bigger passenger

closure

FYI seat belt extenders on airlines. I have just posted this under another thread but felt others may not see this :

I just wanted to share an experience with a seat belt extender. I am a larger sized lady and asked for the seat by the window for more leg room as well. To my surprise and perhaps a wee bit of embarassment, FAA regulations ( well that was what I was told - Alaska Airlines) state that anyone using an extender on their belt cannot sit in those seats due to the lenght of strap that may hang down and be a tripping hazard during evacuation procedures. Needless to say it took some shuffling around of several passengers to re seat myself and my hubby. Not very nice that I lost all that extra leg room given that I am almost 6 feet tall ! but for comfort I need the extender .

FYI seat belt extenders on airlines. I have just posted this under another thread but felt others may not see this :

I just wanted to share an experience with a seat belt extender. I am a larger sized lady and asked for the seat by the window for more leg room as well. To my surprise and perhaps a wee bit of embarassment, FAA regulations ( well that was what I was told - Alaska Airlines) state that anyone using an extender on their belt cannot sit in those seats due to the lenght of strap that may hang down and be a tripping hazard during evacuation procedures. Needless to say it took some shuffling around of several passengers to re seat myself and my hubby. Not very nice that I lost all that extra leg room given that I am almost 6 feet tall ! but for comfort I need the extender .

was this on an exit row?? I can understand if it was on an exit row as the extra strap would be a tripping hazard but i've never seen that on any airline website. I've only seen that you have to be physically capable of performing emergency evacuation proceedures to book a seat on an exit row.

If it was just a regular row and not being able to sit by the window, the tripping hazard makes no sense as no one would be passing by. I sit by the window all the time.

Thanks for the heads up. It's good to know for anyone wanting to the seats you did for the extra leg room. I'm sorry you had to play musical chairs on the plane. I've had to do that once when our TA booked us in a bulkhead seat. Sure, she thought she'd give us more legroom, but forgot the armrests are stationary on bulkhead rows. It was awefully embarrasing to find some folks willing to switch places with us.

was this on an exit row?? I can understand if it was on an exit row as the extra strap would be a tripping hazard but i've never seen that on any airline website. I've only seen that you have to be physically capable of performing emergency evacuation proceedures to book a seat on an exit row.

If it was just a regular row and not being able to sit by the window, the tripping hazard makes no sense as no one would be passing by. I sit by the window all the time.

Thanks for the heads up. It's good to know for anyone wanting to the seats you did for the extra leg room. I'm sorry you had to play musical chairs on the plane. I've had to do that once when our TA booked us in a bulkhead seat. Sure, she thought she'd give us more legroom, but forgot the armrests are stationary on bulkhead rows. It was awefully embarrasing to find some folks willing to switch places with us.

Oops...yes it was an exit row...that had lots and lots of leg room of course ! Seems I am doomed to sit squished and uncomfortable on most flights until such time as we win the lottery and we can fly first class...lol. It does make the idea of a long flight to get anywhere for a cruise a bit of a barrier ! I do not feel I would be very comfortable for too long a flight.

yeah it sucks being wedged into a regular row. Since we put the xtra seat in between the two of us, i will sometimes turn and lean against the window. that allows me to partially stretch out my legs in the middle. Not the best solution but it's better than nothing.

The part i hate is when the person in front of you lays their seat back. It's bad enough when you're a normal size but when you're heavy, their head pretty much nestles in my cleavage. Normally, i have to date a guy a few times before they get that priviledge lolol.

Oops...yes it was an exit row...that had lots and lots of leg room of course ! Seems I am doomed to sit squished and uncomfortable on most flights until such time as we win the lottery and we can fly first class...lol. It does make the idea of a long flight to get anywhere for a cruise a bit of a barrier ! I do not feel I would be very comfortable for too long a flight.

Certainly understand the issue of the extender possibly being a trip hazard in the unlikely event of an emergency. It appears that having to request an extender is what drew attention to you having to be moved. I'm not personally endorsing this idea but have you considered purchasing and traveling with your own seat belt extender ? This way you don't have to ask the flight attendents and bring attention to the matter ? Extenders can be purchased on line. There are 4 different extenders depending on the airline.

