What is acceptable to YOU for formal night?

Soxfan05

My first two cruises I wore long gowns on the elegant nights. My upcoming cruise, I also have a long gown for each of the 2 elegant nights. Although many posts I've read on CC state that most women now wear cocktail length dresses, or "little black dresses" have me doubting my choices and suspecting that I will be over dressed, I guess I will follow through with my long gowns. The other nights at dinner, I plan to wear either a sundress or slacks with a blouse. I live in a small Texas town and rarely ever (if ever) have the opportunity to dress up so I will take advantage of it and try not to worry about what other cruisers think of my attire. My DH will wear a suit on the two elegant nights and slacks/dress shirt on the other nights.

Go with the long gowns! I love to see people put in that extra effort into their appearance. I agree - I enjoy taking advantage of the opportunity to dress up. There aren't many occasions at home to be glamorous.

For us it is a "traveler's formal" rather than "Formal" and the other evenings are adjusted accordingly.

That means we will get into the "spirit" of each evening without adding a suitcase beyond our 1+1. DH will have a tux, but wear it with standard black shoes that can also be used for a day's walk or his sport jacket.

I'll have a long bag dress or silk tea-length that can double for the beach. My shoes will sub in the gym. There will be a couple "dry out overnight" tops that will look okay. Not great, but okay. If anyone expects me to be a fashion plate, they will be disapppointed, but I won't look attrocious - more like skimming by. The second bathing suit will make a great "girdle/underwear" choice.

So. why do I travel on the QM2?

Transportation! It was the only ship traveling when we were ready to leave. There will be another ship in the middle and one for the return with a lot of train hopping in between.

Sounds like great fun for those "Doing a Crossing" rather than those of us who are passing thru, but not worth dragging an extra bag around for two months.

BON VOYAGE!

The last five cruises I've been on have been on what I would call "dressy" cruise lines, Seabourn and Silversea. Everyone dresses up for formal evenings in tuxes/gowns. It's one of the many reasons I loved both of these lines.

Being priced out of the market (i.e., I cannot afford them anymore!), I'm taking a Celebrity cruise next year to the Caribbean. I understand not everyone will show up formal night in their tuxes or gowns, but I hope no one minds if I wear a gown; I have two beautiful ones I dearly love, and a cruise is the only place I get to wear them.

The last five cruises I've been on have been on what I would call "dressy" cruise lines, Seabourn and Silversea. Everyone dresses up for formal evenings in tuxes/gowns. It's one of the many reasons I loved both of these lines.

Being priced out of the market (i.e., I cannot afford them anymore!), I'm taking a Celebrity cruise next year to the Caribbean. I understand not everyone will show up formal night in their tuxes or gowns, but I hope no one minds if I wear a gown; I have two beautiful ones I dearly love, and a cruise is the only place I get to wear them.

Hi Jane, I saw your post over the Celebrity forum:) and nobody is

going to mind if you wear a long gown. I wear long dresses and long

skirts on formal nights:)

If you check my signature and click on those sites you can see some

photos of past sailings (if you want);)

This is great. A thread on formal dressing and only 2 out of 22 posts choose to address the choices of others rather than answer the question about themselves. Seems most of us can get along when it comes to formal night.

Sounds like those who answered for the most part favor cocktail dresses with gowns and black slacks and a sparkly top rounding out the choices so far. And all are well within what I consider the spirit of formal night.

Happy cruising. I hope to get a lot more positive feedback if for nothing more than to prove formal night can be discussed in a civil manner.

As I recall, this thread was started on the Fashion and Beauty board, not a line specific board. It makes a big difference as the clothing questions tend to head south immediately on the line specific boards. Then, the moderators move them over here and when read, people get the impression this board is full of snarky rude posters, or women with their noses in the air.

Not true, I find that for the most part, we can be a lot more cordial to each other here even when we don't agree. It is nice to read a thread like this without being "attacked" for your personal views.

