Rome In Limo question

kitty62

Hi everyone,

I have a quick question - me and my fiance will be honeymooning on NCL Jade this Septemberr in W. Med.

I have been scouring the boards and read a lot about Rome In Limo. However the only concern I have is that its an independent excursion, meaning if we run late the ship will leave without us. Has it happened to anyone? Or they work with cruise passengers so much that they have a system in place?

This concern might seem stupid to seasoned cruisers, but its our first cruise so we get a little slack right?

Thanks everyone!

Hi everyone,

I have a quick question - me and my fiance will be honeymooning on NCL Jade this Septemberr in W. Med.

I have been scouring the boards and read a lot about Rome In Limo. However the only concern I have is that its an independent excursion, meaning if we run late the ship will leave without us. Has it happened to anyone? Or they work with cruise passengers so much that they have a system in place?

This concern might seem stupid to seasoned cruisers, but its our first cruise so we get a little slack right?

Thanks everyone!

They are a very responsible company and have a very good following. I used them two years ago and will utilize their services again this summer. All the large private companies are very aware of the ships schedule and build their reputation on the comments placed on the board. In fact this is great advertising for them. If you are worried take the name and phone number of the ship's agent in the port.

Enjoy

Welcome to CC,

Your concern is a legit one but also a fear that cruise companies exploit. There are few stories of people missing the boat, they have almost always involved bad luck, bad planning, or to much drinking from the cruiser and less to do with the driver/company. The one thing a big bus tour doesn't alllow to happen is getting drunk, forgetting what time it is, or taking to much time shoppiong or sightseening. Be mindful of that and you will not have problems.

As the first responder said, choose a reputable company, plan a sane schedule where one is off the boat early and back to the boat a good 90 minutes + before sailing and you should be good. There is no reason when you go private to schedule a day so tight that you get back to the boat close to sailing time. By going private you WILL see more than any of the bus tours and pay equal to less with out the hassels of big group touring. RIL is a very reputable company, they won't chance being blamed for missing the boat as they have a huge following here. One bad driver decision and that would go down the tube. I'm sure that is rule number "ONE" for them. If you are sensible you'll be infront of all the ship buses as they make the long highway trip back, if there was for some reason a unforseen sudden accident you would most likely be infront of the buses that the ship claims it will wait for ;)

IMHO RIL is one of the safests choices for private in Italy.

Happy planning and Congrats!

Hi everyone,

Thanks everyone!

We just used them for Rome and Naples. They had us back an hour before the "all aboard" time in both ports. The drivers are all local and know the traffic and roads very well.

They would not be in business very long if people were missing the ship. Private tours are the way to go in Europe. You can see so much more, less crowded, less walking and usually cheaper!

I just returned from a 11-night Eastern Med cruise with 1 pre-night and 2 post-night stays in Rome.

I used Rome in Limo for all my transportation needs in Rome and used them in Naples for an Amalfi Coast drive.

They are fabulous! I had six in my party and made the arrangements with them on the internet beforehand and they confirmed all my times to be picked up and dropped off.

They know what time you have to be back on the ship and just to be on the safe side get back about 2 hours ahead if needed.

The use all Mercedes new vehicles and their drivers are superb. They sure know how to get around the crazy Rome and Naples streets without any mishaps.

They were always there waiting with their sign for us. I used them from the airport to the hotel in Rome, hotel in Rome to the port, Naples Amalfi coast tour, back from port to Rome hotel, and hotel to airport. I also used them for a guided tour of the Vatican one afternoon and that was wonderful as well.

They are eager to have your business and do a five-star job. No regrets and I would recommend them to everyone.

Have a great trip.

Kitty:

Another advantage to a company like Rome in Limo is that not only are their driver guides local and top notch, they are a larger company and have multiple tours out and about in each port daily.

I've used them on 4 tours and each time there were calls amongst drivers re: traffic, lines at various sites, etc. Not to mention that Duman K, the owner, also periodically checked in with us as well. Timing for the fullest possible day and a return one hour before sailing are high, high priorities for RIL.

You will thoroughly enjoy your day with them.