Model AUnited®, American®, Northwest®, Delta®, Continental®, TWA®, Alaska® and most other major airlines worldwide.

Model BSouthwest®

Model CAlaska® airlines, some older airliners, smaller commuter aircraft, private jets, private planes, etc.

Model DMany Grumman Gulfstreams®, Cessna Citations®, smaller commuter aircraft, private jets, private planes, helicopters, etc.

Edited by xxoocruiser

I hate the seats being tipped back on planes also! I am a large person, but even if I wasn't, I don't think airline seats should be able to recline. There is so little space as it is, that the recline position should no longer be an option on planes. It does not go back far enough to really make any difference in someone's comfort who is in the reclining seat, and really makes those behind it so uncomfortable!

Certainly understand the issue of the extender possibly being a trip hazard in the unlikely event of an emergency. It appears that having to request an extender is what drew attention to you having to be moved. I'm not personally endorsing this idea but have you considered purchasing and traveling with your own seat belt extender ? This way you don't have to ask the flight attendents and bring attention to the matter ? Extenders can be purchased on line. There are 4 different extenders depending on the airline.

Model AUnited®, American®, Northwest®, Delta®, Continental®, TWA®, Alaska® and most other major airlines worldwide.

Model BSouthwest®

Model CAlaska® airlines, some older airliners, smaller commuter aircraft, private jets, private planes, etc.

Model DMany Grumman Gulfstreams®, Cessna Citations®, smaller commuter aircraft, private jets, private planes, helicopters, etc.

We got ours on Ebay nice to have our own:)

i've considered buying an extender. I'm just worried that the airline won't accept the use of it, which will cause a bigger scene than just asking for an extender in the first place.

But man it sure would be nice. Part of the stress in flying for me is whether there will be one there for me to use, or that i have to wait until their safety demonstration is over then have the flight attendant openly hand it to me while it's dangling in the air for all to see.

yeah, i'm a worry wart and easily embarassed lolol.

I guess they're not that expensive to buy so why not?

i've considered buying an extender. I'm just worried that the airline won't accept the use of it, which will cause a bigger scene than just asking for an extender in the first place.

But man it sure would be nice. Part of the stress in flying for me is whether there will be one there for me to use, or that i have to wait until their safety demonstration is over then have the flight attendant openly hand it to me while it's dangling in the air for all to see.

We never had any problems we keep it in our carry on and then take it out before we put it in the overhead it's always in a outside pocket that we just open and grab it and as soon as we land we take it off never had a problem with anyone saying anything

Being one of those women you so lovely describe, I actually find packing very easy. Probably because I traveled 28 weeks a year internationally for work and had to learn how to pack efficiently . I generally use only a 22" carry on and a tote. And yes I dress up for Formal nights. Any laundry is usually only to hand wash undergarments if needed. The trick is to bring clothing that is interchangable and that can be dressed up or down . My rules for me are :

• Every item must be able to be worn with at least with 2 other items . Only exception is my formal outfit... which by the way I wear the same thing both nights with different accessories.
  • What I wear on the plane there is what gets worn home.
  • What I wear for Causal night dinners is what gets worn the next day in port.
  • Everything does double duty or it doesn't get packed. I pack in layers and roll items.
  • Only bring 3 pairs of shoes. 1 Dress, 1 comfortable walking shoe for tours and 1 comfortable flat that can be worn both casual or dress. One pair is worn on the plane and 2 get packed. I use every inch of packing space , even stuffing things in the shoes.

My friend that cruises with me is amazed at how I pack. She calls my packing a magic act as I keep pulling things out and don't even wear some of it. BTW she's very tiny and brings 2 pieces of luggage.

Re: Hawaii - you won't have any problem getting MuMu's your size. Or any other clothing for that matter.

That packing list sounds great, but what about packing for Alaska (in a carry on)? How do you keep the bag light enough for carry on?

That packing list sounds great, but what about packing for Alaska (in a carry on)? How do you keep the bag light enough for carry on?

