Rome In Limo question

kitty62

Hi everyone,

I have a quick question - me and my fiance will be honeymooning on NCL Jade this Septemberr in W. Med.

I have been scouring the boards and read a lot about Rome In Limo. However the only concern I have is that its an independent excursion, meaning if we run late the ship will leave without us. Has it happened to anyone? Or they work with cruise passengers so much that they have a system in place?

This concern might seem stupid to seasoned cruisers, but its our first cruise so we get a little slack right?

Thanks everyone!

We took Romeinlimo in all 3 Italy ports in May of this year. We told them what time we wanted to be back at the ship and they got us to the ship at that time.

Do you really think that people would continue to take them if they got you back to the ship late?

They were wonderful. We all had a great time with our tours. We went to places that buses could not get in and we saw more then if we were on a bus with 40 or more people.

Judi

Our party used RomeInLimo for a couple of trips last summer, Naples & Amalfi coast + Rome. We shared with nice people by means of the “Roll call” on cruisecritic and it worked perfectly. We had a tailor made VIP tour for LESS each than the cost of the Ship’s tour.

I can’t speak highly enough of them. They were on time, the transport was great and the driver excellent, knowledgeable and courteous. Since it was a Sunday, he had radioed the HQ and they told him about traffic conditions on the Amalfi coast. Going on this information, he suggested changing the order of the day, since the traffic was beginning to build up through the coastal tunnels. We had a fabulous day and were dropped off very conveniently in Sorrento. Nothing was too much trouble. We had lunch at a perfect restaurant high in the hills overlooking the coast – dreamy.

In fact when we got back to the ship we heard that the Ship’s tour which had done a similar itinerary had been held up so long they only had 45 minutes in Sorrento (and being dropped up much higher up the hill since their bus was so big). Those on board asked if they could leave Sorrento a bit later since their day had been cut so short but the guide said she did not have the authority (even though they still had hours to get back to the ship). There was a near riot with those involved having paid loads of money for 4 hrs on a bus and 45 minutes at their destination!

My brother-in-law and his wife took RomeinLimo to Rome & the Vatican and also had a wonderful day.

Can’t recommend them highly enough (do NOT confuse them with LimoinRome who are not the same company at all)! They answered e-mail queries very quickly beforehand, and took no money up front. They made our time in Italy very special.

Four friends and I just got back from a Crown Princess Mediterranean cruise. We used Rome in Limo in Rome, Livorno (Florence/Pisa) and Naples (Pompeii, Amalfi Coast). This was our first time using private tours, so we were a little apprehensive, but no need to worry! This was a very well-run company and all our guides were very good at keeping on a schedule while still tailoring our tours to our preferences. I would not hesitate to use them again. We really enjoyed every one of our tours with them.

We had about 35 people from our Equinox cruise last year who used RIL for rides from airport to hotels, from hotels to tour Rome, Pompii, Naples & Florence/Pisa, and then from hotels to the port on the day of cruise. All used 8-pax vans and everyone raved to me when we boarded how much they enjoyed the tours I set up with Rome in Limo. At the end of the tours, Duman K. (owner) also called me personally and thanked us for the tours and asked if everything was ok. They are very friendly and knowledgable. We are again using them next year when we arrive in Rome.

I just booked two tours with RIL. One with 8 people and one with 14. There are 4 of us and we found the rest of the people on the rollcall on Cruisecritic for our particular cruise. Also, as mentioned above, talk to Jany at RIL. She does a great job and I'm sure can help you out. And about missing the boat, so to speak, they really keep in communication with eachother and if they had car trouble they would have another vehicle there in a short time.

We used Romeinlimo for a couple of excursion 2 years ago and would not hesitate to recommend them. I too was concerned about not getting back in time but the drivers are so aware of what is going on and are in constant communication with the others that unless there was some enormous drama I don't see how it could happen. They are a very professional outfit who rely heavily on positive reviews so I am confident that you would not simply be abandoned. Talk to Jany and to your driver about what you want from your trip. My children still maintain that the day we spent in Rome with Vincenzo was one of the best experiences they had ever had on holiday which is high praise indeed from teenagers. We saw far more than passengers on cruise tours in a much shorter time with much less walking about so returned to the ship cool and happy rather than hot and frazzled.

The quality and savings from doing a private excursion with Romeinlimo far outweighs any possible downside. I don't think think there should be any concern for missing your ship. Go with Romeinlimo with confidence!

We are also going with a Capitol One credit card - one tip: call the credit card company (of any card) before you go and let them know you'll be overseas so they won't question the charges. My husband travels for business and was once denied a charge until they called me and verified that it was legitimate. They told us it's best to let them know ahead of time so there won't be problems. We plan on periodically stopping at ATMs to get extra cash so we don't have to rely only on the ships ATMs. Others on CC have mentioned long lines, running out of cash and there is a daily limit. As mentioned, use the cabin safe and wear a money belt or carry a secure purse (I bought one from Pacsafe).

