Emerald Sanctuary Questions

loujill

I am a little confused about the Sanctuary concept...

I have read that you have to pay extra to use, what are the costs and where do you pay?

I understand the idea of a relaxing "adults only" area, but why do we need to pay a surcharge on top of the cruise price? Are there other goodies associated with it other than just "cushy" lounge chairs? :confused:

You don't need to pay if you just want to find a public area that is quiet, there are plenty of top deck areas that are away from the pools that are free. Most are in the sun, but some are in the shade. The sanctuary is for people who want a quiet, spa-like atmosphere, you pay $10 for a morning or afternoon session and you pay when it opens for the session. Full day and full week passes are also available.

Waiter and Bar Tender service is provided exclusively. There is a special menu from which one can order snacks. I think there is a delivery charge of $3 per order.

Are there other goodies associated with it other than just "cushy" lounge chairs? :confused:

We get it for the entire cruise ($15/day/pp) because we like to know where our loungers are without searching each day. Also means you can come and go and the lounger is still yours AND if one of us goes off to do another activity we can find the other without having to go back to the cabin.

(AND the Sanctuary is a no smoking area!)

We have had Sanctuary on our last 2 cruises. We book an inside room on the Lido deck and then book Sanctuary for the entire week. We only have to walk up one flight of stairs and we are there. Yes it does cost, but we believe it is worth the cost. If you book for the week, you ave the opportunity to select a lounger and where you want it. Due to medical reasons, I need to sit in the shade so we book a double lounger in an area which provides more shade than sun. Sanctuary has its own stewards that take very good care of you. It is nice and quiet - no kids running around. It really is a personal preference whether you feel it is worth the additional money. We like knowing that when we want to go and sit outside that we don't have to walk all over looking for a chair.

Darlene

We enjoy using the sanctuary. We don't book it for the whole cruise, since we're always quite busy going ashore. We try to book for the afternoons. The cushioned chairs and quiet are great for real relaxation. They give you MP3 players, upon request.

We also used the thermal suites on one occasion. it cost us $20 for the day. While it was nice, we found we didn't use it much, so to book for just one day was worth it

We enjoy using the sanctuary. We don't book it for the whole cruise, since we're always quite busy going ashore. We try to book for the afternoons. The cushioned chairs and quiet are great for real relaxation. They give you MP3 players, upon request.

We also used the thermal suites on one occasion. it cost us $20 for the day. While it was nice, we found we didn't use it much, so to book for just one day was worth it

Hi Linda!

When you book the Sanctuary for just an afternoon, do you have to do it that very day, or can you book say, a Thursday afternoon in advance on a Tuesday if you know your schedule?

You have to go the morning of the day you want. You could put it off until the afternoon but then you take the chance that someone else could come in the AM and take the last available lounger.

Hi Linda!

When you book the Sanctuary for just an afternoon, do you have to do it that very day, or can you book say, a Thursday afternoon in advance on a Tuesday if you know your schedule?

Mary

Recently, most of the ships are requiring you to come in the afternoon for that half and go in the morning, for the morning shift. Sometimes I've been able to talk them into booking my afternoon in the morning. Sometimes, they make me come back. This seems to be a new policy, since our Feb cruise.

(I recall you have taken the Sanctuary for the entire cruise)

We had no problems on our Med cruise, getting the afternoons on sea days. They were always available. For the Caribb., I got it primarily at the beginning of the cruise. By the last sea day, on both Caribb. cruises, the Sanctuary caught on, and I didn't get it for the last day.

Also, I try to take a lounge upstairs near the sanctuary, so I can beat others on the line for a spot.

Yes Linda, we got it for the duration in the Carib, and probably would again there, since our vacations to the Carib are simply to relax and get away from it all. I was thinking of the next time we plan a Europe cruise that we might like it for an occasional afternoon. Thanks!

I was afraid someone would say that! We'll have to try to get there early.

Don't worry too much. It doesn't fill up that fast. You will have plenty of time the day of embarkation

I would do it first thing on embarkation. The earlier you get there the better the choice of where you will sit. It takes two seconds to sign up and then you can explore the ship, eat lunch, etc. at your leisure. (BTW - you sign up in the Sanctuary itself)

Don't worry too much. It doesn't fill up that fast. You will have plenty of time the day of embarkation

It varies by cruise.

