Novo Virus on the Island

Kamloops50

Ugh! I certainly hope that our ship doesn't get ANY infections during our cruise in July.

My 13 year old son is constantly touching his nose and biting his nails. I have to no avail tried to get him to stop this nasty habit by explaining how filthy and germy it is.

He will be sleeping in the same cabin as my mom so I have also mentioned to him that if HE gets sick and has to be quarantined, so will his grandmother. :(

He will be sleeping in the same cabin as my mom so I have also mentioned to him that if HE gets sick and has to be quarantined, so will his grandmother. :(

She will not be quarantined unless she also becomes ill.

She will not be quarantined unless she also becomes ill.

Really???

On their last cruise a couple of years ago aboard NCL, my dad threw up in a public area. They were BOTH were quarantined for 24 hours. He had no other symptoms so my mom said she did not feel that he had the Norwalk. It had happened several times at home, she felt that it was simply his age (86) and poor physical condition.

MY DH unfortunately contracted Noro on our Panama Canal cruise on the Island this past November. We felt that we practically had bathed in hand sanitizer, but to no avail-actually I think the germs are airborne.

I believe that hand-sanitizer is anti-bacterial: It does not kill viruses, and Noro is a virus. The best way to protect yourself is to wash hands thoroughly and frequently with soap and hot water. Also, do not touch your mouth, eyes, ears, and nose with your fingers.

We just got off the Diamond in Whittier on Saturday. It was my understanding that the two previous cruises on the Diamond has outbreaks. We were delayed in getting on the ship the first day (I assume they were cleaning it), in the buffet things were served and someone handed you a plate and silverware after you put hand sanitizer on your hands. There was not salt or pepper on the tables. There were also signs on the washers that they were set to the hottest water setting and a few other places I noticed some precautions. About three days into the cruise they came on the pa and announced that the ship had been given a 100% clean rating (no more noro) and everyone clapped.

I personally preferred it when they served you in the buffet. I think things ran smoother but I suppose it involved more man power. I was careful not to touch the rails and to use my elbow to hit the elevator buttons. It was nice to let my guard down when the rating came in at 100% but I guess that could have been stupid too. I only used the public restrooms in an emergency.

Must say I had a terrible stomach upset the last tw days but hopefully that was just from a very very warm plane.

You do NOT want to be quarantined on the ship, at sea or in port. Being isolated in your small cabin is not any fun whatsoever. Even if you have a balcony room it’s like a prison cell.

While it would be irresponsible for someone to hide a contagious illness, you should avoid unnecessary quarantine at all costs. If you have any kind of gastrointestinal upset I would be very careful about reporting to sick bay. The CDC says that Norovirus symptoms may also include “a low-grade fever, chills, headache, muscle aches, and a general sense of tiredness.” Without something other than loose bowels I’m not going to report my discomfort as Norovirus.

It’s my opinion that 50% of the diarrhea reported as Norovirus is due to the drastic change in diet, and rich diet, that many passengers are suddenly exposed to on a cruise. Those of us that have tried the ice cream on Princess know how rich it is.

The problem is that too many people with Norovirus self-treat and spread the virus by not reporting it, leaving their cabins before they should. Recommending they do so is a disservice to the other passengers.

Having had what was probably Noro on a Royal Princess cruise (it could have been bacterial due to unsanitary conditions in Israel), there was no way I wanted to leave my cabin. Heck, I stayed an extra 24 hours after they said it was OK to leave because: a) I didn't want to possibly infect anyone else; and b) I still felt awful and had no energy nor desire to eat anything more than a bit of toast and consomme.

The problem is that too many people with Norovirus self-treat and spread the virus by not reporting it, leaving their cabins before they should. Recommending they do so is a disservice to the other passengers.

Having had what was probably Noro on a Royal Princess cruise (it could have been bacterial due to unsanitary conditions in Israel), there was no way I wanted to leave my cabin. Heck, I stayed an extra 24 hours after they said it was OK to leave because: a) I didn't want to possibly infect anyone else; and b) I still felt awful and had no energy nor desire to eat anything more than a bit of toast and consomme.

Hi Pam in CA,

I thought that I was being clear when I said “While it would be irresponsible for someone to hide a contagious illness…”

What I was suggesting is that passenger are predisposed to conclude that they have Norovirus when in fact it’s not the case at all. In your case, “and b) I still felt awful and had no energy nor desire to eat anything more than a bit of toast and consomme.” that would be the additional symptoms that you might correctly consider that you might have a case of Norovirus.

But if you like to hang out in your cabin needlessly that is your call. You know that if you report into sick call they are going to quarantine you automatically. Otherwise if it came out that you were released and a outbreak was detected, even If you had nothing to do with it, Princess would be the subject of legal proceedings.

Cheers, VegasPier

I had diarrhea on our Amazon cruise. I was pretty sure it wasn't norovirus, no cramps or whatever, but I still reported it. I'm not a doctor.

They quarantined me for the first couple days. They then decided it was bacterial and removed the quarantine but I still didn't want to leave the ship and have an accident. My husband was not at all ill and was free to leave the cabin.

I still wish I had some photos of the haz-mat people who came to clean our cabin.

The restrictions seem to have been lifted by lunch. This morning the staff served the fresh fruit and danish I brought back to the cabin, but at lunch we were able to serve our selves. I didn't see the salt and peppers back on the tables in the horizon court, but that may be just because they hadn't had time to get them all back out.

We are traveling up the outer (or Western) path and having 1.5 to 4 foot seas. Just a little rolling, but was enough to encourage me to take a nap.

Cloudy, but not raining and tomorrow in Ketchikan is going to be just fine.

Just a quick update for those who might be coming on board the Island soon.

Jonna

MY DH unfortunately contracted Noro on our Panama Canal cruise on the Island this past November. We felt that we practically had bathed in hand sanitizer, but to no avail-actually I think the germs are airborne. Believe me, you do not want to be quarantined for a few more days-quarantine is exactly that-you do not leave your cabin and his case it was 48 hours. Food is delivered, a special crew cleans your room (they all wear surgical masks and were called the Hit Squad) and the nurse calls every few hours. I saw the list of cabins being cleaned by the hit squad and it looked like about 30 at that time.

I think we were on the same cruise (Nov 20??) and I wasn't aware there was Noro on board till I saw your post.....

HI David,

Yes, we cruised over Thanksgiving on the Island (partial transit) and yes, Noro hit my DH on the day the ship went into the canal. He went to the medical center after the ship dropped anchor in Gatun Lake and he missed Costa Rica. Fortunately we were traveling with friends so he just stayed in the cabin and recuperated and I went out!

One of the good things Princess does, which I don't think has been mentioned is that you get a full refund of any shore excursions booked through the ship if the medical center stamps your tickets. So, even though we paid for the medical center visit (which we had no problem with!) we saved much more than that as we had an expensive shore excursion booked that was refunded.

Happy travels!

Archived