National Geographic show tonight

Love Cruises

Eventhough I am a die-hard HOLLAND AMERICA LINE fan loving their "DAM" ships and will probably never go on RCCL's Oasis of the Sea, there is a show on tonight on the National Geographic channel highlighting this megaship. I'll tune the show in just to take a look.

Our friends from Ft. Lauderdale are going on this ship in November. They told us because there are so many passengers on board, you have to make reservations in advance for the shows at night. And, of course, there are additional charges for everything else (like the Carousel, etc.).

Eventhough I am a die-hard HOLLAND AMERICA LINE fan loving their "DAM" ships and will probably never go on RCCL's Oasis of the Sea, there is a show on tonight on the National Geographic channel highlighting this megaship. I'll tune the show in just to take a look.

Our friends from Ft. Lauderdale are going on this ship in November. They told us because there are so many passengers on board, you have to make reservations in advance for the shows at night. And, of course, there are additional charges for everything else (like the Carousel, etc.).

What time is it on?

Discovery Channel ran a program recently on Oasis. I watched part of it, but finally had to turn it off. It just seems so unshiplike, so unrelaxing, so unvacation to be on a ship with as many people as live in the town where we live :)

Discovery Channel ran a program recently on Oasis. I watched part of it, but finally had to turn it off. It just seems so unshiplike, so unrelaxing, so unvacation to be on a ship with as many people as live in the town where we live :)

Have to agree with you, we were on Freedom of the Seas a couple of years ago which at that time it was the largest ship. Active - yes Relaxing - No. Felt like I was at a mixture of Disney World and a shopping center. I will take HAL over RCCL for the food, service and relaxation. Not to knock RCCL, some people like all that. My DW and I have a word for them "First Timers" Trying to do everything possible before the vacation ends and come home completely exhausted. We did the same thing many cruises ago.

Our listing on the National Geographic Channel says the show is about Freedom of the Seas, first broadcast in 2009.

Dan

Our listing on the National Geographic Channel says the show is about Freedom of the Seas, first broadcast in 2009.

Dan

Our channel listing also says the article is on the Freedom of the Seas. We went on the Liberty a year ago with our daughter and SIL and really enjoyed it.

Just so you know, there is not a charge for the Carousel. Neither is there a charge for the flowriders, the rock climbing wall, the zip line or ice skating. Now I realize people may not want to do these activities, but if you choose to, you do NOT have to pay.

Also, it helps you make reservations in advance (on Royal's website), but you can also make reservations while on board, or you can just show up and take whatever seats are available after those with reservations are seated.

Just so you know, there is not a charge for the Carousel. Neither is there a charge for the flowriders, the rock climbing wall, the zip line or ice skating. Now I realize people may not want to do these activities, but if you choose to, you do NOT have to pay.

Also, it helps you make reservations in advance (on Royal's website), but you can also make reservations while on board, or you can just show up and take whatever seats are available after those with reservations are seated.

Thanks for the clarification... this is what my friends told me. They aren't going on the ship until November. I'll let them know what you said. I'm sure they will be happy to hear they were misinformed.

It was interesting, but they sure didn't show much of the interior.

Just saw the show. It was indeed about the 'Oasis', even though the channel guide mistakenly listed it as the 'Freedom'.

Now I am a big fan of HAL style cruising and ships. My favorite.

On the other hand, I have to appreciate what a stunning achievement in design and engineering RCI and STX have created. It is a totally different concept from what most of us here like, but still, that is an awesome ship. I like to try different experiences, and I intend to try that some day.

But I'll still sail mostly on the likes of HAL on a regular basis.

It was interesting, but they sure didn't show much of the interior.

I believe that the ship has its own web site with a virtual tour.

And CC ran a very interesting blog on the Oasis by Captain Wright during her delivery voyage across the Atlantic.

I believe that the ship has its own web site with a virtual tour.

And CC ran a very interesting blog on the Oasis by Captain Wright during her delivery voyage across the Atlantic.

Thanks Bob. I've seen a lot of the pictures of the ship, but as those types of specials are 50% for tech geeks and 50% a PR piece by the line (let's be honest here) you would think they would have showed off the rooms, interiors, etc a little more.

Thanks Bob. I've seen a lot of the pictures of the ship, but as those types of specials are 50% for tech geeks and 50% a PR piece by the line (let's be honest here) you would think they would have showed off the rooms, interiors, etc a little more.

Agreed. But they would need to expand that show to an additional hour to do it justice.

Well, the ship does seem to try to 'have-it-all' re: activities. But they don't have everything that some other ships have....like a platform in the stern to launch jet-skis, kayaks, etc. Or the self-leveling pool tables found on some of their own Company ships. Or the bowling alleys that some NCL ships have...etc.

Missed this post yesterday so I'll have to watch for a rerun ... love to see it. I would love to take a 3 or 4 nighter on Oasis just to see what it's like. Not my cup of tea ... too big. Still, it fascinates me.

But they're going to have to lower the prices big time before I would consider even a mini-cruise.

I stayed up too late to watch what otherwise should have been a Modern Marvels or Building Things Bigger show. Clearly RCCL and NatGeo rushed this production and really didn't have time to get good footage on an actual sailing.

I would have thought NatGeo producers would have wanted to emphasize ship board life, the economics of a large ship (both for RCCL and ports), evolution of cruising as an industry and a social phenomenom, things like that.

Personally kind of disappointed in the show.:(

Dennis

I stayed up too late to watch what otherwise should have been a Modern Marvels or Building Things Bigger show. Clearly RCCL and NatGeo rushed this production and really didn't have time to get good footage on an actual sailing.

I would have thought NatGeo producers would have wanted to emphasize ship board life, the economics of a large ship (both for RCCL and ports), evolution of cruising as an industry and a social phenomenom, things like that.

Personally kind of disappointed in the show.:(

Dennis

You probably would like the show on the business side of the cruise industry that has aired a few times on CNBC.

Archived