Martha

I used to have the same fear. Rome in Limo knows exactly when the ship leaves and gets you back in plenty of time. As long as you go with reputable companies (like RIL), that come highly recommended on Cruise Critic, you'll be fine. All they would have to do is miss a ship once and they would do great damage to their companies. They make sure that doesn't happen. Rome in Limo is one of the best tour companies that we've every used!!!

I agree with the above posts. I was very worried, as I was making plans for two other couples as well as my husband and I. We used Rome in Limo in three ports and they were very responsible. We had no problems and were always back on time. We did not try to play it close on time and never would as we are pretty conservative on things like that. We just loved working with them ahead of time and they were more than we expected when we got there. Great drivers and guides!! Be sure that you know who the harbor master is when you leave the ship (we just checked the daily program for us the Princess Patter). Relax, have a good trip and efinitely use Rome in Limo. Another thing is make sure you have your passport with you (or a copy of it) in case you do run into some freaky problem. Barbara

Not to hijack the thread (well, I guess maybe I am) ... but do they make arrangements for couples who want to pair up with other couples for a 4 or 6 person excursion? We are traveling as a couple on this trip, and would like to share with either 1 or 2 other couples. So far, no one has stepped forward on our roll call (but the cruise is in late October, so perhaps its early.)

Anyway, I didn't know if they had other 'waiting lists' for other couples or not.

Good idea; I just sent them an email with our dates. We would love to have them pick us up in Livorno, Civitavecchia and Naples for excursions, but know we won't be able to do all three as just a couple at 450e per day. I'll report back with what they say.

It would be a shame to go to Italy and not see the things you want to see. For us, this is a once-a-decade kind of trip.

How does payment for RIL tours work, cash, credit card, travelers cheque. Which is accepted.

On their website, they say they only accept cash (in Euros) or traveler's checks (again, in Euros). They accept credit cards for reservations, but evidently not to pay for the tour.

I hate to carry much cash, so I'm thinking of getting some traveler's checks in Euros before we go.

Good idea; I just sent them an email with our dates. We would love to have them pick us up in Livorno, Civitavecchia and Naples for excursions, but know we won't be able to do all three as just a couple at 450e per day. I'll report back with what they say.

It would be a shame to go to Italy and not see the things you want to see. For us, this is a once-a-decade kind of trip.

I hope it works out for you. We booked RIL in those three ports last year and will be using them again next month in Rome. You'll love both their service and their style!!

Not to hijack the thread (well, I guess maybe I am) ... but do they make arrangements for couples who want to pair up with other couples for a 4 or 6 person excursion? We are traveling as a couple on this trip, and would like to share with either 1 or 2 other couples. So far, no one has stepped forward on our roll call (but the cruise is in late October, so perhaps its early.)

Anyway, I didn't know if they had other 'waiting lists' for other couples or not.

Yes, please let us know what they say. I might be interested in this in Rome and am having the same problem on the role call board.

We just returned from the W. Med on the Voyager, and had friends who used Rome in Limo and we used All around Italy.net- both were top notch. In addition we used Tour of Italy for Naples and we would used them again in an instant. We talked to the drivers and they know what time they need to leave Rome and Florence to get you back in time, and yes they drive fast and well, in front of the tour buses. The reason they ask for Cash (euros) not CC, is if they took CC they would have to add VAT tax(up to 19%) and the 3% CC fee, so you and they are much bettr off paying cash.

Hi everyone,

Thanks everyone!

The one thing you should realize is that these companies depend on the reviews here and on other boards. I have not heard of ONE person missing the ship based on a recommended tour company. I have used Romeinlimo several times. So have many others. I haven't heard of anyone having anything but a fantastic day with them. I have taken cruise tours before, and I cannot tell you enough how big the difference is! As a first time Med cruise, you will feel even MORE in control of your day. Your guide will have you back in plenty of time for the ship, and also giving you more for your day at the same time.

I have used them for many ports and for all sorts of different activities. Any questions, just ask. They are a great company and you can really feel secure with them as well.

Have a great honeymoon! There is nothing better than a Med cruise for a honeymoon. My husband and I were married on the Brilliance of the Seas in Barcelona and then sailed the Med. for our honeymoon.

Duman responded to my email; they currently don't do any "match-making" for the tours, but he did recommend using the roll call threads in forums as one way to find other people wanting to take the same tour.

