Vibrations deck 11 QM2

cruzadict

We have today returned from a 4 night cruise on the QM2. We are Platinum guests so as you can gain we have cruised many times on this ship. This is the first time that we have had a room on the 11 deck. And NEVER again. I am glad to be hope to get a good nights sleep. Every night there was a vibration in the cabin which kept you awake and eventually ended up making us feel sick. At first we thought it might just be us but talking to other guests on the starboard side they were all complaining to the Pursers Desk. The answer which my husband got was "well you are aboard a ship and not staying in a hotel"!!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone else had these problems before?

The answer which my husband got was "well you are aboard a ship and not staying in a hotel"!!!!!!!!!!

That's just what a platinum customers wants to hear,alas it is all too often these days. Customer service is not what it used to be.

Did anybody suggest that there might be a pod problem?

My husband asked them were they having problems with the pods but was assured that there was no problem. If you were walking along the corridor the noise and vibration at mid-ship was dreadful. Just glad, for all the vibration, that were were forward!

Well, this is worrisome. I specifially booked mid-ship Deck 11 because I thought it was the best place to avoid vibration problems; it never occurred to me that gas turbines would be on Deck 12 and would cause a vibration problem. I felt a little vibration on my cruise about 4 years ago in this location, but it was not too bad. Hopefully, whatever is causing the problem is fixed; I have not read any other posts like this, so it may be a temporary problem.

We have just got back off the same trip, deck 10 aft did have a bit of vibration. Not enought to cause any problems with sleep or feeling ill.

I'm going to write a review of our expericence when I catch up with my sleep.

Can answer the OBC problem. We just bought ours approx 6 weeks before the trip and it was un redeemable. Manage to get through the lot and a bit more. Was disappointed to find out we would not get the refund if did not spend it all. Will not be buying any infuture, we were told the service of OBC was being abused and that is why it has a limit and has too be spent.

Catherine

Hopefully, whatever is causing the problem is fixed; I have not read any other posts like this, so it may be a temporary problem.

I just mentioned this a few days ago, on a thread about upgrades. Last spring we were in an A-1, midships on deck 11, and there was a constant, annoying, "jiggle". The ship was running at an almost constant 27+ knots, and we couldn't ascertain whether it was the turbines above, or just the speed. Also, the wind was so strong that we could never use our balcony, or leave the door ajar for fresh air at night. We will never get a cabin in this location again, though. Sheltered balconies for TA's for us.

we were in the middle of the cabins on deck 12 on starboard, and didn't feel anything out of the norm.... although... we did feel vibration was generally more than usual throughout especially given how calm it was and how slow we generally went ??

Unusually, Queen Mary 2's gas turbines are not housed along with her diesels in the engine room deep in her hull, but instead reside in a soundproofed enclosure directly underneath the funnel. This arrangement allowed the vessel's designers to supply the oxygen hungry turbines with air intakes without having to run air ducts the entire height of the ship, which would have wasted valuable interior space.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Queen_Mary_2

I've had a portside cabin (AI balcony) on Deck 11, almost directly under the Deck 12 pool exactly mid ship and did not notice any vibration (or noise) either in the cabin or walking along the passageway at any time. I've no explanation why others have had such a problem. Maybe one or more of the four diesel engines were out of use for maintenance and they were pushing the turbines hard to compensate?

However, the housing around the turbines was designed to eliminate any vibration or sound reaching the cabins.

The “C” lift/stair lobby on Deck 11 lies directly under the turbines, I wonder if the problem was most noticeable there? I would hope that this was a one-off situation.

The worst vibration I ever experienced was on QV when she was using her bow thrusters, stood in the Commodore Club I noticed glasses dancing across tables as the whole front end of the ship rattled alarmingly.

As for vtbobby’s comment about “sheltered balconies for a TA”, I agree and have long held the same view, “balconies” on Decks 4, 5 & 6 for a TA where you need shelter from the wind, and balconies on decks 8, 9, 10, 11 & 12 for a warm water cruise where you can sit and enjoy the sun .

