Help needed for Rome hotel location!Please!

kadey

We will be in Rome for a night pre and post cruise in October. I am looking for a location where I can walk easily to most of the sights.I know I can't have it all!!

I am not sure if I'm closer to more places if I'm at a hotel by Trevi Fountain (like Albergo Cesari) or closer to the Coliseum.

Any suggestions , ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!-Kade

Frommers.com has several maps and walking tours, and Fodors probably does too. Try getting a book or open these maps and see where things are.

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/rome/64_maps.html

Your best bet would be to find a place near where you would want to wander in evenings and use buses and metro during day.

Good luck.

We will be in Rome for a night pre and post cruise in October. I am looking for a location where I can walk easily to most of the sights.I know I can't have it all!!

I am not sure if I'm closer to more places if I'm at a hotel by Trevi Fountain (like Albergo Cesari) or closer to the Coliseum.

Any suggestions , ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!-Kade

We stayed at Hotel Paba on Via Cavour, easily in walking distance of the Colosseum and other nearby sights. Go to the reviews page and read my recent review of the Equinox...there's info on Hotel Paba in the review.

For most tourists the area roughly bounded by Piazza Navona to the northwest, Campo dei Fiori to the south, and the Panteon to the east is the dead-center heart of town. You could reasonably argue that the eastern boundary of this "heart" could be extended as far as Trevi (although the Albergo Cesari is closer to the Pantheon than Trevi).

The Colosseum is a lovely area, but it's not in this heart. Of the two, I'd strongly lean toward the Albergo Cesari.

Having said that, central Rome is not all that big, so you'll be fine and close enough at both locations.

I agree with eurocruiser that the area around the Pantheon (bounded by Trevi and Piazza Navona) is about the most central you can get -- as well as being absolutely lovely to walk around and enjoy in the evening.

If Albergo Cesari has availability, I highly recommend it.

I hate to agree with both euro cruiser and cruisemom (but only because they might be upset that I agree with them <grin>) ...

but I agree with their advice completely.

For normal tourism, the Albergo Cesari is an excellent choice both for location and the facility itself.

I hate to agree with both euro cruiser and cruisemom (but only because they might be upset that I agree with them <grin>) ...

but I agree with their advice completely.

For normal tourism, the Albergo Cesari is an excellent choice both for location and the facility itself.

We'll let you get away with it.......this time.....:D

Thank you for your responses.Cesari doe not have availability for our dates! After all my research and your great input.....I've been shut out!!

I do think I'd like to stay in the area where the Cesari is located ,so once again I ask for your kind advice and words of wisdom! Anyone have any suggestions?! How about your opinions about Hotel Portoghesi or Colanna Palace Hotel?

Thanks-(a frustrated) Kade

I'm not familiar with the hotels you list. Have a look at Hotel Santa Chiara -- location is perhaps even better than Cesari but hotel does not have as much character.

Or Hotel Nationale (replace the "t" with a "z" in the name) is often mentioned favorably here.

I'm sorry you can't get the Cesari. It seems to have become very popular!

I just checked the two hotels you listed. I'd not recommend the Portoghesi -- the reviews on Tripadvisor are pretty low, and I tend to be suspicious of any hotel that features more pictures of the famous sites of Rome than of their hotel and rooms on their website. ;)

Colonna palace looks somewhat better but still not great.

Cruisemom- Thank you for your help! I was up till 2:30 a.m.looking at hotels ,then back at it by 8:30 this morning! I'm looking at Hotel Nationale right now. It looks great! I'm just trying to see if they have a rooftop terrace and that could seal the deal!!

I really thank you for you help-Kade

If you can't locate a reasonable hotel with a rooftop terrace, you can always visit the terrace of other hotels -- I've done this several times when not staying at Albergo del Senato. ;)

Near the Pantheon, the hotel Minerva has an excellent bar on the roof with great views.

I also recommend stopping at the rooftop terrace of Hotel Forum, which has great views across the Forum, which is lit up in the evenings.

Here's a good listing of these and other rooftop terraces/bars/restaurants in Rome:

http://www.inromenow.com/site%20templates/LodgingRoofTerrace.html

Thanks for all this help! I am looking into all your suggestions and they've all been great!Feel free to keep them coming!!

Susan-M...could you tell me a little more about the proximity of your suggested hotel to the main sights like Trevi Fountain or the Pantheon?

I seriously appreciate all the help you've all given.I'm starting to feel like I'm getting somewhat of a handle on where I'd like us to be! Cruise Critic members are great!!-Kade

If you are checking on suggestions for tripadvisor, there is a map on the rt side of screen. Click larger map and it points out the sites, etc. Face it- you are going to have to walk/bus/subway a lot to get to some sights, as none are really together.

