What is acceptable to YOU for formal night?

Soxfan05

Penny, I believe God has a plan for everyone and sure enough you make a greater believer out of me.

To the OP - I am not a very formal person so dressing formally means not dressing for comfort. I know I am formally dressed when something is either a bit too high or a bit too snug. I wear 3.5" heels (not easy at my height on a moving ship), a long gown because it gives more of a elegant feel and something I wouldn't wear much outside of a cruise. I do notice what other wear but it don't really care or allow them to affect my time with my family or DH.

I love your gowns!:D

Yes, I think we would all agree that as people that can go on cruises, we are fortunate, much more fortunate then those who have so little to wear.....or eat or drink.

If you're not interested in fashion, or feel that discussing it show flaws in our characters, then this is not the board for you. Please don't come onto a fashion board and tell us how discussing fashion isn't important. I don't go onto sports forums and tell them how unimportant their chats are because *I* have no interest in them.

Thanks.

I am going to forgive you for picking on me because I am assuming you did not take the time to read what I was responding to and why. Discussing fashion is like discussing sex, everyone claims it but are they really doing it;):D

@ballgown1 and Saxfan - Thank you. Gowns are from www.ever-prettycom

I must take the total opposite approach to life and living. I spent 15 years in a town where try as I might I never really fit in. Finally I realized one of my problems was All my shirts had collars and I was not sufficiently overweight. So I solved my problem by moving to a twon where there are few over weight people and almost everyone dresses better than the average blue collar person. Nothing wrong with blue collar people they are the salt of the earth. Now they have basically won the field as they have a multitide of cruise lines down marketing to please them because they have built so many ships and there are just no enough people willing to go formal to fill them. Now I have but one line to sail on Cunard and even they with a third ship coming on line are beginning to down market in order to fill their three ships. I know I am in a small minority but I feel I have as much right to ask for ambiance from the other passengers as those who could care less. Unfortunately the few times I have tried to drees my way on a down market line, I have been the one called the snob and refused dinner partners. I am single and therefore travel alone and dining alone is no fun when on a cruise ship. Cunard I never have a problem as the passenger consist for the most part are my kind of folks and they know that dressing up makes the trip more memorable. It is great to have a wide choice. I just wish the formal folks had more than one line left to sail on.

Just curious: Have you ever been on an Oceania cruise?

Just curious: Have you ever been on an Oceania cruise?

No. Do they have 100% formal for all sea days and do they sail out of the US. I do not fly so they have to leave from a US port and be very formal otherwise they are not for me. But thanks for asking.

No. Do they have 100% formal for all sea days and do they sail out of the US. I do not fly so they have to leave from a US port and be very formal otherwise they are not for me. But thanks for asking.

Oceania has no formal nights. They have a dress code that is called

"Country Club Casual".

I have to say that over the years our "formal" idea has changed somewhat - and not necessarily because we don't enjoy dressing up. It seems that we just kept adjusting our attire to those around us. At first we did the tux and long gown. Then the black suit & cocktail dress/palazzo pants. On the other evenings DH always wore a sport coat w/wo tie and I did the dress and/or fancy top & pants. This last time to Alaska (maybe that was the difference) he was about the only one in a jacket. So - he is considering not taking all those and being content with long-sleeved shirt, etc. (Just black suit on formal nights)

Truthfully I am one that would like semi-formal all nights. Everyone looks nice and it seems to add much to the atmosphere. But I would be happy if everyone as previously said "got into the spirit of the evening". This means to me that you actually went back and cleaned up for the evening. Make the evening an "event!" There are always alternatives for those that do not want to do this. Regardless, it is not going to make or break my vacation either way. (But I did read on another thread where someone let their child ride a "big-wheel" in the dining room. :eek::eek: Now THAT is a deal-breaker!!!:D

Archived