cruise with dog

fl9606

I've been on a cruise with two seeing eye dogs - a shephard and a lab. They were at the table next to ours in the MDR and we encountered them many times in the elevators. Beautifully behaved animals. They have a plot of "lawn" for them on one of the lower decks. Needless to say, they not only must be certified but must have all of the appropriate vaccinations, etc. This must all be cleared in advance with the cruiseline (you can't just show up with one at embarkation). In addition, there may be some ports where they would not be permitted off the ship.

For those who say they wouldn't want to occupy a cabin that had housed a service dog, bear in mind that they stay in hotel rooms as well.

I've been on a cruise with two seeing eye dogs - a shephard and a lab. They were at the table next to ours in the MDR and we encountered them many times in the elevators. Beautifully behaved animals. They have a plot of "lawn" for them on one of the lower decks. Needless to say, they not only must be certified but must have all of the appropriate vaccinations, etc. This must all be cleared in advance with the cruiseline (you can't just show up with one at embarkation). In addition, there may be some ports where they would not be permitted off the ship.

For those who say they wouldn't want to occupy a cabin that had housed a service dog, bear in mind that they stay in hotel rooms as well.

Thank you.

For anyone who is interested in what is involved in cruising with genuine service dog, there is a lengthy and very informative thread on the Disabled Cruise Travel board. The thread is called "Cruising with a Service Dog - everything you ever wanted to know." The people on that thread who have genuine service dogs are responsible owners, supportive of each other, and just as frustrated as other cruisers with people who, for frivolous reasons, try to pass off their dogs as service dogs .

Wow, this is a very interesting thread. We have been doing a great deal of research and are considering getting a psychiatric service dog for our daughter; she is 20 and has developmental delays as well as mental health issues. I've been surprised to learn about all the tasks these dogs can be trained to do (and, yes, there is a rigorous, formal training process for PSD's, although it's very different process than getting a seeing-eye dog or a dog trained to assist the hearing-impaired.)

The skepticism and cynicism (and downright rudeness) displayed here have opened my eyes to the attitudes we're likely to encounter if/when we do obtain a PSD. It's a shame that some people would scoff and sneer about something that could truly be a lifesaver for a person with a disability..........they'd rather mock and assume that the person just has an attachment to a pet than understand and accept that people respond to different types of therapy - pills don't fix everything.

Before the flames begin, yes, I understand that there are those who would take advantage, it's already been pointed out that there are many of them, but there are also legitimate examples..........maybe someone should have asked the op to explain further instead of immediately mocking the post.

I think there are a whole lot of uneducated people who have no idea what a service animal is...and isn't.

One of our students has a support dog (unfortunately she doesn't come to school :() and we had the wonderful opportunity to go to the ceremony where the dog was presented to him. There were probably 20 dogs at the ceremony, plus more puppies being presented to the trainers as they were handing over the service dogs to their new "owners". It was one of the most beautiful, tearful events I've ever attended in my life.

Our adaptive PE teacher also brings a service dog to PE classes and he "visits" the kids, calming many of them. He's the most loving. luscious dog I've ever known.

Service animals are not just for seeing eyes. They can also help with seizure disorders, anxiety and hearing. Just as a disability is not always visually obvious, the need for a service animal is not always obvious to some. I saw what it takes a lot to obtain a service dog, they are not just handed out to people requesting them. Our student had to go through interviews, training (2 weeks on site with the dog handler, Mom) and a bunch of paper work. The process took months and wasn't simple.

Good luck with your service animal, it is a beautiful event and will make such a difference in your lives :)

Of course a genuinely necessary (and genuinely trained) service animal - be it a seeing-eye or psychiatric support animal - should be allowed on board. Hopefully the cruise industry will take such reasonable steps to insure that ships are not over-run by pets whose owner simply want (rather than need) to have them along. Sadly, there are plenty of doctors who will sign almost anything to satisfy a demanding patient, so a fair amount of objective scrutiny should be applied -- to establish valid need.

One does wonder, however, how many psychiatrically needy passengers can be accomodated on a ship before they (and their service animals) seriously negatively impact (and possibly endanger) their fellow passengers.