I like to dress well, but I don't (any longer) pass immediate judgement on other peoples clothing. I may not admire what they are wearing, but it's not for me to assume I know what "type" of person they are simply because of their clothing. I've learned over the years that wonderful people come in different packages. Some of it has been learned by the tolerance and graciousness of the staff onboard cruise ships, how accepting they are of people not dressed to others idea of what is proper.

I'm still a bit grossed out by poor personal hygiene though ;)

I seem to be in a small minority here; but I never wear anything on formal nights on ships except black slacks and a dressy jacket and top. Some tops have embroidery, some have beading, some both beads and embroidery. My favorite has gold cloth patchworked with black lace and embroidered panels. Worn with a black top and gold jewelry, I look very dressed up!

I seem to be in a small minority here; but I never wear anything on formal nights on ships except black slacks and a dressy jacket and top. Some tops have embroidery, some have beading, some both beads and embroidery. My favorite has gold cloth patchworked with black lace and embroidered panels. Worn with a black top and gold jewelry, I look very dressed up!

Sounds very pretty:) I would wear that same outfit on non-formal

nights:),,,actually I do....I always bring black slacks and pretty tops:D

I would never consider an outfit that is "wedding attire" to be appropriate for formal night, unless the wedding was specified to be a formal one. Personally, I love formal attire, and that is how I dress for formal night. I wear dresses the other nights. I just love to dress up. :)

Just my .02 here, but...

Moving to Key West 10 years ago has changed my perspective in many ways. We moved here because of the "laid back" lifestyle and we have found we embrace it. After wearing business suits & hose in the FL heat, I swore I would never dress like that again, and I haven't.:) In my middle-management job, I now can wear shorts, capris and sundresses to work. It's pretty telling when every shoe I own is a thong-style! So, for us, when we're going on a Caribbean cruise, it's not really much different than my dressing expectations here. Now, if we were to go on a European or an Alaskan cruise, I expect things would be different.

To answer the OP's question, for men, a nice, clean, well-pressed, collared shirt & slacks is fine with me. For ladies, a sundress, cocktail dress, a sparkley top & slacks and sandals with at least a slight heel are fine with us. Folks can "dis" them, but, at our age, we love Carnival for their "Elegant" night, cabin size and all their other amenities.;)

I like this post and we are going on our first cruise next week to the Mexican Riviera. I don't understand why I should spend all the money on a cruise then have to dress in something that I don't enjoy wearing. I know our party will look just as good if not better on formal night but we will be comfortable w/o jackets.

acutally, i dont notice what others are wearing any more. if you are comfortable in a gown, sundress or your sunday best that is all that is important. i wear a dressy top, dress pants, nice shoes and bump it up with jewery. i am comfortable and still look nice and dressed up. i think of formal night as a salad--all sorts of things thrown in too make a great meal. :)

I must take the total opposite approach to life and living. I spent 15 years in a town where try as I might I never really fit in. Finally I realized one of my problems was All my shirts had collars and I was not sufficiently overweight. So I solved my problem by moving to a twon where there are few over weight people and almost everyone dresses better than the average blue collar person. Nothing wrong with blue collar people they are the salt of the earth. Now they have basically won the field as they have a multitide of cruise lines down marketing to please them because they have built so many ships and there are just no enough people willing to go formal to fill them. Now I have but one line to sail on Cunard and even they with a third ship coming on line are beginning to down market in order to fill their three ships. I know I am in a small minority but I feel I have as much right to ask for ambiance from the other passengers as those who could care less. Unfortunately the few times I have tried to drees my way on a down market line, I have been the one called the snob and refused dinner partners. I am single and therefore travel alone and dining alone is no fun when on a cruise ship. Cunard I never have a problem as the passenger consist for the most part are my kind of folks and they know that dressing up makes the trip more memorable. It is great to have a wide choice. I just wish the formal folks had more than one line left to sail on.