For those of you trying to fill tours (especially in October) - be patient, you have plenty of time. The thread for our cruise (Ruby Princess 9/26) was very quiet for a few weeks but has picked up quite a bit the last few days. Several new comers are getting together for tours.

We're also booked with romeinlimo who was highly recommended to us. I was a little worried about delays but feel reassured by reading this thread. Thanks.

Martha

Just returned from the Jade and also had the concern about "missing the ship." We used them in all 2 Italian ports and were always back at the ship between 5:00 - 5:30pm. It was never a problem. They are excellent.

I wouldn't worry at all!!

This is their business and they are all locals. They know their way around everything.I know we were in some traffic getting back from Naples/Amalfi Coast tour and they knew just how to get around it. I saw the cruise ship tours getting in well past the time we did.

They are extremely professional and know what they are doing. If they missed the ship just once, everyone on these boards would know about it and their business would most likely go down the tubes!!

For those of you trying to fill tours (especially in October) - be patient, you have plenty of time. The thread for our cruise (Ruby Princess 9/26) was very quiet for a few weeks but has picked up quite a bit the last few days. Several new comers are getting together for tours.

I admit, I am impatient! I want to have all the planning behind me, and I'd love to do tours in all three Italian ports with them.

I admit, I am impatient! I want to have all the planning behind me, and I'd love to do tours in all three Italian ports with them.
Book the size van you think will be the maximum you would tolerate in a group for each port tour. As you get within a few weeks of your sailing, your roll call will come alive with activity and you will have people falling all over themselves trying to get "in" on your custom tour. Your patience will be rewarded! For our cruise last summer, we even enlarged the van/group and added people the day before one tour! It all depends on: (1) your itinerary, (2) compatibility with others, (3) budget, (4) internet/communications savvy, (5) patience and (6) organization skills. :)

would pay). Since Rome In Limo accepts traveler's checks in euros, we will get enough for them, but probably not any more than that.

That is exactly what we did and it worked about perfectly. I didn't want to worry about withdrawing all that cash from the ATM, so I took exactly enough in Trav. Cks. It cost me a tiny bit more, but it was worth the piece of mind.

Book the size van you think will be the maximum you would tolerate in a group for each port tour. As you get within a few weeks of your sailing, your roll call will come alive with activity and you will have people falling all over themselves trying to get "in" on your custom tour. Your patience will be rewarded! For our cruise last summer, we even enlarged the van/group and added people the day before one tour! It all depends on: (1) your itinerary, (2) compatibility with others, (3) budget, (4) internet/communications savvy, (5) patience and (6) organization skills. :)

I'm fine with groups of 6 or 8 people. We usually get along with people we meet on a cruise; in fact, I'm trying to think of a time when we didn't get along with a small group of people. The only "bad" experiences we've had were on tour bus excursions, where a couple of people with the "J-Factor" were a little overbearing.

I'll have to think about this though. I suppose having a van to stretch out in would not be the worst thing if I can't "sell" the remaining spaces.

I wouldn't worry, they are an excellent company and have been around for years. They are trustworthy and responsible and after traveling with them more than once, you'll be in great hands, they'll get you back to the ship on time.

Hi everyone,

I have a quick question - me and my fiance will be honeymooning on NCL Jade this Septemberr in W. Med.

I have been scouring the boards and read a lot about Rome In Limo. However the only concern I have is that its an independent excursion, meaning if we run late the ship will leave without us. Has it happened to anyone? Or they work with cruise passengers so much that they have a system in place?

This concern might seem stupid to seasoned cruisers, but its our first cruise so we get a little slack right?

Thanks everyone!

I used Rome in Limo in May of this year... EXCELLENT in every way! I LOVED them and their guides we had-- Fabrizio and Vinnie. A+++.

For several months, NO ONE seemed to be on the Roll Call and it looked sketchy about reserving the van for 8, when no one else was loggin on. Then suddenly-- 3 weeks before the cruise-- Yes, people begain coming on the Roll Call thread, and there were MORE than 6 people who wanted "in" to the Rome In Limo rental. So many, that a new, second group formed and got their own 8person limo.

Rome in Limo was prompt and always got us back to the ship in plenty of time, safe and happy. They were the best ever!@

After I win the lottery or rob a bank-- I must go back to Europe soon, and I will definitely be contacting Jany about booking tours with them. The only way to go.

:)

We used Rome In Limo for three ports and were very spoiled. It was our first time going with a private tour and it's hard going back to ship excursions. The drivers are very knowledgeable and friendly. They're constantly talking to each other to check out the traffic conditions so they know if they need to cut the tour short to get you back to the ship on time.

I seem to recall that we paid our drivers in US dollars as we didn't exchange our money.

