Enforcement of Dress Code

DaKingfish

Hey Folks:

Just curious, as I took my first cruise with Princess a month ago. I am one of these types that respects the rules and policies of an establishment and feel that if I cannot live up to them, I should not involve myself.

More than once on the cruise, which was the Emerald Princess, I noticed cruisers that were not adhering to the dress code for dinner in the formal dining rooms. Many were wearing shorts, or even t-shirts. One evening, I looked over and a gentleman was wearing shorts, a t-shirt AND flip-flops.

I hate to sound like a kill-joy or anything, but is Princess in general that lax on enforcing their dress policy? If I had any choice, I would prefer to wear nice shorts and all as well (from a comfort standpoint), but as I said, the policy is what it is, and I do honestly feel it gives a much more professional and formal feel when everyone is dressed nicely.

This type of thing really grates me, because in my career, I have learned the importance of consistency in enforcing policy. What good is a policy if it is not enforced???

I previously cruised with Norwegian and they did not hesitate to turn people away at the door, which I respect, as they were enforcing their policy.

Other than that, I had a wonderful time with Princess and plan on cruising with them again this fall, so it is not that big of a deal to me. I was just curious as to what others have seen.

Take care,

-DK

We were on the Diamond princess and we had traditional dining. We do not do formal nights. While dining one evening the Head waiter ask us where we were the night before and I explained to him that we had dinner at the buffet because we did not want to dress up. He looked at me and told us just to come in on formal night and he would feed us and not to worry. So Im sure he told other people this also. I just wish they would eliminate formal nights but untill thet do we will still eat somewhere else.

I just left a comment on another thread about dress codes. It really does depend on the particular ship or the guard person at the entrance to the dining room how they wish to adhear to the dress code.

Hey Folks:

Just curious, as I took my first cruise with Princess a month ago. I am one of these types that respects the rules and policies of an establishment and feel that if I cannot live up to them, I should not involve myself.

More than once on the cruise, which was the Emerald Princess, I noticed cruisers that were not adhering to the dress code for dinner in the formal dining rooms. Many were wearing shorts, or even t-shirts. One evening, I looked over and a gentleman was wearing shorts, a t-shirt AND flip-flops.

I hate to sound like a kill-joy or anything, but is Princess in general that lax on enforcing their dress policy? If I had any choice, I would prefer to wear nice shorts and all as well (from a comfort standpoint), but as I said, the policy is what it is, and I do honestly feel it gives a much more professional and formal feel when everyone is dressed nicely.

This type of thing really grates me, because in my career, I have learned the importance of consistency in enforcing policy. What good is a policy if it is not enforced???

I previously cruised with Norwegian and they did not hesitate to turn people away at the door, which I respect, as they were enforcing their policy.

Other than that, I had a wonderful time with Princess and plan on cruising with them again this fall, so it is not that big of a deal to me. I was just curious as to what others have seen.

Take care,

-DK

I too sailed on the Emerald Princess last month, and we noticed there were a TON of first time passengers onboard that ship. So much so, that as you walked down the halls, there were very few non-blue name tags to be seen. Now admittedly, this means first time on Princess, and some may have sailed on other lines, but those we happened to talk with were all first time cruisers on any ship. And the age group was mostly young ones (20's) also.

I too sailed on the Emerald Princess last month, and we noticed there were a TON of first time passengers onboard that ship. So much so, that as you walked down the halls, there were very few non-blue name tags to be seen. Now admittedly, this means first time on Princess, and some may have sailed on other lines, but those we happened to talk with were all first time cruisers on any ship. And the age group was mostly young ones (20's) also.

Just curious.. what does this have to do with the OP questions or concerns? Are you saying that first time cruisers and 20's generally don't follow the Dress Code guidelines?

Just curious.. what does this have to do with the OP questions or concerns? Are you saying that first time cruisers and 20's generally don't follow the Dress Code guidelines?

I am just saying that many young cruisers don't realize there is even a dress code to follow until they board (from what we were told by some newbie young cruisers onboard the Emerald last month). Sorry, I should have added more to my response instead of just thinking 2 and 2 would be put together to equal 4. ;)

When I was at school, a uniform policy existed and was vigilantly policed by the teachers. The students could never see the benefits of uniformity and truly enjoyed their "free dress days". Perhaps the seeds of non-conformity germinated there.

I agree with the OP who mentioned there is "a general lax in enforcing their dress policy". It's a shame for the majority of cruise who do observe Princess' dress policy.

If first-timers don't know about the dress code (or any other nifty rules/regulations/customs onbaord), Princess only has themselves to blame: maybe if they sent out an actual paper Cruise Answer Book anymore, new cruisers would be more aware. Seriously, a first-timer probably doesn't even realize there's a Cruise Answer Book, much less think to look it up and read it online. But if they had it in their hand and were only flipping the pages, seeing photos of people in tuxes might pique their curiosity enough to actually discover some of these things. Based on some newby questions here lately, some travel agents certainly can't be counted upon to provide assistance.

And, OP, flip-flops are actually allowed (not really appropriate on formal night but certainly on other nights). Whether men should ever wear them is another question: pedicures are not just for ladies, guys!

If they had turned away all the non conformists they wouldn't have been that many people in the dining room at times. I really believe more & more people are getting fed up with the regimented form of traditional dress & modify it according to their desires.

