Should I stick with one line?

John73

First off - I'm a complete newb to cruises but you all have me hooked already on the idea! :D

Is it best to stick with one cruise line and build up some repeat business for their loyalty programs or are the programs not that worthwhile? I ask because I'm an American AAdvantage member and really enjoy the perks of status there. If I end up taking a cruise every year, do the perks really add up to a noticeable difference (upgrades? Other benefits?)? Or if I do 1 a year is it not that big of a deal to go ahead with diff lines and build up multiple program membership?

more background : I'm currently booked on my first cruise - a Celebrity cruise in December in the Caribbean. But, after reading more on this board, I'm also interested in taking a cruise earlier - sometime in Later July through early September. Should I book that on Celebrity as well or would it be a good idea to branch out and try another line like Norwegian or Royal Caribbean? If it matters, I'm a solo traveler (for now) and in my mid 30s.

Thanks in advance!

In time many people cruise with one or a few cruise lines more because they enjoy the lines than for any loyalty programs. But before you can narrow the field it is good to try out different lines so you can determine which one(s) is best for you. Unlike many of the USA based airlines which are essentially clones of one another you will see many more differences between cruise lines.

Keith

Each cruise line markets a slightly different product / price.

Having sailed several I can vouch that the experience while in manyways similar if you are particular/picky/pecluar ;) might become a die hard fan of one or might not care.

Unlike airlines where price/convenience coudl be very similar you'll find that each ship does try to stand out either thru experience and/or price.

If I had unlimited budget and vacation time there are certain lines I'd prefer much less than others, never so much that if they are the only alternative not sail them

As a newbie I'd say sail a few different destinations and lines to find out which you like. Are perks more important than trying a few and finding a better experience?

First off - I'm a complete newb to cruises but you all have me hooked already on the idea! :D

Is it best to stick with one cruise line and build up some repeat business for their loyalty programs or are the programs not that worthwhile? I ask because I'm an American AAdvantage member and really enjoy the perks of status there. If I end up taking a cruise every year, do the perks really add up to a noticeable difference (upgrades? Other benefits?)? Or if I do 1 a year is it not that big of a deal to go ahead with diff lines and build up multiple program membership?

more background : I'm currently booked on my first cruise - a Celebrity cruise in December in the Caribbean. But, after reading more on this board, I'm also interested in taking a cruise earlier - sometime in Later July through early September. Should I book that on Celebrity as well or would it be a good idea to branch out and try another line like Norwegian or Royal Caribbean? If it matters, I'm a solo traveler (for now) and in my mid 30s.

Thanks in advance!

My opinion: It seems to me that there are two basic reasons why people cruise -- destination; ship amenities (in which I'm including the "loyalty points"). We cruise for destination -- and so look at that first, then figure out which cruise line has the best offer. Doing it that way, we've cruised several different lines, including those I've listed in my sig.

Other people go for stuff on the ship -- entertainment (both the shows and the things like rock climbing, swimming, etc.), and find one cruise line particularly appeals to them for that. They might go to the same places year after year (like, same route to the Caribean) on the same ship.

I think if you're new to cruising, it really is to your advantage to try out different lines..and see which "camp" you fall in to -- "destination" or "cruise line". Then in the future you can plan your vacations accordingly.

I get "credits" on my credit card for $$ spent..which I can use anywhere..so that's what I do.

My opinion: It seems to me that there are two basic reasons why people cruise -- destination; ship amenities (in which I'm including the "loyalty points"). We cruise for destination -- and so look at that first, then figure out which cruise line has the best offer. Doing it that way, we've cruised several different lines, including those I've listed in my sig.

Other people go for stuff on the ship -- entertainment (both the shows and the things like rock climbing, swimming, etc.), and find one cruise line particularly appeals to them for that. They might go to the same places year after year (like, same route to the Caribean) on the same ship.

I think if you're new to cruising, it really is to your advantage to try out different lines..and see which "camp" you fall in to -- "destination" or "cruise line". Then in the future you can plan your vacations accordingly.

I get "credits" on my credit card for $$ spent..which I can use anywhere..so that's what I do.

Ditto...

We did our first 5 cruises with HAL because we enjoyed their ships, the great service and food and we knew what we going to get. Then we began trying other cruise lines, RCL, Princess, Costa, Celebrity, Disney and Carnival, while still taking HAL cruises if they had an itinerary we wanted to go on. The only cruise line I wouldn't recommend to anyone would be Carnival. I won't go into a lot details but bad food, bad service, loud and obnoxious other passengers (many who seemed to only be onboard to see how drunk they could get), dirty interior public spaces, etc.

