Postage Stamps in Italy

romanroxy

If you want to mail any postcards from Italy, here are a few places you can purchase postage and mail them (that I knew of):

.85 centos

ROME/VC

• At the Vatican (in St. Peter's Square).
  • Plus, there is another Postal place across the street as you exit the Vatican.

POMPEII

• Near/behind the souvenir stands, plus there is a red drop box and a place to purchase postage.

NAPLES

• There is a place inside the terminal as you exit the ship. I don't really know if this place was a postale office or a place to purchase money orders...but, they sell postage there (the lick 'em type). I bought postage here and mailed postcards from Pompeii (luckily I did that, because the Pompeii location was closed later, so I dropped my postcards in the box on Thursday and it arrived by Monday!!! That's FAST!)

Not sure about the other ports. :)

If you want to mail any postcards from Italy, here are a few places you can purchase postage and mail them (that I knew of):

.85 centos

ROME/VC

• At the Vatican (in St. Peter's Square).
  • Plus, there is another Postal place across the street as you exit the Vatican.

POMPEII

• Near/behind the souvenir stands, plus there is a red drop box and a place to purchase postage.

NAPLES

• There is a place inside the terminal as you exit the ship. I don't really know if this place was a postale office or a place to purchase money orders...but, they sell postage there (the lick 'em type). I bought postage here and mailed postcards from Pompeii (luckily I did that, because the Pompeii location was closed later, so I dropped my postcards in the box on Thursday and it arrived by Monday!!! That's FAST!)

Not sure about the other ports. :)[/quo

we bought our stamps from a tabbachi (sp) shop near the pantheon. Just remember if you buy italian stamps they need to be mailed within italy. there are little red boxes with slots around the area that is for mail. just ask. one mistake we made was to buy stamps, get on our transatlantic cruise in rome and find out we couldn't mail postcards from spain or portugal with italian stamps, had to wait till we got to fort lauderdale LOL:D to mail them.:confused: Wasn't gonna spend my time in ports looking for post office.:eek: never even thought about it

miss pupule

Have things improved over the last decade with PosteItaliane? When I spent an extended time in Rome in 2001, I was warned by my neighbors to walk over to the Vatican to mail things home, if I really wanted it to get there (or to get there on a timely basis).

My mail has always arrived in the U.S. faster if I mail it from the Vatican rather than Rome. Remember, Vatican City is its own country and has its own Postal system.

You can buy stamps at any Tabacchi store. And, I don't have any problems with the Italian Post. They did a great job of helping me get a box of ceramics mailed from Montelupo back home to the U.S. The box arrived home before I did, and was totally intact.

Just remember - the post boxes are SMALL, not like the ones we have here in the US. Look for the boxes up against the walls of buildings, not against the curb like in the US. The Tabacchi store employee will be able point you in the direction of the nearest box.

Archived