New Princess Traditional Dining Times

BalconyGal

I got this from my TA, I hope it may help anyone with questions about TD. Sorry if this was already posted.

Ship

Traditional Dining Seating Times

Grand/Diamond Class

Grand Princess

Golden Princess

Star Princess

Caribbean Princess

Crown Princess

Emerald Princess

Ruby Princess

Diamond Princess

Sapphire Princess

5:30 pm (NEW)

6:00 pm

8:15 pm

Coral Class and Sea Princess

Sea Princess (non-Australia voyages)

Coral Princess

Island Princess

5:15 pm (NEW)

Small Ships

Ocean Princess

Pacific Princess

Royal Princess

Sun Class (Australia voyages)

Dawn Princess

Sun Princess

Sea Princess (Australia voyages)

5:30 pm

7:45 pm

Does this mean that there are three TD seating's on the Coral Princess?

It means on this and other ships that have anytime dining, that all or part of one anytime dining room will be used at 5:30 for a fixed traditional seating. When those diners finish, their tables will be anttime for the rest of the evening.

I don't klnow why Princess would need to use one of the anytime dining rooms for traditional seating. The 6:00 traditional seating on the Emerald always had empty tables so I'm not sure why additional time and dining room space is needed.

I don't klnow why Princess would need to use one of the anytime dining rooms for traditional seating. The 6:00 traditional seating on the Emerald always had empty tables so I'm not sure why additional time and dining room space is needed.

We have seen this on many ships.

I don't get it.

Read vab1224 post. ;)

While it is true there may be empty tables , they are not available. There are people booked there eating in the alternative restaurants(allowed and keeps their spot) Also the wait list is not monitored very well after the first few nights.Some people got booked early traditional by heir travel agent, decided they didn't want it, didn't tell anyone and just went to any time where cards are not checked.The whole thing is a mess, thats why part of an anytime will be used for the early sitting of 5:30. where else would they do it? Grand has 3 dining rooms. Only one traditional.Two any time.

This thing of trying to keep everyone happy by not checking anything actually makes alot of people unhappy. aka 600 people on the early dining wait list who didn't get it.

Hopefully the additional early dining option of 5:30 will help make more people happy.Someone in Anytime may find a bit more of a wait for early dining. It would seem now if you want to eat early, you should really go with traditional, unless you want to wait 45 minutes to be seated. That will be the next complaint.Wasn't it easier when everyone had a fixed time and could walk right into the dining room with no wait and sit at their table?

We are in a world with less structure every day. It's hard for some to wear anything but a t shirt to a nice restaurant. Everyone wants to look the same. Buy comfortable clothes that fit and formal night will be a joy not a time when ill fitting clothes are too tight. I am more comfortable in My Tux then jeans, and I feel better.Khakis fit me better than jeans.

Sorry for the rant but one of my pet peeves.

While it is true there may be empty tables , they are not available. There are people booked there eating in the alternative restaurants(allowed and keeps their spot) .

This is true

plus they change to Anytime during their cruise.

Or they missed their dining time and have no choice but to dine somewhere else.

Maybe they didn't like who they sat with...and moved on to better company. ;) ;)

There are many reasons why the Traditional tables are vacant.

So why add an additional time? :rolleyes:

Just fill those seats up, if the pax do not arrive within a given time.

It wasn't the Emerald, but I have been number 412 on the waitlist for early dining on another Princess ship. That meant 822 people before me wanted early traditional and could not have it, more than enough to fill another dining room.

It wasn't the Emerald, but I have been number 412 on the waitlist for early dining on another Princess ship. That meant 822 people before me wanted early traditional and could not have it, more than enough to fill another dining room.
Remember, quite a few people cruise as singles so it's not double the number on the waiting list. :) Also, many people are booked into Traditional by their TAs and once they board, change their minds. The first day or so, there's always a lot of shuffling and moving around.

As for those concerned that the new early dining time will take over the Anytime dining room, I really doubt (although this is a guess) that they'll use just a secion of one of the Anytime dining rooms. I could be wrong but this is what I suspect will happen. I guess we'll know soon.

To me, if there was a waitlist for traditional, that meant many people didn't get their "personal choice." So definitely, it's a good move for Princess. Have the option available. If they don't fill up that seating, then make tables available for anytime.

But in addition, as many have said, have the staff check the cards. If someone's card says the name of the traditional dining room, maybe they are new to cruising. A gentle explanation of which dining room to go to would be in order.

But even before this, why not make sure the TAs selling Princess cruises be told that they should explain the dining option to their clients and see what they want to sign up for. Have a better explanation of what "personal choice dining is" on the website (the way that many use it here on CC makes me think they are referring to "anytime dining," and I think the princess.com site doesn't help in any clarification). Have the dining choice listed on their invoice (with traditional and the time -- and the name of the restaurant; or anytime and the names of the restaurants and time period, actually listed...and with the suggestion that if this needs to be changed, then the passenger should notify their TA or Princess rep).

Also clarify the choices available to the party of passengers in the booking (eg. the Horizon, UBD, Sabinitinis are also available for your dining pleasure).

