Help!! What to do in Aruba??

cruisingbajan

We were on RCI and did a taste of Aruba tour. We took a boat out to anotherboat where you sit below the water line and go around a ship wreck--very nice. Then we went around the island and saw the sights including natural bridge...very nice tour. Enjoyed the itinerary so much we are going again this year! I plan to see more of Oranjestad this time.

We were on RCI and did a taste of Aruba tour. We took a boat out to anotherboat where you sit below the water line and go around a ship wreck--very nice. Then we went around the island and saw the sights including natural bridge...very nice tour. Enjoyed the itinerary so much we are going again this year! I plan to see more of Oranjestad this time.

Sounds interesting. Did you do it independently or through the ship?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

i stayed in aruba for a week at the marriot surf club. right on the beach, they have lounge chairs to lay on at teh beach and the water is gorgeous and still you can float right in the ocean.. w a float of course. so bring a tube and convince a friends to blow it up. or sneak up to the towel hut at the resort and use their air compressor :) and no you dont have to be stayin at the hotel to use the chairs.

Did you have any time to visit any shops before or after your tour?

Come and join the Roll Call for Adventure of the Seas 1-30-2011.

i stayed in aruba for a week at the marriot surf club. right on the beach, they have lounge chairs to lay on at teh beach and the water is gorgeous and still you can float right in the ocean.. w a float of course. so bring a tube and convince a friends to blow it up. or sneak up to the towel hut at the resort and use their air compressor :) and no you dont have to be stayin at the hotel to use the chairs.

This is totally not true. While the beaches are public, the chairs are not. I was in Aruba last week, and watched many chair poachers being asked to leave.

Also, all towel huts do not have air compressors. I have never stayed in the high rise district, so perhaps they are up there?

TKinRock,

Was that the Seaworld Explorer you were on? Was it Air conditioned inside? We are currently booked for that tour in Aruba in August and had read a thread about the one in Curacao not being airconditioned and these folks didn't enjoy it. I was looking forward to this tour as it was a view of the underseas life and the highlights of the island. Would you recommend it as a good tour and comfortable as well? Thanks for your report!

When we went to Aruba for our first time by cruise ship-- we were in port from 8am until 10pm.

I dont know how long the AOS is in port.

What we did was take a half day tour using abc jeep tour and got to see all the good sites aruba has to offer.

We then got dropped back at the pier and went back to the ship for lunch- then took a taxi to the Palm Beach where we got lounge chairs outside the Radisson. (by 4pm most of the hotel guests were not out at the beach)

we watched the sunset--beautiful.

Because of our day in Aruba we decided to try a land vacation the following year- loved it so much we been back 3 times and last year we got ourselves a time share.

When we went to Aruba for our first time by cruise ship-- we were in port from 8am until 10pm.

I dont know how long the AOS is in port.

What we did was take a half day tour using abc jeep tour and got to see all the good sites aruba has to offer.

We then got dropped back at the pier and went back to the ship for lunch- then took a taxi to the Palm Beach where we got lounge chairs outside the Radisson. (by 4pm most of the hotel guests were not out at the beach)

we watched the sunset--beautiful.

Because of our day in Aruba we decided to try a land vacation the following year- loved it so much we been back 3 times and last year we got ourselves a time share.

We are there from 8:00am to 6:00pm. The ABC jeep touyr certainly sounds like something we would do. Is there a website/or email address?

Thanks

The ABC jeep touyr certainly sounds like something we would do. Is there a website/or email address?

http://www.abc-aruba.com/

Have to agree with 6rugrats. In 19 trips to Aruba we have seen many people who are not guests at a specific resort being asked to vacate chaise lounges.

All beaches in Aruba are public so you can lay your towel on the sand wherever you like. The chaises and palapas however are the resort's property for the use of their guests.

On Palm Beach there are a number of vendors who rent chaise lounges and umbrellas. MoomBa specifically caters to cruisers. There has not been much talk of them lately, but day passes are also available at specific resorts.

Have to agree with 6rugrats. In 19 trips to Aruba we have seen many people who are not guests at a specific resort being asked to vacate chaise lounges.

All beaches in Aruba are public so you can lay your towel on the sand wherever you like. The chaises and palapas however are the resort's property for the use of their guests.

