Help me choose a cruise line

When I asked people in the Italy forum which places can be put off for a later trip to the Mediterranean, instead of naming Italian cities, people said, "Crystal Serenity." Reason being they think it is better to take a port-intensive cruise than one that emphasizes an activity-filled luxury experience with mostly old people onboard. After reading about that from more than one poster and there are few children on Mediterranean cruises anyway because of the cost, I wondered if I made a big mistake by ruling out all premium ships and less-expensive luxury ships for my first cruise. Help me decide what I should do to select a ship and an itinerary that is more within my limited budget without sacrificing a luxury experience onboard. FYI, I will not travel during the summer or winter because of the weather.

For luxury cruise lines you certainly could look also at Regent, Seabourn and Silversea.

But let me give you a suggestion based on the budget.

If you want a nice experience but not at the luxury criuse line prices consider a cruise on Oceania or Azamara.

These are two premium cruise lines and while there are other cruise lines that are mentioned in the premium category these two are at the high end of the premium category.

Oceania seems to offer some very good itineraries in Italy that might give you more Italy than Azamara does but look at both.

Keith

Keith

When I asked people in the Italy forum which places can be put off for a later trip to the Mediterranean, instead of naming Italian cities, people said, "Crystal Serenity." Reason being they think it is better to take a port-intensive cruise than one that emphasizes an activity-filled luxury experience with mostly old people onboard.

Just to clarify, I think you meant to say, "When I asked people in the Italy forum which places can be put off for a later trip to the Mediterranean, instead of naming Italian cities, people said, to consider ships other than "Crystal Serenity".

Also, I don't think anyone in that thread said anything about "old people on board", although it is a comment I've read in some of your posts on other threads.:confused:

link to the thread that you are referring to above: click here

Current choices are endless. Will your budget be $100 a day or luxury at say $400 a day? Short or longer? Where do you want to go? Where do you want to leave from? What ports interest you? Casual or more formal in food or dress? Party till you drop or relaxing? Your age group? By yourself or with a group? Reply with details.

Current choices are endless. Will your budget be $100 a day or luxury at say $400 a day? Short or longer? Where do you want to go? Where do you want to leave from? What ports interest you? Casual or more formal in food or dress? Party till you drop or relaxing? Your age group? By yourself or with a group? Reply with details.

I want a variety of enrichment, entertainment, food, and services on a pretty ship with a swimming pool, hot tub, and spa that never seems too crowded. Fellow passengers on the ship should be mature adults, not a bunch of families and partiers. I like formal food and dress, but would have to buy new dresses for that. I want to be in a group at dinner but not in my suite. I am 33 but like old people. For me relaxing means petting a cat at home, not sitting on a lounge chair near water. That is why I call myself Active Traveler.

I want a variety of enrichment, entertainment, food, and services on a pretty ship with a swimming pool, hot tub, and spa that never seems too crowded. Fellow passengers on the ship should be mature adults, not a bunch of families and partiers. I like formal food and dress, but would have to buy new dresses for that. I want to be in a group at dinner but not in my suite. I am 33 but like old people. For me relaxing means petting a cat at home, not sitting on a lounge chair near water. That is why I call myself Active Traveler.

The irony is that you are describing Crystal.

The premium lines that I mentioned have far less enrichment than Crystal and are not as formal.

I think your original inclination for Crystal was a wise choice based on what you have said.

Keith

Even the premium mass market lines will be crowded and have a lot of kids on board. Heck, Crystal is attracting more and more kids on their European cruises. They've been known to have as many as 100 or more kids on board during the summer, and on ships as small as Crystal, that's a lot of kids.

You're not going to get the enrichment like you would on Crystal on any other line. You won't find that on Seabourn or Silversea or Regent. You won't find what Crystal has on Azamara or Oceania. You say you want formal, but neither Azamara or Oceania has formal nights, only country club casual.

You will probably be among the youngest on Crystal, but not the youngest. All the luxury lines have a older demographic. Sounds like you're looking for nirvana, and that just doesn't exist on any cruise ship. You're either going to have a younger crowd, lots of kids, no enrichment, no formal nights, an older demographic. No cruise is perfect and will provide every single thing you want.

BUT, for me, if I wanted to save a bit of money and still enjoy a great ship with very good food and excellent service, I'd go with one of the S Class ships of Celebrity. Do what I do, don't dine in the main dining room, put out the cash for their specialty restaurants every night, and you'll come as close to Crystal dining without actually paying for the entire Crystal cruise.

...might I suggest that you take a serious look at Oceania. My wife and I are truly hooked on them, we're currently in the planning stages for our next western Mediterranean cruise with them, after you've experienced Oceania its quite hard to go back to the "main stream" cruise lines - and - Oceania's prices are actually quite affordable when you compare them to the luxury lines...;)

cheers,

The Imagineer

When I asked people in the Italy forum which places can be put off for a later trip to the Mediterranean, instead of naming Italian cities, people said, "Crystal Serenity." Reason being they think it is better to take a port-intensive cruise than one that emphasizes an activity-filled luxury experience with mostly old people onboard. After reading about that from more than one poster and there are few children on Mediterranean cruises anyway because of the cost, I wondered if I made a big mistake by ruling out all premium ships and less-expensive luxury ships for my first cruise. Help me decide what I should do to select a ship and an itinerary that is more within my limited budget without sacrificing a luxury experience onboard. FYI, I will not travel during the summer or winter because of the weather.