Other than the bad Carnival experience trying other cruise lines has opened my eyes to what HAL does good and what other cruise lines may do better. We are booked for a 14 day on the Royal Princess in August to Alaska and will be looking for a T/A cruise leaving or going to Rome either in the fall of this year or the Spring of next year. When we do that we will be looking at HAL, Princess, RCL and Celebrity and will base our decision on which line has the best itinerary for us and not on the cruise line.

My suggestion is go on your first cruise and enjoy it and then try another line on your second and compare what you liked between the two. Then decide whether to do another one on one of them or try another cruise line. Generally the repeat passenger appreciation rewards don't even start being worth anything until you have been on 5 cruises and many times the really good benefits don't happen until after 10 or more. So IMHO try a variety of lines before settling down to one cruise line to try to get their benefit program.

Have a great first cruise.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help guys & gals. Much appreciated!

I'm now looking to find an cruise this summer that hits some of the places I want yet doens't cost a fortune for the singles supplement. I'm hooked on the idea of cruising and don't want to wait till December to try it out :)

The loyalty program used to be the big kicker for us but now with prices the way they are and loyalty programs not being what they used to we tend to look for what itinerary looks the best and go with that. :)

Thanks for all the suggestions and help guys & gals. Much appreciated!

I'm now looking to find an cruise this summer that hits some of the places I want yet doens't cost a fortune for the singles supplement. I'm hooked on the idea of cruising and don't want to wait till December to try it out :)

Maybe you could ask among your friends/relatives...get one of them to go with you and share costs. Singles supplements can double the cost of your cruise! (which you probably already have discovered!)

I highly recommend trying other lines and varying itineraries. Some people are content to sail the same itineraries over and over again....we prefer change. Don't let anyone tell you that one product or another is not the way to go. You will need to experience it for yourself to determine if you like it or not. We may find some cruise lines stuffy while others are just our style, but price and itinerary always dictate the starting point for us. You will know when you have found the line(s) that fit your style. Variety is the spice of life!

Each cruise line is very different. We've been on almost all of them and here is our take on a few major lines:

Carnival - Caters to young crowds like high school and early 20's

Disney - Great for kids!! Best overal family experience.

RCCL - Very good kids program and nice ships.

NCL - Dining plans are nice with different options. Ships are nice too.

Celebrity - One on our favorites. Service is a notch higher.

Depending on who and when you are traveling, you may want to try a few different cruise lines.

Reference Site:

www.*****

I've cruised a number of times with:

Celebrity

Princess

Royal Caribbean

Norwegian

Holland America Line

Viking River Cruises

Regent Seven Seas Cruises

And have toured other ships / lines I've yet to sail.

They're all good at delivering the experience they aim to. Travel budget permitting, try each of them (and more) over time as they all offer relatively good value for the money paid. Of the moderately priced lines, in my opinion Celebrity delivers the best experience / value overall.

In regards to the loyalty perks: they're only fantastic after a rather high number of cruises with the same line (15 - 20+), so I don't think it's worth while getting hung up on any given one just for the repeat customer perks (the benefits provided for the first few + cruises are negligible; but the gesture of recognition for being a repeat customer is always nice).

Please do yourself a favor and try different cruise lines!! You'll eventually find the right niche for you. Right now Princess is our cruise line of choice, mainly it is a right fit for us. If Princess doesn't have the itinerary or price we're looking for than we just research which cruise line does. Like the perks, but not enough to keep us there on a permanent basis....enjoy:)

Is it best to stick with one cruise line and build up some repeat business for their loyalty programs or are the programs not that worthwhile?

If it matters, I'm a solo traveler (for now) and in my mid 30s.

It does matter, because it means you're young enough to have options.

Not to be jaded, but building up loyalty points relies a lot on the future solvency/consistency of corporations in a constantly changing business environment. He that giveth can also taketh away when the bottom line gets tight.

I would explore as many different types of experience as possible while you can. After a few cruises you'll start to know your preferences both in itinerary and onboard experience. At that point you can decide whether you want to stick to one or play the field.

I would nver let loyalty points lock you into one line. There are so many ships with different things to offer. Also you can't let a "bad" experince queer you on a specific line. For example I have done fabulous Princess cruises only to have my last one be a horrible cruise (no A/C, bad showers with cold water only, poor staff). Your experience may not just vary line to line but ship to ship. I recommend diving into this site's ship reviews before you book and see what your neighbors thought. Look at their overall reviews and decide that way. It's kind of fun trying the different ships!

Archived