So who has had a disaster experience while on a cruise?

Last year we were on Mariner and we (there was 4 of us) had reservations at Chops. Around 4:30 I was coming back to my room and my boyfriend is standing outside our room while there is staff all over and the rooms across from us were flooded. As I get closer to my room, my BF tells me we cant go into ours yet. while it was not flooded, the carpet was drenched and the bathrooms were soaked. So here I am getting disappointed that we are going to miss our dinner reservations when one of the head cabin managers comes over to me and tells me not to worry he will take care of everything. Our room stewart shows up with cleaning supplies in hand, sanatizes the bathroom so I can get ready, while other crew is trying to mop up the water. I ask about moving our reservations to the next hour and the staff look at me with a smile and tell me not to worry we will be seated as soon as we are ready. When we finally make it up to the restuarant we are treated like gold. They comped our bill and brought us a nice bottle of wine to make up for it. This was so nice considering the only thing I asked for was to move our reservations up an hour. I love RCCL!!! They really do go above and beyond.

Virtually all the flooding from the plumbing aboard ships is caused by putting sanitary napkins or tampons in the toilets. It sounds like someone on the same plumbing loop as your cabin was very inconsiderate. It's unfortunate, that they usually cause problems for their neighbors.

I'm glad that your disaster came out well at the end of the evening.

Your story line had me thinking of a disaster, as we had one just before leaving the Monarch of the Seas a few years ago, when 3 crew members died, by being overcome by toxic gas, while trying to repair a line. That one was tragic!!:(

Rick

I'm glad that your disaster came out well at the end of the evening.

Your story line had me thinking of a disaster, as we had one just before leaving the Monarch of the Seas a few years ago, when 3 crew members died, by being overcome by toxic gas, while trying to repair a line. That one was tragic!!:(

Rick

OH NO I had not heard about that. :( How sad.

My only cruise (so far) was for my honeymoon. We set sail on 9/9/01. Two days later was September 11, 2001.

I'm pretty certain that qualifies as a disaster. :(

I came home from a cruise the same day you left. I cannot imagine being away from home and finding out about 9/11.

My only cruise (so far) was for my honeymoon. We set sail on 9/9/01. Two days later was September 11, 2001.

I'm pretty certain that qualifies as a disaster. :(

Oh my gosh. I can't even imagine. What port were you in that day? I was at sea when we "declared war" on Iraq, but that's obviously totally different. Wow.

I was on what was supposed to be a week-long cruise from New Orleans that didn't go anywhere, because an accident down-river had the river closed to ship traffic. But I don't think of that cruise as a disaster, because, much like with the OP, Royal Caribbean went out of their way to make things right.

As for 9/11...We were not cruising then, but had a cruise scheduled out of Miami for only a couple weeks after. It made us a little more nervous than usual about flying, and then getting to the Miami airport and seeing National Guard troops all around the airport, carrying their big guns was a little bit freaky.

Wow, these are some sad and scary situations. I cannot imagine being on a ship during September 11. Did they play the live feeds on the stateroom TV's?? I am sure there were lots of phone calls home that day.

I will never forget that morning.

We were in Sitka, Alaska that horrible day. Due to the time difference we were way out of the loop in fact only because DH wanted to check out the stock market did we find out what had happened. The loop played on and on, we just couldn't wrap our heads around it........that this had really happened several hours before. We got off the ship for a short time, I will never forget the crowds of people inside and outside the church in the town square. Once all pax were back on board the Captain came over the loudspeaker and expressed his condolences to all the American pax. He was the one to tell us that no one could leave the ship until it had been thoroughly searched...we had to stay in our cabin with the door open. Many pax wanted to get off the ship and go home but there were no flights. We stopped in Victoria but didn't feel like getting off the ship, we did get off in Seattle and it was so eerie not to see any airplanes in the sky. The cruise ended in San Fran and we had to stay a couple of extra days waiting for the flights to be adjusted. Everyone we spoke to said they had never missed their home or their families as much as we all did the days following 9/11.

There was one New Year's cruise where a tsunami hit the ship, flipped it upside down, and a rag-tag group of us had to make our way "up" to the hull of the ship to escape.

But other than that, no disasters.

Are you serious?!?! What line? When? Omg

There was one New Year's cruise where a tsunami hit the ship, flipped it upside down, and a rag-tag group of us had to make our way "up" to the hull of the ship to escape.

That's funny! :D

Seriously? I'd be very surprised if a tsunami was noticed much by a ship at sea, much less capsize one. I don't proclaim to be an expert on the subject, but we're not talking The Perfect Storm type of stuff here.

How big was your ship?

I'm sure the poster is referring to "The Poseidon Adventure", the popular movie about a capsized cruise ship. The original film was from 1972. I seem to remember a later remake, but I don't think it was very successful. I'm obviously dating myself!!

Edited by printingchick

I was on what was supposed to be a week-long cruise from New Orleans that didn't go anywhere, because an accident down-river had the river closed to ship traffic. But I don't think of that cruise as a disaster, because, much like with the OP, Royal Caribbean went out of their way to make things right.

Were you on the Granduer? We were on the Rhapsody which was supposed to go into NO for Mardi Gras but could not get in.

I consider this a disaster:

One week before our cruise to Mex Riviera, I had my teeth cleaned. I have a crown in front tooth (lost tooth in the 80's riding bike in empty pool). I felt that it was loose, so I told the dentist. He said no, its ok. I said again, it feels loose, he said no, it's cemented.

One week later, I was snorkeling somewhere in the middle of P.V... I come up from the water and my friend says, dude, what happened to your tooth? I said, wuff toof? Oh no, it was GONE!!!!!!!!! I dove down and could not find it! I went into panic mode, wondering how I would survive a week on a ship with no toof! I got out and searched for a dentist, but it was siesta time, so everyone was closed! I panicked even more, knowing that I would be auditioning for the talent show, as Elvis, with jumpsuit and all, but with no TOOF! I started knocking on dentist office doors, finally someone answered. I explained to them the situation... and they fixed it! But, the dammnn tooth was the size of a CHIKLET! I guess that was better than no tooth!

Edited by klfhngr

I came home from a cruise the same day you left. I cannot imagine being away from home and finding out about 9/11.

I am a survivor of the 9/11 attack on the WTC. I was 52 floors up in Tower 2. Made it out with a 1/2 hour to spare before the building came down. 298 of my colleagues never made it out.

Carol

I was on with my entire family (all adults) when we hit a reef in St Maarten, had to abandon ship around 11 PM all 3000 passengers waited on the pier all night finally around 7AM we were put on a bus and taken to a resort; A NUDEST RESORT. RCI was great under the circumstances and we re-took the same cruise the next year.

I was on with my entire family (all adults) when we hit a reef in St Maarten, had to abandon ship around 11 PM all 3000 passengers waited on the pier all night finally around 7AM we were put on a bus and taken to a resort; A NUDEST RESORT. RCI was great under the circumstances and we re-took the same cruise the next year.

Im sorry that happend but you just gave me my first big chuckle of the day. "A nudist resort" lolol :). Glad to see RCI took care of you lol. I dont mean to make light of what happend but thats pretty funny.

Adri :)