Some have posted that they went to book it on embarkation day but the number of lounges that can be reserved for the entire cruise had already been booked.

Others, like yourself, have found the opposite.

Just off the Emerald for a week in Eastern Carib. We booked the sanctuary loungers for the week. We arrived at the pier around 11:00 got our purple #1 cards we embarked around 11:45- 12:00 and I was the first person in line up at the sanctuary for the loungers. By the time I was finished picking out the 4 loungers we wanted, there were 3 other couples waiting in line behind us. I did notice that the loungers in the sun were all occupied for the week. I did not pay attention to the shaded areas as we love the sun. It was totally worth every penny for us to have those chairs in the nice quiet area, total relaxation. They will offer you bar service, however there is a $3.00 charge per order. We just walked down a staircase to the bar nearest, ordered our drinks and brought them back up. Not a problem. They will offer you ice water and cold face towels during the day and also spray your face w/ evian water. They offer MP3 players, but I had my own. The staff were always available, but they didn't hover over us, which we liked.

Just off the Emerald for a week in Eastern Carib. We booked the sanctuary loungers for the week. We arrived at the pier around 11:00 got our purple #1 cards we embarked around 11:45- 12:00 and I was the first person in line up at the sanctuary for the loungers. By the time I was finished picking out the 4 loungers we wanted, there were 3 other couples waiting in line behind us. I did notice that the loungers in the sun were all occupied for the week. I did not pay attention to the shaded areas as we love the sun. It was totally worth every penny for us to have those chairs in the nice quiet area, total relaxation. They will offer you bar service, however there is a $3.00 charge per order. We just walked down a staircase to the bar nearest, ordered our drinks and brought them back up. Not a problem. They will offer you ice water and cold face towels during the day and also spray your face w/ evian water. They offer MP3 players, but I had my own. The staff were always available, but they didn't hover over us, which we liked.

Do you remember how much it was for the week?

Do you remember how much it was for the week?

If you book for the entire cruise it's $15/day/pp.

To use the adults only pool, do you have to reserve seating in the sanctuary?

Depends on the ship. On the Coral and the Island the pool is in the Sanctuary and so ,yes, you have to reserve a lounger to use it. On the Grand class ships it's outside of the Sanctuary area so anyone can use that pool.

Thanks, Karen. I'm thinking about trying it out if I sail this summer. It's actually the same cost as it was on the Coral -- but that was a 15-day cruise so the sticker shock was a lot more than for a 7-day so I passed!

No. The Spa Pool below the Sanctuary is available to all adults. Seating there is also open to all. Most of the time the lounges are in the shade.

Just want to pop in say hi, Bev. We just got back with the crew from our med cruise. I think you have my facebook page. You can look over some pics if you'd like

Linda

Thanks, Karen. I'm thinking about trying it out if I sail this summer. It's actually the same cost as it was on the Coral -- but that was a 15-day cruise so the sticker shock was a lot more than for a 7-day so I passed!

I think you'll love it! We think it's the best money we've spent on a cruise.

That is correct, our bill was $210.00 for two loungers for a 7 day eastern caribbean on the Emerald Princess. The sanctuary pool is open to the public on the Emerald Princess. The opening to the pool is just outside the "gate" entrance to the sanctuary. You just have to go down about

10 steps to the pool. Not many people are there ever, however on sea days it was more crowded as are all the pools. It was the best money spent on our cruise as far as we are concerned. We loved the quiet and the chairs not on top of each other and not crowded at all. We did have a couple ladies wander in the sanctuary and actually try to sit in one of our chairs that wasn't occupied at that moment.... we kindly said that the chair was reserved, got a dirty look from them, and then they were approached by the attendants who explained to them that the chairs were rented by the week or day. Usually the attendants are right at the gate and will greet you as you arrive, they will then set up your chair for you with towels and bring you water etc. We're sold on it and will do it again on all our cruises. Just keep in mind if you love the sun, the loungers in the sun went fast on our cruise, so get there early and go directly up to the sanctuary before you go to your cabin. One day the

captain was laying beside us and we didn't even realize it until he left and the attendant told us who it was. Have a great cruise!

Archived