Oceania Upgrades and Increased Gratuities

kelly@

Mr. Aruba Sir,

I have had the pleasure of a "napkin menu" at a number of restaurants in Las Vegas. They were VERY concerned that I did not get white lint on my black trousers, so the white napkin was whisked away and a black napkin (or other dark color) substituted. This pretentiousness reminded me of a story I heard about one of my former company officers, who pitched a fit when his water glass dripped on his Italian silk suit in the company dining room. Thereafter, the water glasses were outfitted with little paper "skirts" to prevent such outrageousness in the future. That's what I'm talkin' about!:D

I have had the pleasure of a "napkin menu" at a number of restaurants in Las Vegas. They were VERY concerned that I did not get white lint on my black trousers, so the white napkin was whisked away and a black napkin (or other dark color) substituted.

Hmmm....based on your definition of a "napkin menu" above, Oceania already has it in place. This happened regularly to us while dining in Polo on our recent journey...we didn't think it pretentious, however. ;)

Kathleen

Our first cruise ever was with Oceania in 2008. I had choosen a TA from the suggestions on the Oceania site. Worse experience ever.

I asked if there would be any OBC's and she said "yes". When I asked how much she said she wouldn't know until after the final payment. This was our first cruise and we had never used a TA. Our OBC was $50 and there was no discount to the brochure fare. We were majorly naive. She also neglected to tell us that if we paid for our cruise several weeks earlier than the due date we would not incur the fuel surcharge so we also got hit for the upcharge. She never got back to us when we had a question.

The next three cruises on Oceania we used an online TA suggested by a friend. She is GREAT. She returns emails/phone calls pronto. She knows the industry very well. We always get prepaid gratuities and a nice discount from the brochure fare.

Great TA's are out there.

We're getting PPG's on next summers' cruise. We also referred two other couples to our TA for the same cruise. She said she would "take care of us" (meaning onboard perks) for the referrals. Hmmmm, if it's a cheese tray, I may be emailing you for your online TA's contact info! I think I still have your info from last summers' cruise.:o But then again, maybe I'll get a cheese menu with it and Aruba and WineGirl will have something else to laugh about.:D

IMO, it does not matter if you are paying the extra gratuity or your TA is. The fact that Oceania is apparently going to a "class system" is what is upsetting to me. Are some passengers going to be treated better than others as a result of this? We were considering Oceania -- however, if tipping is based upon the type of suite you occupy, we would prefer to spend our money elsewhere.

That was my point exactly. Those who are unhappy about being forced into using a local agent need to make their discontent known to those who can change that policy.

This is not an American restriction, or an Oceania restriction; let us put the blame where it belongs.

If the proper authorities are challenged often enough, perhaps change will be in the wind.

This is a cut from an email dated March 8th, 2010 from my Australian TA (which is a faily big agency) who is trying to get some changes implemented to try and at least come close to the prices offered by US TA either online or shop front based. The email was part of me transferring my booking with a US agent to them so the Australian TA could have a "live" case to use as an example to Oceania of the difference in pricing.

FYI the price difference was $1300.00 US per person on a 18 night cruise. Plus the US price included OBC of $200. To us that amount is almost (but not quiet) our airfares to the US or Europe to join a ship. Also Australians do not get the "free air" offers or allowance.

When booking with an Australian TA there is never OBC + you have as an addition amount Pre Paid Grats. I know that you have to pay the grats anyway BUT it is complusory to Pre Pay them in Australia.

"Oceania have informed me that there is a disclaimer informing prospective travellers that they must be US residents to book with a US based agency."

So where do you think the problem comes from???? And I don't just mean the Pre Paid Grats. I mean the price difference???

IMO, it does not matter if you are paying the extra gratuity or your TA is. The fact that Oceania is apparently going to a "class system" is what is upsetting to me.