I do understand that a true psychiatric service dog and an emotional support therapy dog are totally different things............but I felt that the op possibly had stated it that way because of people's automatic reaction to the word "psychiatric" - people have been trained by media/society to think Hannibal Lector or someone naked and swinging on the chandeliers whenever that word is mentioned. I did notice that he/she had not commented again, so I'm not sure what that means - either the snarkiness of the initial responses made a sincere question into a joke, or he/she really was NOT talking about a legitimate service animal..........?

Wow, this is a very interesting thread. We have been doing a great deal of research and are considering getting a psychiatric service dog for our daughter; she is 20 and has developmental delays as well as mental health issues. I've been surprised to learn about all the tasks these dogs can be trained to do (and, yes, there is a rigorous, formal training process for PSD's, although it's very different process than getting a seeing-eye dog or a dog trained to assist the hearing-impaired.)

The skepticism and cynicism (and downright rudeness) displayed here have opened my eyes to the attitudes we're likely to encounter if/when we do obtain a PSD. It's a shame that some people would scoff and sneer about something that could truly be a lifesaver for a person with a disability..........they'd rather mock and assume that the person just has an attachment to a pet than understand and accept that people respond to different types of therapy - pills don't fix everything.

Before the flames begin, yes, I understand that there are those who would take advantage, it's already been pointed out that there are many of them, but there are also legitimate examples..........maybe someone should have asked the op to explain further instead of immediately mocking the post.

There are people here who seem to do nothing more than to stir the pot. If you say I like suits and ties at dinner, they want to wear shorts and tees. If you like a balcony, they criticize because all you need is a place to flop. If you try to find ways to economize, they think you need to just stay home. It's truly incredible how many unhelpful and downright condescending posts there are here.

There was a passenger onboard our last cruise with her "service" animal ... she called it her Anxiety Savior.

Wouldn't have been so bad if she had not dressed the little dog in dresses and tutus and whatever other frilly nonsense, and cooed and doted on it as one mjight with a traditional companion animal. Well, then she let it run loose thruout the corridors and in/out of the elvators, and perched her "service" animal/pet on barstools with its slobbering face right on the bar. None of this being how a service animal normally is treated and handled.

Yes, when I returned, I called the cruiseline's home office accessibility department, as well as customer service ... and learned that there are many out there taking advantage of the accessibility provisions and/or laws that govern handicap accommodations.

Truthfully, cruiselines should require more than just a note from one's doctor to bring along the family pet.

I agree completely! A truly certified "Service Animal" should be accompanied by the CERTIFICATION of that animal, which reflects its training and authentic certification. This should automatically include any necessary vaccinations. Also, the Service Animal should be wearing a vest, designating it as a true Service Animal. There are those who truly need these wonderful trained animals, and then there are those who just take advantage.

....or afraid to post again.

If you check their activity, they were logged in around 2PM today.

I thought of that as well but it would be the perfect opportunity to clarify any misconceptions anyone might have about their particular needs. They would not have to go into specific details about the personal aspects but they could explain if their dog is a truly certified service animal.

Colomom, the dog must already be trained to use a doggie pad. If he/she is not trained to use it, you can't expect the habit to change suddenly on a cruise. I would expect the dog to pee on the balcony floor unless that pad is the same size as the balcony itself. I am sure any passenger who is sitting on an adjacent balcony would not want to see it.

I think blind, deaf, and wheelchair-bound people should be accomodated in other ways. That is certainly possible. Technology allows those people to not need service animals. Maybe a policy to require service dog owners to travel with a human companion, not an exception to allow the dog onboard, would be sufficient. There are just too many things that can go wrong if any dog is allowed onboard. If you need a domestic animal to keep your emotions under control, why don't you take medication for your disability?

Please elaborate about the technology. Honestly though, unless you know exactly how blind, deaf, and wheelchair-bound people (or as you say, "those people") who have service dogs/animals could be equally accomodated by specific technology that would allow a comparable quality of life, I don't know how you can make such a statement.