I must take the total opposite approach to life and living. I spent 15 years in a town where try as I might I never really fit in. Finally I realized one of my problems was All my shirts had collars and I was not sufficiently overweight. So I solved my problem by moving to a twon where there are few over weight people and almost everyone dresses better than the average blue collar person. Nothing wrong with blue collar people they are the salt of the earth. Now they have basically won the field as they have a multitide of cruise lines down marketing to please them because they have built so many ships and there are just no enough people willing to go formal to fill them. Now I have but one line to sail on Cunard and even they with a third ship coming on line are beginning to down market in order to fill their three ships. I know I am in a small minority but I feel I have as much right to ask for ambiance from the other passengers as those who could care less. Unfortunately the few times I have tried to drees my way on a down market line, I have been the one called the snob and refused dinner partners. I am single and therefore travel alone and dining alone is no fun when on a cruise ship. Cunard I never have a problem as the passenger consist for the most part are my kind of folks and they know that dressing up makes the trip more memorable. It is great to have a wide choice. I just wish the formal folks had more than one line left to sail on.

wow, and you wonder why you are called a snob. i dont think you eat alone on a cruise because of your clothes , it sounds like your holier-than-thou attitude is what has distanced you from others. thank god there more of us normal folks that fill the ships. stay on cunard and let us be happy without your company.

I am single and therefore travel alone and dining alone is no fun when on a cruise ship.

Penny, I believe God has a plan for everyone and sure enough you make a greater believer out of me.

To the OP - I am not a very formal person so dressing formally means not dressing for comfort. I know I am formally dressed when something is either a bit too high or a bit too snug. I wear 3.5" heels (not easy at my height on a moving ship), a long gown because it gives more of a elegant feel and something I wouldn't wear much outside of a cruise. I do notice what other wear but it don't really care or allow them to affect my time with my family or DH.

Penny, I believe God has a plan for everyone and sure enough you make a greater believer out of me.

To the OP - I am not a very formal person so dressing formally means not dressing for comfort. I know I am formally dressed when something is either a bit too high or a bit too snug. I wear 3.5" heels (not easy at my height on a moving ship), a long gown because it gives more of a elegant feel and something I wouldn't wear much outside of a cruise. I do notice what other wear but it don't really care or allow them to affect my time with my family or DH.

i was referring to the arragence of his post. i have always been brought up to not judge others because they dont have as nice a wardrobe or body as the one i am given ( which is very normal, clean and healthy for both closet and body). too move from a town because others that lived there were not as '' well dressed '' or had '' bodies that disturbed him , is snobbery . is there a reason he cruises alone?? perhaps he cant find anyone that lives up too his standards that will travel with him or feel comfortable being in his '' circle in a bubble '' . i dont know of course. i am just guessing. but i think it is very sad too be so judgemental of others less fortune. i have said enough and wont post again. as im sure some of you will be glad too know.

i was referring to the arragence of his post. i have always been brought up to not judge others because they dont have as nice a wardrobe or body as the one i am given ( which is very normal, clean and healthy for both closet and body). too move from a town because others that lived there were not as '' well dressed '' or had '' bodies that disturbed him , is snobbery . is there a reason he cruises alone?? perhaps he cant find anyone that lives up too his standards that will travel with him or feel comfortable being in his '' circle in a bubble '' . i dont know of course. i am just guessing. but i think it is very sad too be so judgemental of others less fortune. i have said enough and wont post again. as im sure some of you will be glad too know.

Unfortunately some people define who they are by the thread on their back not the fabric of their character. Really, these clothes threads are a joke when we stop and think that millions of people have so little to wear. We are privileged, we blessed , we are cruisers and what others wear matter to us....NOT me!

Oh wow...looks like I missed quite a thread here...!:eek:

To the OP: Love your screen name if its for the White Sox..!

I work in a national chain of high end clothing stores, and the last thing I want to do on vacation is to wear shirts and ties, since I have to every single day at work...Formal to me can be tux and long gowns, and suits/ties & cocktail dresses...

