nice and having a fun meal.

My grandsons have cruised since ages 10 and did not mind putting on a dress shirt and tie for formal night. They also wore kakhi's or long pants with shirts a couple of nights. Usually the first and last night, they would wear longer shorts and a nice shirt. They enjoyed dressing up but would quickly change after dinner to hang with their friends in Circle C and etc. They didn't gripe about dressing up and in fact, secretly enjoyed the time we spent together, everyone looking nice and having a fun meal.

Exactly, this is what I am talking about, have fun, enjoy the different situation, and they will grow and mature.

Archived