To the OP: As long as you are happy dressing formally what does it take away from your total enjoyment if the others don't follow your lead. If you like adhering to their suggestions it should please you enough just to follow their guidelines knowing that the others don't.

Last year, in Alaska, which is know to be a bit more casual (as a whole, not a rule), I was actually surprised at the number of people who were dressed more formally! Almost every man in the mdr had on at least a jacket, if not a tux!

This was better than our Baltic cruise the previous summer.:)

If first-timers don't know about the dress code (or any other nifty rules/regulations/customs onbaord), Princess only has themselves to blame: maybe if they sent out an actual paper Cruise Answer Book anymore, new cruisers would be more aware. Seriously, a first-timer probably doesn't even realize there's a Cruise Answer Book, much less think to look it up and read it online. But if they had it in their hand and were only flipping the pages, seeing photos of people in tuxes might pique their curiosity enough to actually discover some of these things. Based on some newby questions here lately, some travel agents certainly can't be counted upon to provide assistance.

And, OP, flip-flops are actually allowed (not really appropriate on forma night but certainly on other nights). Whether men should ever wear them is another question: pedicures are not just for ladies, guys!

To be fair...I talked with a couple of guys last week on the Emerald who were not informed of the dress code by either a travel agent or any mailing by Princess. Yes...these young men were in the their early 20s and this cruise was a graduation present from their parents.

They were actually a bit embarrassed that they had "underpacked". I told them to just not worry about it and got with the flow. This was our 5th cruise (1st with Princess) and noticed that most (>95%) of the passengers wore jackets on formal night. Having said that...this was probably the first cruise where I had to dig around to get information about a cruise lines policies, schedules, etc. I think Princess wants to cut down on the amount of mailings they send out and have you rely on following their linkable emails. Of course...that doesn't stop them from sending out twice a week sale flyers for cruises in the Baltic. :D

If it makes you feel better I was on a Crystal cruise on the Mexican Riviera one spring a few years ago. Everything was fine until we stopped in a port where the guests from Mexico City boarded. They were rude, didn't dress up (jeans, print cowboy shirts, etc), were extremely loud and cut in line. We were EXTREMELY upset with Crystal and will probably NEVER sail with them again because they didn't police their policies.

I grew up in the 50's and learned to respect others, seniors, rules and so forth. I still see the same practices when I visit Europe and AU, but sadly it appears that the North American continent has broken down those fashions and allows people do their own thing. “We are all equals and there are no losers”. My personal opinion is that our failure stems from our education system, but I don't want to start a war, so don't flame that. It is something we have to live with and until we buy our own cruise line and set our own rules and enforcement we have to live with what the administration on the ship enforces.

On a similar note, has anyone ever seen the "no reserving" policy for pool chairs enforced? On our three Princess cruises, many of the chairs seem to have been occupied by Mr. Book and Mrs. Towel, etc., for much of the day. JMO.

If they had turned away all the non conformists they wouldn't have been that many people in the dining room at times. I really believe more & more people are getting fed up with the regimented form of traditional dress & modify it according to their desires.

With the diverse types of people cruising these days, there may be more and more of those who don't want to dress up now cruising. It's a snow ball effect. With cruise lines not enforcing the policies, people will continue to ignore dress code. Thus passing on that THEY didn't dress up. Then new cruisers who read or hear about it become casual diners during formal nights, and it goes on and on.

Enforcement is the key.

When we were on the Emerald Princess, one of the head waiters quietly reminded some men to remove their baseball caps during lunch in the dining room. I wish some of my co-workers could learn this custom.

When we were on the Emerald Princess, one of the head waiters quietly reminded some men to remove their baseball caps during lunch in the dining room. I wish some of my co-workers could learn this custom.

As well as no towels allowed in the dining room at lunch time.

With the diverse types of people cruising these days, there may be more and more of those who don't want to dress up now cruising. It's a snow ball effect. With cruise lines not enforcing the policies, people will continue to ignore dress code. Thus passing on that THEY didn't dress up. Then new cruisers who read or hear about it become casual diners during formal nights, and it goes on and on.

Enforcement is the key.

Not a loss of profits it wont be and the trend seems to be away from the true formal attire.

To be fair...I talked with a couple of guys last week on the Emerald who were not informed of the dress code by either a travel agent or any mailing by Princess. Yes...these young men were in the their early 20s and this cruise was a graduation present from their parents.

They were actually a bit embarrassed that they had "underpacked". I told them to just not worry about it and got with the flow. This was our 5th cruise (1st with Princess) and noticed that most (>95%) of the passengers wore jackets on formal night. Having said that...this was probably the first cruise where I had to dig around to get information about a cruise lines policies, schedules, etc. I think Princess wants to cut down on the amount of mailings they send out and have you rely on following their linkable emails. Of course...that doesn't stop them from sending out twice a week sale flyers for cruises in the Baltic. :D

Exactly the situation we ran into on the Emerald. They weren't bucking the system, they just had no idea of what was expected of them.

Enforcement and cruising, just don't go together. Most people love the graciousness of the cruise staff. Who is likely to choose a cruiseline that has a dining staff charged with making the guests uncomfortable about something as inconsequential as clothing choices?

Yeah

Archived