Yes, when you are paying quite a bit of money to stay at a resort, it's annoying, to say the least, to watch the people stroll down the beach, or come in from the parking lot, and try to poach the chaise lounges/palapas.

http://www.abc-aruba.com/jeep_safari_half.html

Ilike the 10:00- 3:30 tour better.

You can get in a jeep with a tour guide or you can ask to drive one of the jeeps with other passengers. We were on vacation and honey does not drive. Once we got to the area of the NAtural Pool he was sooo glad he wasnt driving.

http://www.abc-aruba.com/

On Palm Beach there are a number of vendors who rent chaise lounges and umbrellas. MoomBa specifically caters to cruisers. There has not been much talk of them lately, but day passes are also available at specific resorts.

http://www.abc-aruba.com/jeep_safari_half.html

Ilike the 10:00- 3:30 tour better.

You can get in a jeep with a tour guide or you can ask to drive one of the jeeps with other passengers. We were on vacation and honey does not drive. Once we got to the area of the NAtural Pool he was sooo glad he wasnt driving.

Thanks for the links guys. Really appreciate it.:)

You mentioned that you are not interested in anything involving a beach. On the off chance that a boat ride and snorkeling might be of interest, I'd suggest one.

One of the most fascinating snorkels I've had was in Aruba. Our excursion was booked through the cruise line on a Red Sail catamaran - nice stairs into the water. At our first of two stops we ended up in the middle of a huge school of yellow snapper - a bright silver fish with a yellow stripe and tail. I spent a glorious half hour marveling at the thousands of fish swimming around me. I was so enthralled that I ignored the nearby reef with its more colorful fish.

Curious question: why no beach?

the reason I ask- we are not beach people at all. Hate the beach. More because I dont go in the water since Jaws.

And they I found Aruba beaches. Never been somewhere that is sooo quiet. (i swear I had to keep testing to see if the sound was on on the video)

there were no waves in the ocean-- very calm. Sand is like refined sugar.

We became beach people on our cruise day in aruba

Agree with the others: ABC Jeep Tours is a great tour and you get to see a lot of the rugged side of Aruba. They also do this tour with ATV's if you are interested in that sort of thing. The submarine is a great way to see the reef/wreck without getting wet; but, it is quite compact! They have the ostrich farm (we did not visit this; but, you would be able to get there by bus).

Curious question: why no beach?

the reason I ask- we are not beach people at all. Hate the beach. More because I dont go in the water since Jaws.

And they I found Aruba beaches. Never been somewhere that is sooo quiet. (i swear I had to keep testing to see if the sound was on on the video)

there were no waves in the ocean-- very calm. Sand is like refined sugar.

We became beach people on our cruise day in aruba

If you check my location you maybe able to understand a bit better why no beach.;):)

I have been exposed to the whole sun/sea and sand bit all my life. Its pretty much same old...same old to me.:( I love the beach just not while I am on vacation:D

ABC tours has now contracted with Carnival. So if you are there the same day as a carnival ship, they won't take you on a tour unless you book it through Carnival. :(

Thanks Jan.

We are on AOS. Does this mean they only take Carnival passengers even when other ships are in port?:(

You mentioned that you are not interested in anything involving a beach. On the off chance that a boat ride and snorkeling might be of interest, I'd suggest one.

One of the most fascinating snorkels I've had was in Aruba. Our excursion was booked through the cruise line on a Red Sail catamaran - nice stairs into the water. At our first of two stops we ended up in the middle of a huge school of yellow snapper - a bright silver fish with a yellow stripe and tail. I spent a glorious half hour marveling at the thousands of fish swimming around me. I was so enthralled that I ignored the nearby reef with its more colorful fish.

Sounds like this could be fun.:)

Thanks Jan.

We are on AOS. Does this mean they only take Carnival passengers even when other ships are in port?:(

No. This company also "sells" to hotel guests.

I do not think you will be docked the same day as the carnival

Hi there,

We were originally doing the See And Sea tour through RCI for our cruise that includes Aruba as a stop but after reading a couple of reviews that said the semi-submersible was a bit claustrophobic and could make you seasick in rough seas we decided to switch to the Depalm island tour which includes lunch, beach chairs and a 4hr day at the beach. Anyone else done this and were you happy with your choice?

If we wanted to tour the island afterwards could a taxi trip to the lighthouse etc. be possible? We arrive at 8:30 and sail at 6pm, just wondering how much we can get into the one day. Thanks, MJN

Archived