Nervous we'll miss the ship

I have to agree with everyone else here.

my only experience flying the day of was nearly a disaster several years ago, and taught me never to go the same day again.

we were the last to board the ship! We were supposed to be there 1 hour before sailing, and we were there 27 minutes before.:eek: i almost had a heart attack (it felt like). They were kind and rushed us on, and I do mean rushed, we ran up the gangway, being told hurry hurry the whole way up.

Do what you can to change that flight. Pay the extra and have peace of mind.

There are many of us who, for whatever reason, have to fly to the port city the day of cruise. I've done it several times and I've never had any problems. The last time we arrived two hours early! I've also flown in a day or two before when I could. Let's not use scare tactics. JWestShuh has insurance, and we can hope and pray for the best.
I don't like scare tactics either; for example, I don't like it when the ship's excursion faithful try to scare new cruisers into thinking that none of us are capable of getting back to the ship during an island stop. We have immense control over that -- but the OP has absolutely no control over whether her plane leaves on time, nor does she have any control over the weather.

And in this case, any little delay could prevent the OP from making her ship. This isn't a "don't do this because of the remote possibility that something could happen" warning . . . rather, it's more like "you can only manage this if everything falls into place perfectly" situation.

I don't want to scare anyone and I'm sure that 99 out of 100 same day flights go well....but that 1 can mess you up. Why risk what you have been planning and working hard to get too....its not worth it and its not worth the stress.
You're giving the airlines too much credit. I checked on it: I checked US Air from my hometown to San Juan. Their "on time percentage" varies from flight to flight, but it ranges from 77 - 93% of their flights arriving on time. MOST of the flights were in the 93% on-time range, but that still means that they're late often enough to be of concern. I can't tell from the stats whether the plane's 10 minutes late or hours late, but the OP can't afford ANY delay for this trip. And I don't live as far away as the OP does, nor do we have to contend with the kind of wintery weather that she does.

Want to check it yourself? Pull up flights, and click on the flight number (all the way to the left). A new screen'll show up, and it'll tell you how often this flight is on time.

It's not scare tactics, it's reality. I have had 1-2 hour delays on most of the last several flights I took; in her case, it could make a difference.
1-2 hours isn't all that much . . . but when your time cushion is so small, it's plenty to make you miss your sailing.

Better rethink this....bad idea! Listen to the people on here who know first hand about this. I've read too many sad stories on this board....I for one, will never book same day flight...ever! We had a close call in February in Galveston because I misplaced our documentation and had to drive almost all the way home, and thank God for fog in Galveston which saved my a&&. Ship didn't depart until 2:00 AM next morning. But it was scary!

I AGREE WITH HOST JACQULIEN...FLY TO MIAMI ON FRIDAY EVENING AND THEN SPEND THE NITE IN MIMAI...SOME CHEAP HOTEL AND THEN TAKE AN EARLY TO MID MORNING FLIGHT FROM MIAMI TO SAN JUAN...OR FLY TO FORT LAUDERDALE INSTAED OF MIAMI...EITHER AIRPORT SHOULD BE FINE BUT AT LEAST YOU HAVE GONE MOST OF THE WAY AND THE FLIGHT FROM EITHER LAUDERDALE OR MIAMI TO SAN JUAN SHOULD ON BE ABOUT 45 MINUTES...AND for god sake don't get an ulcer of this...

I don't understand why you booked airline flights now for a trip next March???

Anyway I would do whatever I could to go at least a day ahead. The last time I flew to San Juan for a cruise(2 days ahead), my flight was delayed and I didn't get to SJ til almost midnight. Had the cruise been leaving that day, I would have missed the ship.

I agree. I made a similar suggestion, though the one I looked at was a Delta flight that went through Atlanta, so not quite as close as Miami. But without knowing the departure airport or the airline she's using, it's hard for all us amateur travel agents to help out with specific suggestions. :)

This is my first time flying to my cruise departure port next March. My husband and I used to live in Georgia and drive to port in Miami. Anyway, long story short, we are scheduled for a cruise out of San Juan next March and we obviously have to fly. My husband is a student, and not knowing his test schedule until mid January, I booked a flight for the day of departure. Well, we live in Michigan and I am starting to get nervous about weather delays. We will arrive in San Juan at 4pm - so that gives us a few hours of delay time. I know you can not read into the future, but I wanted to get a feel for how many of you arrive the day of versus the day before when flying?