If someone is looking for people to share the tour/cost with you can also post something on the message board on board your ship as well as using the message borads here.

Our group of 8 used Rome In Limo in May for all 3 ports and they went above and beyond the call of duty!

We beat the cruise line buses to all destinations and we were back at the ship right before the cruise tours started returning. We saw twice as much as any of the tours and it cost less than if we had booked with the ship.

Any request to see something off the beaten path was easily accommodated and I would use them when I go back to Italy. We paid the driver in Euros at the end of each tour.

I have to admit I sent numerous emails to Jany asking about a thousand questions and I was promptly answered with a courteous and prompt reply.

........As you get within a few weeks of your sailing, your roll call will come alive with activity and you will have people falling all over themselves trying to get "in" on your custom tour. Your patience will be rewarded! For our cruise last summer, we even enlarged the van/group and added people the day before one tour!.....

As I was reading this, I was thinking "Ha! It's not gonna happen for my Noordam sailing with its rather quiet HAL Roll Call." But then I see in your signature you were on the Noordam last year, so I'm much encouraged! I've been getting pretty worried that I still have space available for RIL tours in Rome, Florence, and Naples (and one transfer), but the cruise is not until September so you have given me hope. Thanks!!:)

Hi everyone,

Thanks everyone!

Not a stupid question at all. I always have that fear, too. We just used RIL in May. They were wonderful in every respect. You just simply cannot go wrong. Book them and don't give it a second thought. They will take good care of and treat you like royalty. They are very aware of the time needed to be back to the ship and know all the back roads if traffic gets heavy. Remember, each driver lives in the area and knows it very well. He will ask you right off what your interests are and somehow he gets you to loads of places, more than you dreamed possible. They also are so full of knowlege it is incredible. You will sit back, relax, learn, laugh, and make a new friend. Happy cruising. You'll get hooked like the rest of us.

Jennie

I'm fine with groups of 6 or 8 people. We usually get along with people we meet on a cruise; in fact, I'm trying to think of a time when we didn't get along with a small group of people. The only "bad" experiences we've had were on tour bus excursions, where a couple of people with the "J-Factor" were a little overbearing.

I'll have to think about this though. I suppose having a van to stretch out in would not be the worst thing if I can't "sell" the remaining spaces.

I would not hesitate to book tours for the three ports with RIL. Our group of six recently returned from a cruise where RIL provided private tours with exceptional customer service. I agree that you will have plenty of folks looking to join you, and I don't think you will have to wait until the last minute to sign up tour mates. For our group of six the cost per person with RIL was comparable to the ship's tours but the experience can't be compared. Our roll call was quite active early on and tours filled up quickly - just keep posting that you have seats available on your private tour. This is a really nice way to make some friends before the cruise.

We used RomeinLimo for a small group of 8 last May. The tours of Rome and Florence with them were the highlight of our trip. Outstanding!

I too worry about getting back to the ship in time but they are in total control and we were back in plenty of time. Duman, the owner, was our guide in Rome and he is totally commited to making sure you have a good tour. I have booked them for this coming Oct. for another tour in Rome. I am a huge fan and never tire of telling others about them.

Whenever we are in Rome we always use RIL! This Company is by far the best in customer service. I only wish we had them here in the States! There is no service here anymore! I love dealing with Jany especially because I receive a response within minutes by email on any questions I may have.

You will not go wrong if you use RIL! Their prices are fair and their driver/guides are quite knowledgeable. Ask for Sara, Fancesco or Vincenzo. They know their way around Italy!

Happy Cruising!

Faith

Not to hijack the thread (well, I guess maybe I am) ... but do they make arrangements for couples who want to pair up with other couples for a 4 or 6 person excursion? We are traveling as a couple on this trip, and would like to share with either 1 or 2 other couples. So far, no one has stepped forward on our roll call (but the cruise is in late October, so perhaps its early.)

Anyway, I didn't know if they had other 'waiting lists' for other couples or not.

No, they do not. But not to worry. We had the same issue, and nobody on the board responded to us either. So we asked table mates at dinner and they were happy to join us. You'll have no problem finding other couples on board that will be willing to do this if you ask around a bit.

And, it was great fun seeing Rome with new friends!!!

As I was reading this, I was thinking "Ha! It's not gonna happen for my Noordam sailing with its rather quiet HAL Roll Call." But then I see in your signature you were on the Noordam last year, so I'm much encouraged! I've been getting pretty worried that I still have space available for RIL tours in Rome, Florence, and Naples (and one transfer), but the cruise is not until September so you have given me hope. Thanks!!:)
From my experience, it seems that the HAL roll calls are quieter than the RCI roll calls. With that said, our Noordam roll call REALLY lit up in the 3-4 weeks immediately preceding our sailing. There are always people planning their excursions at the last minute and thus there is much demand for private, non-cruiseline tours! Good luck!:)

Archived