Make it clear where you can go to dine and maybe there won't be tons of empty seats in the t.d.r. or long waits in the a.d.r.

I have also seen in traditional:

a) Tables occupied except on formal night because the passengers do not want to dress up those evenings.

b) Tables occupied only on formal nights because the passengers like formal night dining, but do not want the dining room experience the other evenings.

Have the dining choice listed on their invoice (with traditional and the time -- and the name of the restaurant; or anytime and the names of the restaurants and time period' date=' actually listed...and with the suggestion that if this needs to be changed, then the passenger should notify their TA or Princess rep). [/quote']

I can't see the possibility of naming the restautant. I am booked for a cruise fifteen months in the future. Can Princess know all about demand vs. capacity at this point? If they can, then let me have that crystal ball of theirs. :)

As for those concerned that the new early dining time will take over the Anytime dining room, I really doubt (although this is a guess) that they'll use just a secion of one of the Anytime dining rooms. I could be wrong but this is what I suspect will happen. I guess we'll know soon.

No matter what they will do, I guarantee a good percentage of complainers.

As for those concerned that the new early dining time will take over the Anytime dining room, I really doubt it.

The people who will be assigned to the new early traditional time were probably going to be in anytime anyway, either because they were waitlisted for early traditional or they prefer to eat at the time the anytime dining rooms open.

Thus, there really should not be any real problem for those who like anytime dining.

a) Tables occupied except on formal night because the passengers do not want to dress up those evenings.

b) Tables occupied only on formal nights because the passengers like formal night dining, but do not want the dining room experience the other evenings.

These are perfect examples of why they should have an anytime dining room set up for casual dining on all evenings.

These are perfect examples of why they should have an anytime dining room set up for casual dining on all evenings.

It seems then, from your statement that you would be in favor of denying those of us that choose Anytime Dining the opportunity to partake of Formal nights.

Bah Humbug :rolleyes:

I can't see the possibility of naming the restautant. I am booked for a cruise fifteen months in the future. Can Princess know all about demand vs. capacity at this point? If they can, then let me have that crystal ball of theirs. :)

No matter what they will do, I guarantee a good percentage of complainers.

The name of the traditional dining room is already known. So if you have signed up for td, that could be listed. If there's more than one td on your ship, they could be listed as such: "confirmed second seating, either TD1 or TD2" with the dining rooms listed. Would drive home the point that you just can't show up in any of the dining rooms -- which is probably the problem that many people keep referring to.

And exactly how would this work? Quite a few Princess ships have only one dining room total, or one dining room each for Anytime and Traditional. There are so many other options to formal night that why should Princess have some people in a dining room dressed according to the guidelines and others who are in T-shirts and jeans?

I've been on quite a few cruises when I haven't felt like dressing up. We either go to a specialty restaurant, do room service or eat in the buffet. I'm not going to starve to death nor do I feel cheated out of something that "I paid good money for." You make your choices.

I can see "A" as a prime reason for vacant tables in TD.

I know many who forgo formal night and dine somewhere else.

"B" I don't get...:rolleyes:

It seems then, from your statement that you would be in favor of denying those of us that choose Anytime Dining the opportunity to partake of Formal nights.

Bah Humbug :rolleyes:

If they can segregate a section of the anytime dining room for those who enjoy dressing formally they can do the same without any more trouble for those who prefer to dress casually on formal evenings and still have the same sit meal down experience.

And exactly how would this work? Quite a few Princess ships have only one dining room total, or one dining room each for Anytime and Traditional. There are so many other options to formal night that why should Princess have some people in a dining room dressed according to the guidelines and others who are in T-shirts and jeans?

If the particular ship only has one type of dining room then it wouldn't be feasible but most of the newer ships seem to have 2 any-times & 1 formal.

I've been on quite a few cruises when I haven't felt like dressing up. We either go to a specialty restaurant, do room service or eat in the buffet. I'm not going to starve to death nor do I feel cheated out of something that "I paid good money for." You make your choices.

As you well realize we will never come to an agreement about the suggested dress code interpretation but on all the Princess ships I've been on in in the last 5 years being the Crown Ruby, Emerald, Sun, Star, Diamond, Island, Grand, Dawn, Caribbean (and not the smaller ones) the dress code has been reduced for the guys to dress pants & a dress shirt without a jacket or tie. (Lately even short sleeve shirts are being "tolerated" without question.) I've checked out all the photo's on the wall the last cruise & there were lots of guys dressed exactly that way in both the anytime & traditional dining rooms. Obviously there must be more guys than a few who have abandoned the idea of the true formal dress & still enjoy the idea of being served the better food in the dining room.

If there are truly that many, there is no reason why they can't section off a portion of the anytime dining room for people who want to dress down on formal evenings not to offend people like your self who feel cheated because there are others who don't wish to comply. At least the non-conformers would be confined to one section & not scattered throughout the DR the way they are today.

Until then, the non conformers will continue to be seated to the dismay of the formalists and may possibly even be seated at you table.

Archived