Oceania Upgrades and Increased Gratuities

kelly@

Don't you find it interesting that people will ask wait staff how much they make - I can't imagine someone asking me that question and expecting 1) an answer or 2) if they actually get an answer that it would be truthful or 3) that I would still talk to them ;):p:confused::cool:

Insofar as your discussions with the Dining Staff are concerned, we've learned that employees who work for tips are seldom candid when discussing their finances with clients.

Well, I already think the bedding is terrific, but if they want to make it better, bring it on!

I don't mind paying a dollar or two more...the staff is SO worth it. Besides, if you don't want to tip that much, you can ask the purser to reduce the amount, can't you? I would never do that, but I don't think the tips are totally non-negotiable, are they?

As with everything else (with the flap over bag fees, airline flights are a good example), if you want the best deal you have to compare total price, not just the starting one!

Don't you find it interesting that people will ask wait staff how much they make - I can't imagine someone asking me that question and expecting 1) an answer or 2) if they actually get an answer that it would be truthful or 3) that I would still talk to them ;):p:confused::cool:

Good point!

I never ask staff or anyone what they make it is none of my business

If they did not like the job they would not return time & time again

We have met some staff on several cruises over the years

We usually end up tipping some of the staff a bit extra at the end of the cruise anyway so adding an extra $ would not bother me

My TA usually provides the Gratuities on most cruises;)

Lyn

Lucky for some!!

Some of us are not so lucky :mad:

It has nothing to do with luck. That a function of the way that the Australian Travel Agents do business.

I've heard this tipping situation blamed on Aussie Laws, on the currency exchange policy and on the tipping habits of individuals.

However this manner of transacting business became the norm for down under passengers, I would suggest that you might have more success in changing things by protesting to your local authorities who govern this area of commerce.

Since our travel agent retired and I was thinking of booking another cruise, I went on *************.com to see if I could get a better deal on a January cruise than the O website provided. I got two offers, with one of them offering me pre-paid gratuities in addition to a (slightly) lower price. If you are willing to switch to a new travel agent, you may end up with pre-paid gratuities - or free insurance, or shipboard credit, or something a little more than what Oceania gives you!

Since our travel agent retired and I was thinking of booking another cruise, I went on *************.com to see if I could get a better deal on a January cruise than the O website provided. I got two offers, with one of them offering me pre-paid gratuities in addition to a (slightly) lower price. If you are willing to switch to a new travel agent, you may end up with pre-paid gratuities - or free insurance, or shipboard credit, or something a little more than what Oceania gives you!

It's not that simple for Australians.

The two I use in Florida do not generally give free gratuities, but their prices are significantly lower that OC direct and is about 2X the value of the gratuities plus they give some OBC which is also nice :)

Lucky for some!!

Some of us are not so lucky :mad:

While I prefer to shop locally and purchase items that are grown or made locally (as locally as possible), and so far do not shop online as I prefer to pay more to my local hardware and bookstores, etc. to keep them nearby and to employ my fellow countrywomen/men, you are not absolutely required to use a travel agent from New Zealand. :)

, you are not absolutely required to use a travel agent from New Zealand. :)

In some Countries you are & there is the problem.

There is a large thread on Cc someplace about it

Lyn

you wrote in part.....Well, I already think the bedding is terrific, but if they want to make it better, bring it on! !

...well the more important thing is old..remember these ships were 1990's builds and that blue and beige has grown rather tired...so a facelift is truly a good thing

Lyn

That was my point exactly. Those who are unhappy about being forced into using a local agent need to make their discontent known to those who can change that policy.

This is not an American restriction, or an Oceania restriction; let us put the blame where it belongs.

If the proper authorities are challenged often enough, perhaps change will be in the wind.

Lyn

There was an article on Cruise Critic (by Erica Silverstein, Senior Editor) about this dated May 5, 2010 and one Australian member is quoted:

"Member AussieGal agrees, 'We have now been using T.A's in the States since 2004 and usually we have two cruises a year. I have never been denied boarding on any of the ships we have cruised on which includes HAL, Princess, Oceania and Azamara.'"

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3847#howfindfares

There was an article on Cruise Critic (by Erica Silverstein, Senior Editor) about this dated May 5, 2010 and one Australian member is quoted:

"Member AussieGal agrees, 'We have now been using T.A's in the States since 2004 and usually we have two cruises a year. I have never been denied boarding on any of the ships we have cruised on which includes HAL, Princess, Oceania and Azamara.'"

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3847#howfindfares

But they know that they are skirting the rules, and thus are running the RISK of being denied.

I like to save a dollar as much as the next guy, but I'd never be able to enjoy may vacation under such circumstances.

What it really boils down to is what's the bottom line cost for the cruise. Some pax. get PPG and on board credit, but the cruise fare is not much reduced from the brochure rate. Others get a bottom line fare that is better than with the perks considered.

If one is lucky enough to get the best of both worlds, then bingo;)

That was my point exactly. Those who are unhappy about being forced into using a local agent need to make their discontent known to those who can change that policy.

I agree

Hi Aruba,

Olive oil service is one thing, but if they have water and butter service, I'm going to bust out laughing! :p

Barb, I'm laughing already. Where would it end? Perhaps a napkin menu. Some rooms already have a pillow menu... :D

Our first cruise ever was with Oceania in 2008. I had choosen a TA from the suggestions on the Oceania site. Worse experience ever.

I asked if there would be any OBC's and she said "yes". When I asked how much she said she wouldn't know until after the final payment. This was our first cruise and we had never used a TA. Our OBC was $50 and there was no discount to the brochure fare. We were majorly naive. She also neglected to tell us that if we paid for our cruise several weeks earlier than the due date we would not incur the fuel surcharge so we also got hit for the upcharge. She never got back to us when we had a question.

The next three cruises on Oceania we used an online TA suggested by a friend. She is GREAT. She returns emails/phone calls pronto. She knows the industry very well. We always get prepaid gratuities and a nice discount from the brochure fare.

Great TA's are out there.

Archived