Face it- you are going to have to walk/bus/subway a lot to get to some sights, as none are really together.

I disagree. If you're used to walking, you can walk most anywhere in Rome. I stayed in Rome for 9 days when my son was 7; we walked all over and never took a cab, bus, or metro once.

Pantheon to Trevi Fountain: 10 mins or less on foot

Pantheon to Roman Forum: 20 mins or less on foot

Pantheon to St Peters basilica: 30 mins on foot

Susan-M...could you tell me a little more about the proximity of your suggested hotel to the main sights like Trevi Fountain or the Pantheon?

Kade,

Here's a link to a google map that I put together which shows a walking route from the hotel (A) to various sites. I don't think you'll want to walk the whole route, but it gives you a good idea of distances/directions.

You can use the metro between the Vatican - Spanish Steps - Colosseum.

Not sure what sites you plan to visit during your time in Rome, but the first day you could walk to the Pantheon/Trevi Fountain/ Spanish Steps, and then take the metro to the Colosseum/Forum. The next visit you could walk to the Vatican Museum/St. Peter's Basilica (about a 15 minute walk) and take in Trastevere and the Jewish Quarter on that trip.

Map with walking directions: http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Via+dei+Tre+Archi,+13+00186+Roma,+Italia&daddr=Pantheon,+Rome+Italy+to:fontana+di+trevi+to:Spanish+Steps,+Rome+Italy+to:Colosseum,+Piazza+del+Colosseo,+9,+00184+Roma+RM,+Lazio,+Italy+to:Foro+Romano,+Roma+Italia+to:Trastevere+Italy+to:Vatican+City&hl=en&geocode=FfRZfwIdU06-ACmFQcOiWmAvEzGZ3dKpAKRl-A%3BFWFTfwIdYmG-AClx3vkfTmAvEzHw9ybem08JHQ%3BFYpafwId4Xm-ACkNs9woU2AvEzHQlTDem08JHQ%3B%3BFektfwIdrKO-AClTEumXt2EvEzHun4YUoyL-hw%3BFa04fwIdvny-ACmdU4JKS2AvEzGgGshc8TCBYA%3BFRg9fwIdmTu-ACl_bovRRmAvEzGgnjDem08JHQ%3BFURjfwIdDQa-ACk9LdRXCoklEzGwfjqymk8JAA&mra=ls&dirflg=w&sll=41.89608,12.473259&sspn=0.038269,0.065575&ie=UTF8&ll=41.897422,12.473259&spn=0.038269,0.065575&z=14

Susan-M: thanks for the map. We are staying near the Vatican, so I will just follow it in reverse.

Crusiemom42: Guess I tend to think of cruisers as more older than younger, altho that is certainly not true. But, since I am 65 and have bad knee and hip, I tend to look for local transportation, and I understand the bus system is quite good, as well as the subway, in Rome. Therefore, my advice was skewed... sorry about that, Kade.

Susan-M: thanks for the map. We are staying near the Vatican, so I will just follow it in reverse.

You're welcome.:) Not sure if you use Google maps, but it's easy to change the order of the route. You can drag the destinations (A, B, C, D ... in the top left of the page) into the order that you want them, or delete destinations. You can also add destinations. That way you'll have a customized map for your own use.

Crusiemom42: Guess I tend to think of cruisers as more older than younger, altho that is certainly not true. But, since I am 65 and have bad knee and hip, I tend to look for local transportation, and I understand the bus system is quite good, as well as the subway, in Rome. Therefore, my advice was skewed... sorry about that, Kade.

Yes, there are good local transportation options in Rome. And I do understand that not everyone can walk all day. :) But in general the historic Rome area is not huge.

My parents are in their 70's and we marched from Pantheon to Fontana di Trevi to Piazza Navona to the Vatican in a day with no problems! While I understand it's not for everyone, the total walking for the day was about 2 km--probably not much more than a day shopping at the local mall.
Yes, there are good local transportation options in Rome. And I do understand that not everyone can walk all day. :) But in general the historic Rome area is not huge.

I'll also add that, while taxis can make their way around carefully, Roma's historic area is primarily a big pedestrian area. So if you can't walk far, then bus/taxi/subway won't help you much anyhow!

Susan,Susan,Susan!!!THANK YOU!!The map is amazing!!

Darylean-all input is appreciated!

Cruisemom-I'm going to sleep a little better tonight because of your help!

Terpnut-I'm a University of Maryland (class of 82) graduate.Love that school too!!

I would reccomend the Trevi fountain location.

The colloseum area is slightly less lively and as someone who lived in Rome for a while I can tell you that nothing was ever going on "around the colloseum."

The trevi fountain is beautiful and although your still a little bit out of the center of all the activity its a great location....Especially to soak up all the culture.

Enjoy!

Archived