National Geographic show tonight

Love Cruises

I stayed up too late to watch what otherwise should have been a Modern Marvels or Building Things Bigger show. Clearly RCCL and NatGeo rushed this production and really didn't have time to get good footage on an actual sailing.

I would have thought NatGeo producers would have wanted to emphasize ship board life, the economics of a large ship (both for RCCL and ports), evolution of cruising as an industry and a social phenomenom, things like that.

Personally kind of disappointed in the show.:(

Dennis

Actually this show is from the NatGeo series entitled "Manmade". The sole purpose of the series is to showcase man's engineering skills. They've featured some very fascinating "manmade" wonders.

Give the Travel Channel a while; & I'll bet they'll come up w/ a feature on the actual "Oasis" cruise experience as they have done in the past w/ quite a few other cruise ships/lines.

Thanks

I did see the show on CNBC. It was excellent from the pure business perspective of the profitability and profit drivers of the cruise industry. I just noted in the show, particularly the discussion of the carousel decision, that they really glossed over the various newer aspects of cruising exemplified by the Oasis. Oasis is unabashedly a floating theme park, in contrast to earlier ships that have entertaining add-ons. I think that evolutionary step is worthy of the kind of reporting that NatGeo would do.

But, you are right I did miss that the show was part of the series Manmade. That does put it in the same category as Modern Marvels.

Dennis

I saw part of it ... interesting.

My little grandson would love the Carousel ... but I am not sure I'd be interested in the zipline! :eek:

I thought the part on the design of the carousel was interesting. I would never have thought about the logistics of something like that being on an other than level floor.

RE: Stability of the carousel

I wondered if by chance they use gyroscopes to keep it "leveled" as they do on some cruise ships that have billiards/pool tables. They use gyroscopes to "float" the pool table top. Modern technology in such unique venues is quite fascinating, isn't it?

RE: Stability of the carousel

I wondered if by chance they use gyroscopes to keep it "leveled" as they do on some cruise ships that have billiards/pool tables. They use gyroscopes to "float" the pool table top. Modern technology in such unique venues is quite fascinating, isn't it?

They need to keep the pool table level, since the balls will roll around otherwise.

As for the carousel, since it is attached, there shouldn't be a need for a gyro. Perhaps stronger support than a normal carousel. The elevators on the ship have no gyro, and they need to move even if the ship rolls and pitches in a storm.

They need to keep the pool table level, since the balls will roll around otherwise.

As for the carousel, since it is attached, there shouldn't be a need for a gyro. Perhaps stronger support than a normal carousel. The elevators on the ship have no gyro, and they need to move even if the ship rolls and pitches in a storm.

A carousel horse going around and up and down and tilting on it's axis trying to stay level sounds like a sure cause for motion sickness.

There's a video on youtube of the self-leveling pool table during somewhat rough weather that's really interesting.

Archived