Our stateroom was situated on Deck 11 across from the funnel (11109 or there-about in that area) and we did feel the noise and motion from the vibrations. It was annoying at first but we got used to it...ear plugs were helpful too. All in all we still enjoyed the voyage immensely.

I just returned from a 17 night voyage on QM2 back to back T/A's with a European cruise in between. I was in cabin 4145 midships and for the first time ever on QM2 I had a vibration problem, all of the lamps on the side tables would vibrate, and the sconce on the wall would vibrate. The vibration problem was very bad in the bathroom. I have never had any problem with vibration on QM2 before and I have been sailing on her since the maiden voyage in 2004, something must have been wrong. I have been on four deck before, and on eleven and eight deck, never had any problem until this voyage.

• 1 year later...

I have recently travelled Cape Town to Fremantle on the QM2, in stateroom 10030. I think this was cruise 14, and the first on QM2.

The Indian Ocean crossing was largely very smooth and uneventful. The ship certainly lived up to its reputation for grandeur and formality. Our stateroom was top-notch with all of the soft furnishings having been recently replaced.

My gripe is the level of vibration - or more accurately, shaking - in our stateroom. I have never before experienced this level of constant shaking on a cruise ship.

Sitting in the tub chair by the window was often physically uncomfortable, and I found sleeping often difficult as a result.

I have no idea as to the cause, and Cunard have not responded to my letter on the matter. I know it wasn't rough seas - the sea was very smooth for most of our time, and the only night with no vibration was actually the roughest as we neared Australia. Additionally, it was not a result of high speed - we were generally only travelling at around 20 - 22 knots.

September 2011 I noticed severe vibrations when this ship was pitching in the swells and the props cavitated.

Outside of the conditions that caused the ship to pitch, the state of vibration varied and it didn't seem to correlate with sea state. At one point the vibrations were very noticeable, then the motors stopped, then we resumed but now it was very smooth. Perhaps it depends on the sychronization of the four props with one another?

We were in 11.023 for 14 nights a couple of summers ago. Great location for Observation Deck at the bows, easy access to top deck and Commodore Club. And watching the goings-on on the wings of the Bridge was quite curious!!

Anyway..... Yes. We noticed some vibration but only when the vessel was over a certain speed. It was a low frequency vibration comparable to the 'drum' of the engines that is evident lower decks mid ships, and I put it down to engine speed/vibration/power output hitting a resonant frequency of the superstructure at this point.

Mmm. Yeah. Ok. A bit more vibration than I was expecting...for THIS location, but certainly nothing to cause any upset at all. No sleepless nights. And no reason to go complaining to the Purser's Desk.

Would certainly have a cabin up there again with no worries what so ever.

Regards,

Mr H.

Was the QM2 travelling fast as the Gas Turbines are on deck 12 and might cause the problem below on deck 11

Turbine engines don't cause vibration as they are essentially thin blades spinning on an a central axle.

Diesels cause vibration since they have pistons that run up and down, like the engine in your car - and propellers can cause vibration as well if a blade has been chipped or bent...

Turbine engines don't cause vibration as they are essentially thin blades spinning on an a central axle.

Diesels cause vibration since they have pistons that run up and down, like the engine in your car - and propellers can cause vibration as well if a blade has been chipped or bent...

You are right about turbines and vibration. If you find yourself near a running turbine that starts to vibrate, run, dont walk, away from it.:eek:

We've been all around on QM2 and also in 11063. The little virbrations one can feel in some minor areas are a sign for me that the vessel is on the move. How nice to go to the Britannia dining room and feel the big 16 cyl. Wartsila diesels rumbling beneath the floor. One reason to go on a sea voyage! And yes bepsf; move off quickly from a vibrating gas turbine- it is going to explode in fragments of a second!

Kind regards

Archived