What do teenage boys typically wear in the dining room?

Jeafl

I don't understand why people want to go to the semi-fancy MDR for dinner, and not do their part for the experience, put on some nice clothes and enjoy the evening, or just go to the Lido deck.

As far as kids go, if they are little (young) dress them up, if they are not in kindergarten yet shorts are ok, if they are older than that pants for boys, and skirt/dress of nice pants for the girls, have their picture taken a few times (you don't have to buy them if you don't want to) let them make some of the choices of what they are having to eat. Let them know they are getting to pretend they are grown ups, and have fun.

If they are teenagers, talk about it before you ever leave home, if they want to come on the cruise, you are going to come to dinner at least (x) amount of times and you will dress nice, be polite, and act like the adult you are becoming, then let them order what they want to try off the menu, make it fun for them, they might just learn a thing or two about life and other cultures. If they don't want to agree to your request, leave them home, use their part of the price and get an upgrade.

This is just my opinion, so bash if you want.

Carnival allows longer dress shorts to be worn in the MDR on non-cruise elegant night. If you do not like this change in their policy, you have the choice to sail another line. Carnival is catering to customers who like a more relaxed dining experience and it is working for them. On our last Freedom cruise (our first after the change in policy), it was clear that the majority of the passenger were taking advantage of the relaxed dress code. If you wish to dress up, you still may. But looking down on others who do not is really not necessary. These passengers booked Carnival, not HAL, so they have the option to dress more casually. It is their option and if it would spoil your vacation by having others taking advantage of that option, then maybe you should consider that in making your travel plans. If how people dress bothers you, then Carnival is not the best match for a cruiseline for you and you could be happier cruising elsewhere.

By the way my husband did wear dress shorts in the MDR on non-cruise elegant night as well as my 2 teenagers. They were dressed like the majority of cruisers were. I tended to stick to capri's because I have the knobbiest knees on earth and I'd rather not show them off.:o The relaxed dress code is one of the reasons we like sailing on Carnival. We are the type of people Carnival is targeting and we enjoyed dining in the MDR on our last cruise.

OP here...thanks for all the opinions!

I guess I should have been more specific in my question. For the two elegant nights my son (who is 17 by the way) plans on wearing dress pants, dress shirt and a tie. No question about that.

I was wondering more about the non-elegant nights. Reason being, he has to pack yet another pair of shoes if he wears khaki pants instead of shorts. He already has to bring athletic shoes for the ziplining, (plus he's a runner), water shoes for the beach and deck, dress shoes for elegant nights and his flip flops. If he wears the khaki pants on regular nights, he has a pair of brown Skechers shoes he would have to bring to wear with them.

With 5 of us going, and t $25 a bag for the flights, we are trying to keep the luggage (and therefore the shoes) to a miniimum!

OP here...thanks for all the opinions!

I guess I should have been more specific in my question. For the two elegant nights my son (who is 17 by the way) plans on wearing dress pants, dress shirt and a tie. No question about that.

I was wondering more about the non-elegant nights. Reason being, he has to pack yet another pair of shoes if he wears khaki pants instead of shorts. He already has to bring athletic shoes for the ziplining, (plus he's a runner), water shoes for the beach and deck, dress shoes for elegant nights and his flip flops. If he wears the khaki pants on regular nights, he has a pair of brown Skechers shoes he would have to bring to wear with them.

With 5 of us going, and t $25 a bag for the flights, we are trying to keep the luggage (and therefore the shoes) to a miniimum!

No need for the khaki pants and sketchers. The long shorts are fine. DS(16) wore newer athletic shoes with his and he was dressed like the majority of teen boys in dining room. I think part of the reason Carnival has changed their dress code is to help passengers cope with airline luggage limitations (along with the general relaxation of dress codes our country has seen in recent years). IMHO it was a very sensible thing for Carnival to do.

i'm so tired of people saying "shorts are not acceptable" in the MDR,

THEY ARE... if they are dress shorts, and they can be worn on non-formal nights... look at the Carnival dress code... it just get to me how people freak out over this subject...

OP... dress shorts and a polo shirt are fine... I wear them to every meal except "dress-up night "

Having an opinion means that you are freaking out ?

they might be acceptable by written standards, but they are still WRONG in reality, grow up and put on a pair of nice pants, or go to the buffet.