I also did some research on credit cards and getting Euros with ATM cards, etc., in Europe. There can be some relatively hefty fees; my Chase Visa credit card charges 3% on top of the 1% exchange fee everyone pays for credit card transactions. So a 450 Euro purchase really costs an additional $18 just for using the credit card. Some ATM cards also charge a fee on both ends, as well as the 1% fee that everyone pays (but is hidden in the exchange rate). Some retailers in Europe charge a fee to accept traveler's checks, so there doesn't seem to be a good solution other than cold hard cash that you get from your local bank (Chase bank will exchange our dollars into Euros before we go at the exchange rate with the embedded 1% fee, but no other fee).

I totally agree!

If you Charge consider getting a Captial one card as they don't have an exchange fee, their rate is also the standard commercial rate. Most larger resturants and big vendors accept CC and you have the benifit of fraud protection.

Debit card is like a ATM card, your kitty could be drained by a dishonest vendor, NO?

As to cash or traverlers checks. If you get euro checks some private operators take these as "might" some vendors. USD demomination travels check are only useful for USD cash exchange on the boat. Then you are stuck exchanging for euors at bad rates. In this electronic age I think most expect cash or credit card. To pay for a multiple person private tour is a lot of cash, most ATM have limits. With port days so busy it seems silly IMHO to spend all this money on cruise, flight etc, and worry about 501-- exchange fee getting cash before you go. I fully agree the most convenient thing is get the known big euro outlays before you go from your local bank. Yes it can be uncomfortable carrying thousands of euros when traveling but in a body belt is pretty safe and throw it in the hotel / cabin safe the minute you get in.

Duman responded to my email; they currently don't do any "match-making" for the tours, but he did recommend using the roll call threads in forums as one way to find other people wanting to take the same tour.

I also did some research on credit cards and getting Euros with ATM cards, etc., in Europe. There can be some relatively hefty fees; my Chase Visa credit card charges 3% on top of the 1% exchange fee everyone pays for credit card transactions. So a 450 Euro purchase really costs an additional $18 just for using the credit card. Some ATM cards also charge a fee on both ends, as well as the 1% fee that everyone pays (but is hidden in the exchange rate). Some retailers in Europe charge a fee to accept traveler's checks, so there doesn't seem to be a good solution other than cold hard cash that you get from your local bank (Chase bank will exchange our dollars into Euros before we go at the exchange rate with the embedded 1% fee, but no other fee).

I totally agree!

As to cash or traverlers checks. If you get euro checks some private operators take these as "might" some vendors.

Rome In Limo makes it pretty clear on their website that they only accept cash or traveler's checks in euros. They will accept a credit card to hold a reservation, but you cannot use the credit card to pay for the excursion.

So we are looking at up to 1200 euro for excursions if we don't find people to share it with. We could get euros here without a transaction fee at our bank, or traveler's checks with a small fee (less than the ATM fees we would pay). Since Rome In Limo accepts traveler's checks in euros, we will get enough for them, but probably not any more than that. I have read that traveler's checks are harder to cash in other places and most people say either cold hard euros or credit cards are the way to go.

On our first call to our credit union, they said they don't charge a transaction fee for using their Visa card overseas, but I have to verify that. If they do have a fee, we'll be re-activating an old Capital One account for this trip. Our Chase credit card charges 3% plus a transaction fee.

We used Romeinlimo last summer and they were FANTASTIC. We had a driver/guide in Florence and a driver and a licensed tour guide in Rome. They are the best run company that we encountered on our trip. The night before we were to arrive in Livorno (Florence), an announcement was made, that for safety reasons, the port was changed and we would be tendering about half-hour away. I panicked, since Romeinlimo was scheduled to pick us up the next morning at 7:30 in Livorno. We called Romeinlimo, expecting to get an answering machine (since it was 7:30 pm), however, they answered the phone, and told us that they were aware of the problem that afternoon and had made all the necessary arrangements for our driver/guide to meet us at the new port of call.

Prior to our Med cruise last year, I always booked ship excursions. I, too, was always afraid of missing the boat. After extensive research on this board, I booked all of our excursions independently. We had the best trip. Instead of traveling with 40-50 people on a bus....we traveled by ourselves, and tailored the tour to our needs. We stopped when we wanted, and for as long as we wanted. All of the admissions were pre-arranged by Romeinlimo (and the others we used), and we didn't have to wait in line. We saw everything we wanted (more than we would have with a group tour), and ate at lovely restaurants.

