Birth Certificate Only

Raze

Hi,

My family is going on the Sapphire out of Seattle in August. My wife and I have passports, but our toddlers don't (3 and 4); nor does my mother-in-law.

Princess says they will be ok with the birth certificate (+ID for my mother-in-law).

I was wondering what past experience has to say about this. Anyone have any thoughts or experience that I should be concerned with?

Brian

Not only is it perfectly fine, this itinerary is one where the chance that you will have an emergency need for a passport is extremely tiny, practically zero. All your ports save the last one are US ports, so in an emergency you just hop on the plane and fly home. And if you have an emergency call while in Victoria, just get off the ship 6 hours later in Seattle and deal with it from there.

Just make sure that everyone's BC is a certified copy issued by the US state or county where they were born, NOT the hospital.

Hi,

My family is going on the Sapphire out of Seattle in August. My wife and I have passports, but our toddlers don't (3 and 4); nor does my mother-in-law.

Princess says they will be ok with the birth certificate (+ID for my mother-in-law).

I was wondering what past experience has to say about this. Anyone have any thoughts or experience that I should be concerned with?

Brian

Hi Brian,

We just came back from our Alaska trip two days ago. While we both have passports, the only time we REALLY needed them was when we did the "Experience the Yukon" excursion in Skagway. The tour operator would not let us on the bus without them. One couple left theirs on the ship and they had to go back and get them. The border agents checked them on the bus at the border patrol as well. They did ask for our passports at embarktion as well, but not sure what they would have done if we did not have them.

Good luck and have a wonderful time!

Kim

Besides, if I am required to have a passport to enter the US, so should you to enter Canada

This not the issue, the Canadian goverment, at least to this point, does not require an Amercian citizen to have a passport. However as pointed out previously to re-enter the Alaska from BC or the Yukon a person, even an American citizen does require a passport or another from of approved ID which includes an Enhanced DL, a NEXUS card or military ID.

This really is a good itinerary for not having passports as the chance of needing one to expedite flying home from Canada because of an emergency is excessively low. Although as already mentioned it does eliminate a few excursions but as long as that is not a problem for you you're fine. Enjoy your cruise- Alaska is absolutely beautiful!:)

Hi Brian,

We just came back from our Alaska trip two days ago. While we both have passports, the only time we REALLY needed them was when we did the "Experience the Yukon" excursion in Skagway. The tour operator would not let us on the bus without them. One couple left theirs on the ship and they had to go back and get them. The border agents checked them on the bus at the border patrol as well. They did ask for our passports at embarktion as well, but not sure what they would have done if we did not have them.

Good luck and have a wonderful time!

Kim

Did they show them the photocopy of their passports? That should have sufficed according the the "authorities" here on CC! lol

If for some reason you had to return early you would need a passport to fly.

Besides, if I am required to have a passport to enter the US, so should you to enter Canada

I agree. If the US demands passports, the Canadians should do the same. I always have mine when outside the US. It fits in my pocket.

We are doing a round trip out of San Francisco and I found this information in the Important Notices section under Travel Summary on My Personalizer.

WHTI-COMPLIANT DOCUMENT REQUIREMENTS

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security enforces secure document requirements.

Only passports or Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)-compliant

documents are accepted to embark your cruise. U.S. and Canadian passport

holders must present one of the following valid documents:

* Passport Book (RECOMMENDED)

* U.S. Passport Card

* U.S. or Canadian issued Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)

* U.S. or Canadian issued Enhanced "Non-Driver" Identification Card

* NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST card

For information regarding WHTI compliant documents, visit www.getyouhome.gov

U.S. citizens ages 16 and above may present a Certified Birth Certificate

together with valid photo identification. U.S. and Canadian citizens aged 15

years and younger may sail with a Birth Certificate. U.S. Permanent Residents

must present a valid Permanent Resident Card. Canadian Permanent Residents must

present a valid passport and Permanent Resident Card.

spacer.gifspacer.gifCANADA TEMPORARY RESIDENT VISA (TRV) REQUIREMENT

U.S. and Canadian passport holders and U.S. resident aliens and Canadian

permanent residents (presenting a valid Alien Resident Card (U.S.) / Permanent

Resident Card (CANADA) do not require a visa to visit Canada. All other

nationalities must verify their visa requirements for each port on this

itinerary. Passengers will be embarking, disembarking and/or visiting the

Canadian ports of Vancouver or Victoria, British Columbia during the cruise.

Non-U.S. and Non-Canadian passport holders may require a TRV for Canada. This

visa must be obtained in advance. This visa requirement applies regardless if

the passenger chooses to remain onboard or go ashore. To obtain the TRV,

please contact your local Canadian consulate or visit

www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/apply-how.asp. Passengers without the proper

documentation required for this cruise will be denied boarding without refund

of the cruise or cruisetour fare.

If for some reason you had to return early you would need a passport to fly.

To have to fly back home to the lower 48 from Alaska would not require a passport, no more than flying from NYC to Fort Lauderdale would.

As was pointed out in another post, there would be a problem if the need was to fly back from Vancouver.

Archived