Easy. If you are taking a jacket with you for your Alaska appropriate layering project, wear it rather than pack it, then put it into the overhead or the planes' coat closet. Your teeshirts, sweatshirt and a light fleece all roll nicely and fit into your bag. You only need two pair of footwear...one pair for aboard ship and a waterproofed pair of crosstrainers or the like for on shore. Wear the crosstrainers and pack the other pair. If you are taking a pair of jeans, wear them when traveling. For formalwear, take something that can be rolled up (I generally wear a polyester blend that can be machine washed when I get home and just steamed out in the shower room while on the ship to get rid of wrinkles). For the rest of it, play mix and match so that you can minmize the numbers of shirts and slacks that you need to take with you, and then just be careful when dining in an attempt to avoid spills.

Trust me, it works.

In addition to what SeatleCruiseLover posted, when I traveled to Alaska, I used those special bags that compress the air out to better use luggage space. So it fit into a carryon. These bags work pretty good. If anything gets slighting wrinkled just hung them in the bathroom while showering and the wrinkes fall out.

There's several different sizes and brands that can be purchased over the internet. As well as brick and motor retail stores. Here's a link to one site just for reference : http://www.magellans.com/store/Packing_Organizers___Travel_Pouches___PocketsLP417?Args=

In addition to what SeatleCruiseLover posted, when I traveled to Alaska, I used those special bags that compress the air out to better use luggage space. So it fit into a carryon. These bags work pretty good. If anything gets slighting wrinkled just hung them in the bathroom while showering and the wrinkes fall out.

There's several different sizes and brands that can be purchased over the internet. As well as brick and motor retail stores. Here's a link to one site just for reference : http://www.magellans.com/store/Packing_Organizers___Travel_Pouches___PocketsLP417?Args=

how did you re-seal them for the trip home? we're taking an airmattress with a pump so we can use our pump in reverse, but for those not having one, what would you use?

Space bags reduce size of items but not weight. It is very easy to make a suitcase too heavy.

Air mattress?

that is true, gives more room but you have to watch the weight.

As for air mattress, i have a bad back and cannot sleep on a regular mattress, especially the harder ones you find in hotels and cruise ships. We have one we use for travelling that compacts nicely. By using space bags, it allows us to bring the air mattress without needing extra luggage.

I bought a seat belt extender online for about $7.00 (ebay) about 5 years ago. I hadn't been on a plane in a long time but I just knew I might need one and didn't want to ask. All I can say is thank-goodness I did!!

The only thing that bothered was the fact that I was assigned to literally sit between a young couple and before we even sat down, all three of us knew it would be a problem. My friend and Aunt noticed and as I went to go sit with my friend who had an empty seat next to her - the flight attendant said I couldn't sit with her because I think it was the emergency exits. I don't really know why I couldn't sit with her but I can tell you I was a bit embarassed because I was the only one standing with everyone looking and she was telling me I couldn't sit there and it was obvious it was because of my size.

I didn't ask for a seat belt extender so I pulled mine out and it fit perfectly, nobody said anything about it and I'm glad I brought it because there is no way the regular seatbelt on the plane would have fit.

Thanks to all of yall for your very positive comments! My DH and I are both fluffy and we love to cruise! DH is not in the best of health, but I thank God every day for the time we have together and to be able to take our cruises. We could care less what people think, we have made friends with quite a few people on the ships, they like us for who we are, NOT for our looks! My advice to all is to go on your vacation, have a wonderful time and don't worry about the other people. Keep a smile on your face, be friendly and enjoy your time!

Thanks to all of yall for your very positive comments! My DH and I are both fluffy and we love to cruise! DH is not in the best of health, but I thank God every day for the time we have together and to be able to take our cruises. We could care less what people think, we have made friends with quite a few people on the ships, they like us for who we are, NOT for our looks! My advice to all is to go on your vacation, have a wonderful time and don't worry about the other people. Keep a smile on your face, be friendly and enjoy your time!

Right on!!!

Best of luck to you and your hubby. Everyday is a gift.

Happy cruising! :)

how did you re-seal them for the trip home? we're taking an airmattress with a pump so we can use our pump in reverse, but for those not having one, what would you use?

Travel packing bags such as the ones I previously mentioned, do not require a pump to compress the air out of the bag. You pack , seal the zip lock top and roll to push the air out. They are totally reusuable as long as you haven't ripped it or puched a hole in it. No air vacuum pump is required.