DON'T WORRY.....IF YOU BOOK WITH A REPUTABLE COMPANY, YOU WILL NOT MISS THE BOAT. THEY GET YOU BACK WITH PLENTLY OF TIME TO SPARE. I THINK WE WERE BACK ABOUT AN HOUR BEFORE WE NEEDED TO, AND STILL DIDN'T MISS OUT ON ANYTHING.

Enjoy your trip!!!!!!

We just got back last night (yawn) and I cannot tell you how wonderful Rome In Limo was!:D There were 14 of us including my elderly parents and they were so great about making sure that they were able to keep up and not having too many steep climbs or stairs whenever possible. They were very prompt and so pleasant and informative! We had Marco in Florence, Lorenzo in Rome and Mena in Naples. I cannot say enough good things about all of them! While in Rome it was crazy crowded at the Vatican and we actually lost track of one of our group. We simply could not find them anywhere. Lorenzo was very concerned that we get back to the ship on time but didn't want to leave our person. He went to another guide there and asked them to post a sign with our "lost soul's" name on it with her phone number so he would be able to call her and either make arrangements to get back to the ship or meet the ship at the next port. At the 11th hour - really we were all on the van and getting ready to close the door:eek:- when our guy came wandering down the street! Duman called and talked to me to make sure that everything was okay. Then in Naples my sister left her binoculars on the mini-bus and I called Duman and the driver went back and waited for us at the ship to give them to her! They truly are amazing and their main concern is the customer. You cannot go wrong them! Run to computer and email them:D

Holly

We just got back last night (yawn) and I cannot tell you how wonderful Rome In Limo was!:D There were 14 of us including my elderly parents and they were so great about making sure that they were able to keep up and not having too many steep climbs or stairs whenever possible. They were very prompt and so pleasant and informative! We had Marco in Florence, Lorenzo in Rome and Mena in Naples. I cannot say enough good things about all of them! While in Rome it was crazy crowded at the Vatican and we actually lost track of one of our group. We simply could not find them anywhere. Lorenzo was very concerned that we get back to the ship on time but didn't want to leave our person. He went to another guide there and asked them to post a sign with our "lost soul's" name on it with her phone number so he would be able to call her and either make arrangements to get back to the ship or meet the ship at the next port. At the 11th hour - really we were all on the van and getting ready to close the door:eek:- when our guy came wandering down the street! Duman called and talked to me to make sure that everything was okay. Then in Naples my sister left her binoculars on the mini-bus and I called Duman and the driver went back and waited for us at the ship to give them to her! They truly are amazing and their main concern is the customer. You cannot go wrong them! Run to computer and email them:D

Holly

What a great review! I am searching for others to share the expense with us in Livorno, Rome and Naples. Its pretty pricey for just a couple, and we won't be able to do all three ports with them if we can't recruit some other folks! I'm thinking Rome might be worth the $650 euro even if we are just a couple.

We were very happy with the service we received in both Florence and Naples.

In Naples there was a strike at Pompeii, the company knew about it and rerouted our trip to avoid it by driving to the Amalfi coast in the mroning instead of the afternoon. They even made alternate arrangements for a tour guide for Pompeii at the new time for us.

In addition to that there was a strike down by the port........the phone calls were flying back and forth between our driver and the company. He had to re-route through some parts of town that weren't so great! However he got us within shouting distance of the terminal. We got out of the van, cut across four lanes of traffic (with Italian drivers) and got past the concrete barriers to be greeted by another one of their drivers with a different van who then drove us the kilometer or so across the parking lot to the waiting ship......with about 10 minutes to spare...........

There were a few anxious moments, but we made it. The driver did say, in all honesty, during the ride back to the ship that if we didn't make it he would be personally driving us to our next stop in Citavecchia.

We loved them and would fully endorse using them!

We have both a CapitolOne credit card and ATM card. Neither one incurs a fee. We opened a separate CapOne rewards money market which came with the ATM card and used it everywhere last fall with no problem. We used the credit card for our purchases. With the money market account I can put money into it well in advance of ou cruise then we're all "prepaid" before we leave home.

Archived