Not sure what you are talking about :confused:

If it is about the gratuity rates ..if you have a butler you do pay a bit more in the gratuity for his service

It has been that way since I can remember with Oceania

Lyn

Not sure what you are talking about :confused:

If it is about the gratuity rates ..if you have a butler you do pay a bit more in the gratuity for his service

It has been that way since I can remember with Oceania

Lyn

Ever since the implementation of "prepaid gratuities", every cruise line that we have sailed has charged a higher per person gratuity to suite passengers.

This is a cut from an email dated March 8th, 2010 from my Australian TA (which is a faily big agency) who is trying to get some changes implemented to try and at least come close to the prices offered by US TA either on-line or shop front based. The email was part of me transferring my booking with a US agent to them so the Australian TA could have a "live" case to use as an example to Oceania of the difference in pricing.

FYI the price difference was $1300.00 US per person on a 18 night cruise. Plus the US price included OBC of $200. To us that amount is almost (but not quiet) our airfares to the US or Europe to join a ship. Also Australians do not get the "free air" offers or allowance.

When booking with an Australian TA there is never OBC + you have as an addition amount Pre Paid Grats. I know that you have to pay the grats anyway BUT it is compulsory to Pre Pay them in Australia.

"Oceania have informed me that there is a disclaimer informing prospective travelers that they must be US residents to book with a US based agency."

So where do you think the problem comes from???? And I don't just mean the Pre Paid Grats. I mean the price difference???

Rhohea-

That Australian Agency is being disingenuous.

As I understand the issue, the trade organization which governs Australian Travel Agents has directed that clients from down under (and I believe that this includes New Zealand) must book through a local agent.

In order to get non Australian travel companies to agree to this stipulation, pricing, tipping and other concessions were made.

This is/was all handled FAR behind the scenes when the commission contracts and structures were being worked out.

There are also a few cruise lines, Cunard and Princess come to mind, who are not governed by this ruling because they have been booking Australians through offshore locations for so many years that they are seemingly grandfathered out.

Other cruise lines don't want to risk a reprisal from the Australian Travel Authorities. They typically refuse to go into any detail about why they can't, or won't, accept Aussie bookings through American Agents.

The Aussie Agents, anxious not to kill the golden goose, also pretend ignorance as to where the restriction stems from.

This results in round after round of accusations and finger pointing, while nothing gets resolved (which is actually how the Aussie Agents want it).

To make matters even more confusing, some Australians have learned how to successfully (if temporarily) thwart the system, which only serves to exacerbate the situation.

Ever since the implementation of "prepaid gratuities", every cruise line that we have sailed has charged a higher per person gratuity to suite passengers.

Not so much pre paid but Auto Tipping (which I prefer to envelopes)

They still do not add the gratuities till the last night except for Aussies & Brits they have to pay up front with their final payment ( I believe)

Possibly they pay extra for the service of the Butler ...not sure how many cruise lines have a butler for all cabin Cat

Lyn

• 2 weeks later...
Hmmm....based on your definition of a "napkin menu" above, Oceania already has it in place. This happened regularly to us while dining in Polo on our recent journey...we didn't think it pretentious, however. ;)

Kathleen

Unless you've left a restaurant with lint-covered black clothing, you can't appreciate the switch to a dark napkin. Love the dark napkin option.

Dropped one TA after booking a 2-week Regatta trip and only getting a bottle of wine in the cabin. I now shop around for cruise TAs based on the perks like onboard credit. I've had excellent service when booking through online sites.

I've met passengers who previously cruised on all-inclusive ships, but switched because too many passengers drank too much free booze. Wouldn't mind a free 'house' wine at dinner, but I'm happy to pay for my own drinks.

Looking forward to the maiden voyage of MARINA, but not sure if the bigger ship will appeal enough for a repeat cruise. I've had my best experiences on small ships, but I'm keeping an open mind. I think Oceania will go all out to make the maiden voyage extra special, at least I'm hoping they will. -Joan

Archived