Unless I am driving to the port, I plan to arrive one or two days early. The only exception to this was a non-stop red eye I took to San Juan. However, that was in April and out of Los Angeles (which doesn't get snowed in).

Are you on a non-stop? If so, a two hour delay will be no problem. If not, you could missing your connecting flight and that could cause an even longer delay.

That said, if the flight is not until March, why did you book so early? You could have waited until January when you would know the test schedule.

Try this

United Airlines Flight UA7075 on a Canadair Reg. Jet (jet) in coach class

(operated by UNITED EXPRESS/ATLANTIC SOUTHEAST AIRLINES)

Departs Detroit, MI (DTW) Sat, Mar 5 6:00a 1 hr 28 min Arrives Washington, DC (IAD)

7:28a

Layover in Washington 47 min ua.png United Airlines Flight UA699 on an Airbus A320 (jet) in first class

(breakfast, movie)

Departs Washington, DC (IAD) Sat, Mar 5 8:15a 3 hrs 55 min Arrives San Juan, PR (SJU)

1:10p

You can check your airline and get the percentage of time the flight is on time. I'm guessing you'll find 80%. That statistic doesn't really matter as even if it's on time 99% of the time (and I've never seen one that is), you could end up in the 1%. It's a huge risk. Do make alternative plans if you miss the ship. 4 hours is extremely risky.

Try this

United Airlines Flight UA7075 on a Canadair Reg. Jet (jet) in coach class

(operated by UNITED EXPRESS/ATLANTIC SOUTHEAST AIRLINES)

Departs Detroit, MI (DTW) Sat, Mar 5 6:00a 1 hr 28 min Arrives Washington, DC (IAD)

7:28a

Layover in Washington 47 min ua.png United Airlines Flight UA699 on an Airbus A320 (jet) in first class

(breakfast, movie)

Departs Washington, DC (IAD) Sat, Mar 5 8:15a 3 hrs 55 min Arrives San Juan, PR (SJU)

1:10p

A layover of only 47 minutes is a bad idea. If the first flight is delayed they could miss the connection. Even if they make the connection their luggage might not make it. To board the ship without your luggage is another nightmare to think about.

I wouldn't do it. We almost didn't make it for our Diamond cruise a few years ago because the airline changed a gate and we didn't hear the announcement. That day I swore I would never fly on sailing day and I won't. I drive in the day before too. Vacations are too precious to be left to bad luck.

A layover of only 47 minutes is a bad idea. If the first flight is delayed they could miss the connection. Even if they make the connection their luggage might not make it. To board the ship without your luggage is another nightmare to think about.
Its legal so Insurance would cover and many more flights from DC to SJU.

Would you consider a Sunday departure from San Juan? I realize this is a different idea from changing your flights - but I think it would give you the greatest peace of mind. RCL, Princess and Carnival all have ships departing from San Juan on March 6th. Your husband would not have to worry about his exam schedule. You would have the Saturday to fly down and that evening to unwind - then transfer relaxed and unhurried to the ship, whichever one you choose.

Maddle

I thought of this last night...and I think that is what we will probably end up doing to be honest. The flights are much more expensive for that time, but I think in the long run my piece of mind is worth it - and we have time to save for the price difference :) Thanks.

I don't understand why you booked airline flights now for a trip next March???

I was actually the last person on the roll call to book our flight. I booked because prices dropped by $300 a person and they are back up again now...

I thought of this last night...and I think that is what we will probably end up doing to be honest. The flights are much more expensive for that time, but I think in the long run my piece of mind is worth it - and we have time to save for the price difference :) Thanks.

But, if this is what you end up doing, you don't need to change flights; you need to change ships. You've already got the flights to go down on Saturday. It's the price difference in cruise that you'll need to look at. :)

I was actually the last person on the roll call to book our flight. I booked because prices dropped by $300 a person and they are back up again now...