Edited by xxoocruiser

As long as you purchase extenders that are FAA approved,marked accordingly and for the airline your traveling on , you will not have a problem using them on the flight.

As long as you purchase extenders that are FAA approved,marked accordingly and for the airline your traveling on , you will not have a problem using them on the flight.

I think i'll take the plunge and buy one. Will have to send it to a friend's house though as they don't deliver outside the USA.

BTW, I finally booked my flights!! We're flying Continental to Miami. I'm totally not worried about that as their website expressly shows what rows have movable aisle armrests (almost all do). We've flown Continental before and i've always been treated well. Flying home is a different story. We're flying Delta. It took 3 phone calls with 3 separate ppl to even get confirmation that the armrests between the seats are movable. However on the flight we're on, NO aisle armrests move. So, i'll have to try and heave myself over the fixed armrest. I can do it, but it won't be a pretty sight lolol. I just couldn't resist the price. Going with Delta over Continental on our flight home saved us $300.

I think i'll take the plunge and buy one. Will have to send it to a friend's house though as they don't deliver outside the USA.

BTW, I finally booked my flights!! We're flying Continental to Miami. I'm totally not worried about that as their website expressly shows what rows have movable aisle armrests (almost all do). We've flown Continental before and i've always been treated well. Flying home is a different story. We're flying Delta. It took 3 phone calls with 3 separate ppl to even get confirmation that the armrests between the seats are movable. However on the flight we're on, NO aisle armrests move. So, i'll have to try and heave myself over the fixed armrest. I can do it, but it won't be a pretty sight lolol. I just couldn't resist the price. Going with Delta over Continental on our flight home saved us $300.

Not to be indelicate... but I'm afraid to fly overseas because of the in-flight bathroom situation. Are the facilities large enough to be used by us fluffy gals?... Thanks for your perspective on this! DH and I keep batting around plans for a UK trip, but I keep chickening out because of this issue. :p

Not to be indelicate... but I'm afraid to fly overseas because of the in-flight bathroom situation. Are the facilities large enough to be used by us fluffy gals?... Thanks for your perspective on this! DH and I keep batting around plans for a UK trip, but I keep chickening out because of this issue. :p

You will have to check with each individual airplane. On some of the larger newer planes, they have a wheelchair accessible bathroom., I would assume that if a wheelchair (even the small aisle wheelchairs found on airplanes) could manoeuver around in there, we could as well.

If you're going on an overseas flight, the planes are much larger and you do have better odds that you'll score a plane that has the accessible bathroom.

Otherwise, you're SOL, literally. That is one thing i panic about when flying. I make sure i visit the bathroom often all the way up to boarding time, then just hope and pray nothing kicks in while in flight. There is literally nothing i could do about it. Sure, hubby could borrow a blanket maybe and stand guard while i kept the door open, but that would not only stink up the entire cabin, it would mortify me. IF having the door open would even work! That's a tough call too. Hubby isnj't a big guy at all but he even has issues in the bathroom.

THankfully, due to the stress and panic, my waterworks tend to hang up an Out Of Order sign from the moment i board til the moment i get off the plane.

Edited by MissRabbit

I flew to Kenya last year (through Amsterdam) and never had an issue with an onboard bathroom. The planes large enough for cross-Atlantic flight normally will have accessible bathrooms. I really can't deal with the tiny lavatories on the small planes used in the US and was also very concerned about the long flights to Kenya. But no issues ... go to the UK and have a blast!!!

I am absolutely loving this topic. I have acromegaly, a form of gigantism. As an abnormal large person, I always have to get the seat belt extender and curse out the guy in front of me who reclines his seat. I seem to make due with the restrooms but walking up and down the aisles seems like an obstacle course. I can't tell you how many food carts have brused my elbows. And don't try to put down the tray, it doesn't fit over my stomach. When flying coast to coast, we deliberately take flights with stops to have lunch/dinner in comfort between flights. There is nothing that I can do about my size, I grew this way but it is not going to stop me from continuing to travel and really enjoy life. It only slows me down a bit. BIG hugs to you all who are living life to the fullest.