Who's reality?:confused:

Its the cruiselines ship,they state dress shorts are fine. The REALITY is dress shorts are fine. Are you one of those lets play dress up look at me look at me people? You are probably one of those that we look at and snicker as they are trying to pretend they are it or are trying to fit into clothing that does not fit.Do you walk with a different stride down to dinner on elegant nights?As we laugh are butts off again.But its all OK as people watching is a CCL activity.Kathy lee touted it on a video for the Fantasy many years ago.

Can you please explain how they are wrong on a caribbean cruise in the caribbean eating pre-prepared cafeteria style food in a room filled with picture taking,whooping and yelling of color wars,announcements,table dancing and a conga line is worth of dressing up. Just because they put extra silverware does not change the fact that its not 5 star dining.You can put lipstick on a pig but its still a pig.

If you don't like the dress code on CCL, you grow up and sail on another line that does not allow shorts.This is the Walmart of the sea's cruiseline.

Steve

Sailing on the Walmart of the sea's in a few days while wearing his dress shorts to dinner everynight.

Which brings the question....If I am from Bermuda,dress shorts were part of elegant dinning attire.:D

I don't understand why people want to go to the semi-fancy MDR for dinner, and not do their part for the experience, put on some nice clothes and enjoy the evening, or just go to the Lido deck.

Because I don't find the MDR all that fancy. Or even semi-fancy. It's Applebee's quality food, so they get Applebee's quality clothes. And don't get me started on how the waiter parade further degrades the experience.

they might be acceptable by written standards, but they are still WRONG in reality, grow up and put on a pair of nice pants, or go to the buffet.

Would that me your highly-skewed reality? Or the real reality in which the cruiselines allow it? You're not the arbiter of wrong. Grow up and accept that reality.

If the way your fellow cruisers dress so offends your sensabilities, stay in your room and order room service.

Because I don't find the MDR all that fancy. Or even semi-fancy. It's Applebee's quality food, so they get Applebee's quality clothes. And don't get me started on how the waiter parade further degrades the experience.

How about the announcements over the PA?

Steve

How about the announcements over the PA?

Steve

An unfortunate neccessity, especially in a society that has a habit of not reading things like directions, instructions, and necessary information distributed nightly by the cruiseline.

Tell them Formal night you will dress up.. all other nights let them eat in the Lido Buffet so you can enjoy dinner... Why worry about rushing to dinner when you could be out having fun!!!

John

Carnival does not have formal nights.

I'll be in the MDR with shorts on non elegant nights. For elegant nights, I will be there wearing long pants with a button shirt. This is Carnival's policy, not yours. If YOU don't like it, sail with a different line.

Silverado, I do believe on my Carnival cruise, they had a formal night. It might of had to do with the Captain, but it was still a formal night. :)

Carnival converted Formal Night to Elegant Night. It has a more relaxed dress code than previously.

Although I have seen similar questions asked and answered on this board and Carnival's, it is always fun to read the responses. My only cruise so far was with my Dad and sister-in-law and we loved dressing up for dinner!

This year the whole family is coming including my DH and DS. My son, 16, is excited about the whole "dressing for dinner". He wants to wear his white jeans with his white shoes....hmmm, I wonder if he can pull this off on formal night? I am bringing his black dress pants in my suitcase!

My husband is glad it is not "formal" every night. I am primarily concerned about my brother whose idea of dressing up is Khakis and a black silky t-shirt. I asked my sister-in-law to prepare him to wear a collared shirt on formal night. Keeping my fingers crossed!

I hear teenager I think 13 years old or older, at that age I would hope they know better then to wear cargo shorts to dinner. Let them decide what is appropriate for dinner, you might be pleasantly surprised in what they think is good.

If I were to let my DS-13 decide, he'd go in basketball shorts and a t-shirt (as would 1 of my DDs-11, I have twin DDs-11). My DH and I would not go to MDR looking like we just came in from a day at HMC (no ball caps, or tank tops or casual shorts or t-shirts for us), but I don't really care what others wear and I think dress shorts and nice flip-flop/sandals are fine. I'm also not buying a suit for my DS to wear 1 time, so he'll wear dress pants and a polo (or buttton down with a tie) on elegant night.