I need to figure out how to cut some cities out of my pre-cruise itinerary and days off of my vacation. Of course, that is much easier said than done. How can I select places to see later instead of on my first trip to Italy? I need help with choosing cities to visit now and cities to visit later because obviously the money is not there for a monthlong trip to Europe. If I had $15,000 I would make the mistake of trying to see and do everything at the same time because this is the hardest part of vacation planning when you have not been there before. As it is, I can't afford a weeklong Italy tour from Venice to Rome and then two weeks on the Crystal Serenity. Any and all ideas are appreciated.

She has limited funds and has stated in yet another thread that she will probably be traveling solo. She just keeps starting new threads in the hope of finding someone who will give her the magic answers. The reason she was told to think about other cruise lines is pure and simple - the cost. If you can't afford $15,000 then I don't see how she can afford a solo two week cruise on Crystal, excursions, tips etc, plus another week on land no matter how many different ways she asks. If you can't afford it, you can't afford it. Cutting out a city here or there, getting a Capital One credit card etc will still not make you able to afford it.

She has limited funds and has stated in yet another thread that she will probably be traveling solo. She just keeps starting new threads in the hope of finding someone who will give her the magic answers. The reason she was told to think about other cruise lines is pure and simple - the cost. If you can't afford $15,000 then I don't see how she can afford a solo two week cruise on Crystal, excursions, tips etc, plus another week on land no matter how many different ways she asks. If you can't afford it, you can't afford it. Cutting out a city here or there, getting a Capital One credit card etc will still not make you able to afford it.

That kind of a cruise, and a week on land, everything included, would approximately cost $30,000 to $40,000... Wishing upon a star... My cruising options are severely limited because of budget, but I did manage to book a 14-day cruise to Hawaii, and booked an obstructed view (got an unobstructed) on Princess and am not quite so picky! Believe me, I am extremely happy about it, and am considering the Panama Canal for next year. This is with very limited funds. So, if the OP really wants to cruise on a $15,000 budget on a luxury line, I would tell her to: either book the cruise, or that would buy her a nice land vacation... (of course including the $700+ airfare). I guess she wants her cake and eat it too. If you are on a limited budget, just be realistic and do one thing, but do it well!

Forgot this one!

I thought I had to wait for the full schedule with prices to be released to reserve a cabin. I already have decided to book a PH suite. Other Cruise Critic members endorsed deck 10, so I probably will want that too. It looks better to get one closer to aft than forward if it is not smack in the middle. With every possible specification except side of the ship, obviously I want to book it almost immediately after learning the Mediterranean agenda. That is why I am trying to learn everything before the itineraries are relased.

With Crystal’s single supplement being as little as 25% vs. the 100% charged by Celebrity, Princess, Azamara and Oceania, Crystal can be a better value for a solo traveler. This is especial true if the cruise you are looking at has free air (or the air credit) and $500 to $1,000 credit for shore excursions or onboard spending. Crystal also has gentlemen hosts if you are interested in having a partner for dancing.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCCL - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, Westerdam ‘09 & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ’07

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

Crystal – Serenity ‘09

Penthouse

With Verandah

See Room Layout »

(PH) Deck 11, Deck 10

Brochure Fare $31,940

2-for-1 Fare Per Person $15,970

Crystal Society Saves $750

Crystal Society savings are per person based on double occupancy.

For a 12 day Italian riviera cruise. This is more then her complete budget even if she was just charged the 2 or 1 fare. Now you have to add excursions etc. She stated elsewhere she will also have to buy new clothes and she doesn't have formal wear. She simply can't afford her dream vacation based on what she has stated on all her different threads.

Penthouse

With Verandah

See Room Layout »

(PH) Deck 11, Deck 10

Brochure Fare $31,940

2-for-1 Fare Per Person $15,970

Crystal Society Saves $750

Crystal Society savings are per person based on double occupancy.

For a 12 day Italian riviera cruise. This is more then her complete budget even if she was just charged the 2 or 1 fare. Now you have to add excursions etc. She stated elsewhere she will also have to buy new clothes and she doesn't have formal wear. She simply can't afford her dream vacation based on what she has stated on all her different threads.

I am not sure I understand this.

The OP asked for suggestions for non-luxury cruise lines given the costs of the luxury lines. So, to rehash the costs of the luxury line does not add any value. I am sure she is well aware of the price for a Crystal Cruise.

Keith

I am not sure I understand this.

The OP asked for suggestions for non-luxury cruise lines given the costs of the luxury lines. So, to rehash the costs of the luxury line does not add any value. I am sure she is well aware of the price for a Crystal Cruise.

Keith

In her other threads she states over and over again that she only wants a luxury line and seemed upset that it was suggested she choose another line. She was given other options but instead chose to come to this forum to ask here. I guess its time for me to stop reading her many posts because she simply doesn't want to hear what people are saying and it's bringing out the worst in me.

In her other threads she states over and over again that she only wants a luxury line and seemed upset that it was suggested she choose another line. She was given other options but instead chose to come to this forum to ask here. I guess its time for me to stop reading her many posts because she simply doesn't want to hear what people are saying and it's bringing out the worst in me.

I was like a first-time home buyer who only wants to live in a big house in California. All I could think was, "If I am going to spend thousands of dollars on a cruise, I should just do what I want and not worry about the cost." Big mistake on my part, obviously. Now I finally realize that is unrealistic in 2012 and I must settle for a less-expensive line first if I am going to cruise only 22-23 months from now. I also accept the fact that a premium cruise is good enough for my first one if I choose the right ship and itinerary. Than said, I am now ready to stop thinking my first cruise must be on a luxury cruise ship. It must be at least four ribbons on Cruise Critic's reviews, however, or I will worry about service, food, activities, and entertainment being poor quality.

Archived