When is your return flight? If it is on a Saturday, then a Sunday to Sunday cruise will not work for you.

I haven't read the entire thread, som maybe this has already been discussed, but what airline are you booked on? Delta has a nonstop from Detroit that would get into San Juan at 2:42 p.m. If you're on Delta or one of their partners I would seriously try to change to this flight. It's non-stop, so you don't have to worry about missing a connecting flight, and it would give you more wiggle room.

A lot of ppl have already posted, but just to ease some of your anxiety... I had 90 minutes last week from when the plane landed to until I got on the boat. I couldn't NOT get there any earlier do to circumstances... I made it on the ship within one hour. Thankfully my plane wasn't delayed... you have 3.5 hours, while it's best to give yourself as much time as possible, I wouldn't worry too much. A suggestion I'd make, if you can't change your flight is to make sure you do your on-line registration!

Cheers,

I haven't read the entire thread, som maybe this has already been discussed, but what airline are you booked on? Delta has a nonstop from Detroit that would get into San Juan at 2:42 p.m. If you're on Delta or one of their partners I would seriously try to change to this flight. It's non-stop, so you don't have to worry about missing a connecting flight, and it would give you more wiggle room.

That's the flight I am on. To anyone still reading this thread - does it matter that I booked through Choice Air? The other thing I am looking at is that our first port is St. Thomas. There are several flights that leave out of San Juan to St. Thomas and St. Croix which is our second port. Honestly, with the $200 pp fee just to change the day, not to mention the change in fair price...I am thinking that if we missed our flight we could just catch the plane. Am I crazy? I know a lot of you already think I am crazy for booking this flight.:o

That's the flight I am on. To anyone still reading this thread - does it matter that I booked through Choice Air? The other thing I am looking at is that our first port is St. Thomas. There are several flights that leave out of San Juan to St. Thomas and St. Croix which is our second port. Honestly, with the $200 pp fee just to change the day, not to mention the change in fair price...I am thinking that if we missed our flight we could just catch the plane. Am I crazy? I know a lot of you already think I am crazy for booking this flight.:o

I see no point in paying a change fee now, especially since you don't know the exam schedule. I would wait until you have more information, maybe exams will be early and you can come in a day or two early. Plus, if Delta changes this flight, you might get a free change anyways. It depends on how many hours the flight changes by and if you get a nice person on the phone. We have been able to change flights with no fee even when the flight only changed a couple of hours. I say wait, but that is just my opinion and seems to be different than everyone else (but what else is new:eek:;)).

Its legal so Insurance would cover and many more flights from DC to SJU.

Yes, it is true that travel insurance will reimburse you if your luggage is delayed and you have to buy replacement clothes and toiletries. But just imagine getting to SJ the day of the cruise and no luggage. You would be frantically out shopping who knows where for whatever you can find in a hurry and then trying to get to the ship on time. Who wants that aggrevation?

I know the airlines schedule short layovers but it is no guarantee there won't be trouble.

Under the circumstances this might be your best option.

But you already have the flight down, right? so no price increase for that - except now you need a hotel room.

...or, did you mean the return flight is a lot more money?

How long is your husband's time off from school? Could you put off your return flight for a day or two? That might allow you a less expensive flight. (Of course, then you need more nights in a hotel, and I'm sure the money supply is not endless.)

Good luck.

Maddle

If you can’t change your flight for this cruise, can you change your cruise to a time where you can fly a day early? Won't you need to go though customs too once you arrive in San Juan? I think there is a really good chance you will miss the boat. Michigan in winter can be brutal not to mention that even if your flight leaves Michigan on time, if there is bad weather someplace else it can cause flight delays in any city. Good luck!

I guess I should have read all the way though the post before posting. I think you have it all figured out. :)

No direct experience with this but there is a law called the Jones Act which places limitations on which ports the ship can board passengers

if the ship goes from one U.S. port to another without stopping in a foreign port in between. This may mean you can't board in St. Thomas and St. Croix.

Archived