As far as kids go, if they are little (young) dress them up, if they are not in kindergarten yet shorts are OK, if they are older than that pants for boys, and skirt/dress of nice pants for the girls, have their picture taken a few times (you don't have to buy them if you don't want to) let them make some of the choices of what they are having to eat. Let them know they are getting to pretend they are grown ups, and have fun.

If they are teenagers, talk about it before you ever leave home, if they want to come on the cruise, you are going to come to dinner at least (x) amount of times and you will dress nice, be polite, and act like the adult you are becoming, then let them order what they want to try off the menu, make it fun for them, they might just learn a thing or two about life and other cultures. If they don't want to agree to your request, leave them home, use their part of the price and get an upgrade.

This is just my opinion, so bash if you want.

To clarify what I am trying (badly) to say, if you want to wear nice shorts and a shirt with a collar, that is fine, it does not both me either way. My family dresses up a little for normal nights, and suit/dress for formal/elegant night. But that is us.

The people I am talking about are the ones that say "my teen wont wear a dress shirt, or dress pants, they want to wear shorts, and a t-shirt or they wont come to the MDR" Sometimes kids need guided a little and it will help them grow as a person.

Continue the bashing if you need, Thank you and have fun.

My 16 yo son wears nice khaki shorts and a shirt each night except Elegant, then he wears black pants and a button up shirt. Most teen boys we saw were dressed pretty much the same. The only ones that were dressed in suits, were the ones where the whole family was dressed really nice. Now the teen girls were a different story;), we saw alot dressed up really nice.:)

Well said! I don't know why it bother's people how others are dressed in the MDR. It doesn't effect my meal or my family in the slightest!

Enjoy the cruise...:cool:

the clothing guidelines (rules) are clearly stated on CCLs website as to what is permissable...now, if they would only enforce them as well as they seem to do with fans, blow dryers & electrical surge protectors...:rolleyes:

personally, i'd rather see a dress pair of jeans vs dress shorts in the MDR, except if going bermuda route.

if they're man enough to wear the full get-up they deserve to be seated:p, heck they should be comped a drink!

BermudaShortsallpostersdotcom.jpg

if they're man enough to wear the full get-up they deserve to be seated:p, heck they should be comped a drink!

BermudaShortsallpostersdotcom.jpg

I'm not buying anyone a drink who's dressed like this:

miumiu.jpg

I don't care if it's Miumiu. It looks freakin' ridiculous. And yes, I actually have seen people wearing these suits in real life. Most have the good sense not to wear those shoes though.

(That said, I also don't care if they come to dinner it also. :D)

luddite,

what makes you think dress shorts are not allowed in

the MDR ? it's posted right on the Carnival site.

I did not mean ya'll were freaking out over this topic, but I have read soooo many threads about this same subject and it's always the same... some say dress up all the time, some say don't... it's up to each person how they dress for the MDR.. I will be able to eat my food no matter how anyone is dressed.:)

and as for me.. I have "great" legs and will be showing them off ;) LOL

GB, just because they won't throw you out of the MDR for wearing them doesn't mean that shorts are "acceptable." No one gets thrown in jail for cursing in public either, but that doesn't mean it's acceptable behavior.

And you are almost certain to be sent away if you try to get into the MDR on formal night in shorts (or even jeans).

I'm afraid you are reinforcing the unfortunate perception that most young men are slobs who don't give a rat's hair about anybody but themselves.

Memo to all the ladies, especially young ones: men will stop dressing like slobs (backward ball caps, untucked shirts, uncombed hair, etc.) when you insist that they stop - and not before then.

GB, just because they won't throw you out of the MDR for wearing them doesn't mean that shorts are "acceptable." No one gets thrown in jail for cursing in public either, but that doesn't mean it's acceptable behavior.

And you are almost certain to be sent away if you try to get into the MDR on formal night in shorts (or even jeans).

I'm afraid you are reinforcing the unfortunate perception that most young men are slobs who don't give a rat's hair about anybody but themselves.

Memo to all the ladies, especially young ones: men will stop dressing like slobs (backward ball caps, untucked shirts, uncombed hair, etc.) when you insist that they stop - and not before then.

While I admire your efforts at the continued refinement of the male of the species, with all due respect, you are not the arbiter of what is and what is not acceptable behavior on a Carnival ship. Carnival is.

Archived