There are many single people who have service animals and who travel alone. You would require them to travel with another person? In your mind that is sufficient. How would you like being treated in that way? One of the points of having service animals is to allow independence. The fact is that allowing service animals to travel, including on cruise ships, is not an "exception." It's in the law for good reason.

I have to ask if you know anyone who actually relies on a true service animal? Do you tell them that they should get "technology" instead? Do you tell them that they should have a person to take care of them instead? Do you have any idea how much a trained service animal can improve someone's life?

Certainly there are people who try to abuse the regulations and it seems that many get away with it. I don't see why the cruise lines and airlines don't require all passengers who wish to travel with a "service" animal to prove it with the appropriate paperwork, as well as the appropriate "uniform" on their companion. I mean, I love our dog and cat tremendously and don't like to be away from them, and they certainly give love and emotional support in return. But they are not service animals and should never be allowed anywhere that regular pets are not allowed.

I thought of that as well but it would be the perfect opportunity to clarify any misconceptions anyone might have about their particular needs. They would not have to go into specific details about the personal aspects but they could explain if their dog is a truly certified service animal.

I thought of that too. It's hard to tell from the OP because it says "emotional support therapy service dog," which could mean a registered service animal, but it isn't specific. Frankly, I don't know how such animals are trained and registered, and who qualifies, but I also don't assume that such animals do not exist.

Best bet is to read the cruise line's websites. I'm pretty sure that all of them allow registered service animals with adequate notice, required paperwork, and the understanding that service animals are trained with things such as potty pads, grass pads, etc. Plus, the potential passenger must understand that there are countries that not only do not allow service animals to come ashore (and aren't required to), but also a few that don't even allow them to leave their cabins during the port stay. I have a recollection where a member here was describing one port with laws so strict that her service dog (and, of course, she herself) had to remain in the cabin during the port stop.

Actually, it's a toughie in some ways because there are people like my father who are so highly allergic to animal dander that he wouldn't be able to stay in a cabin where an animal had cruised the previous week. I don't know what the cruise lines do to clean the cabin, but it had better be very thorough.

beachchick

The problem is there are few blind people and lots of people with emotional issues. So I can understand allowing service dogs for blind people but not for "emotional" problems because that's too many people.

Also you can't compare the training a guide dog for the blind gets to anything else. I used to take my Belgian to hospitals as an animal assisted therapy dog, but that training (2 hours per week for 12 weeks) is nothing compared to a guide dog for the blind (2 years full time + refresher courses).

Op - Please do not take this as minimizing your concern, because I have no idea what you mean by "emotional support." If it's a legitimate, clinically diagnosed problem, so be it. But if it's just that you want your dog with you.....no way.

I am totally against it. Too many people are inconsiderate and think their little furry friends are welcome by everyone. They are not.

Here's a pretty good article about emotional support dogs. http://www.servicedogcentral.org/content/node/256

They DO NOT qualify for ADA (which would mean they could go on the ship). They MAY qualify to fly in the cabin of an airliner or be allowed in "no pet" housing.

There is a large difference between emotional support dogs and a psychiatric service dog (which is actually called a service dog). http://www.servicedogcentral.org/content/node/76

Thanks for the wonderful links.

Just wondering whether you meant the emotional support dogs would "not" qualify to go on the ship or as you posted they "would" qualify to go?

Thanks.

Here's a pretty good article about emotional support dogs. http://www.servicedogcentral.org/content/node/256

They DO NOT qualify for ADA (which would mean they could go on the ship). They MAY qualify to fly in the cabin of an airliner or be allowed in "no pet" housing.

There is a large difference between emotional support dogs and a psychiatric service dog (which is actually called a service dog). http://www.servicedogcentral.org/content/node/76

Thanks for the wonderful links.

Just wondering whether you meant the emotional support dogs would "not" qualify to go on the ship or as you posted they "would" qualify to go?

Thanks.

Sorry about that.

Per ADA rules, the dog would NOT qualify to go on the ship. Now, would the cruise line allow the dog with a note from the Doctor? Probably

I appreciate the good discussion that has followed the first few snarky posts! Lots of information and things to think about. I enjoy the opportunity to get perspective from the many different people on these boards.

I remain mystified by the op's not returning!

Archived