That being said, I think everyone needs to wear what makes them comfortable and what looks good on them. Not everyone is blessed with perfect bodies and the money to dress, and that's OK....

The important thing is that everyone is having an amazing time on board!

We usually choose to do the buffets those nights....

Your photos are FABULOUS! You all look fantastic.

I work in a national chain of high end clothing stores, and the last thing I want to do on vacation is to wear shirts and ties, since I have to every single day at work...Formal to me can be tux and long gowns, and suits/ties & cocktail dresses...

That being said, I think everyone needs to wear what makes them comfortable and what looks good on them. Not everyone is blessed with perfect bodies and the money to dress, and that's OK....

I am new to these "boards" and have read quite a variety of opinions (sometimes emotional opinions) about "formal night." Some have suggested that the important people wear tuxedos and gowns, but others have said they spend so much time in formal dress as part of their work, that (same as you) the last thing they want to do is dress up on holiday -- and another wrote that the important and enjoyable people will be at the grill on formal night. Still another said he felt that formal nights were like proms for the elderly.

Personally I think that formal night is sort of a fantasy evening for most people. It's a chance to dress up when one would not do so otherwise. But it seems that people get so uptight and upset about those who do not want to dress formally, and I find this puzzling. If someone does not dress formally, does it ruin the fantasy for them? If so, what a pity. Don't understand the emotion behind it - after all, this is a cruise ship vacation and the dinner is not the Time Gala for the 100 most important people in the world. It's a pretend, fun, fantasy.

So it baffles me that anyone would assume those who do not want to dress formally are "blue collar." It's probably those who ARE "blue collar" who want to dress up because there is no other opportunity to do so through work events. If some feel the cruise line is catering to riff raff because they do not want to dress formally, they may want to think again. Those who are not dressed formally might be the "upper crust" - to use a snobby term.

Someone above wrote that only Cunard is classy enough for his/her tastes. Well we took a rather pricey cruise on Oceania. There was no formal night, but the cruise certainly was in a higher price range.

Everyone should just do whatever they want. All options are available.

Thanks for playing! Great post.

LOL Soxfan refers to the Red Sox but mea culpa, I'm not really a fan. I asked my kids to help me set up a screen name and my Red Sox fan gave me the moniker to make his Yankee's fan twin angry.

Personally I think that formal night is sort of a fantasy evening for most people. It's a chance to dress up when one would not do so otherwise. But it seems that people get so uptight and upset about those who do not want to dress formally, and I find this puzzling. If someone does not dress formally, does it ruin the fantasy for them? If so, what a pity. Don't understand the emotion behind it - after all, this is a cruise ship vacation and the dinner is not the Time Gala for the 100 most important people in the world. It's a pretend, fun, fantasy.

quote]

Here is where we disagree. I do not look at wearing a tuxedo on a formal evening to be living in some fantasy world. I was brought up that when an event called for formal wear one knew enough to wear formal wear because it was the proper thing to do. The designation Formal was not issued so people could attend in shirt sleeves and slacks. If that was the desire then the invitation would read back yard casual.Those that showed up not wearing the proper clothing were thought to be either unknowing about the correct attire or that they did not care, in any event they would not be invited back. If for whatever reason they could not at least rent formal wear they simply sent their regrets.

quote]

Here is where we disagree. I do not look at wearing a tuxedo on a formal evening to be living in some fantasy world. I was brought up that when an event called for formal wear one knew enough to wear formal wear because it was the proper thing to do. The designation Formal was not issued so people could attend in shirt sleeves and slacks. If that was the desire then the invitation would read back yard casual.Those that showed up not wearing the proper clothing were thought to be either unknowing about the correct attire or that they did not care, in any event they would not be invited back. If for whatever reason they could not at least rent formal wear they simply sent their regrets.

No, I think we DO agree. Those who do not want to dress formally on their holiday can go to the buffet or grill. But it should not be an emotional judgment on them should they choose to do so. Perhaps those that actually do go to events such as the Time gala or that sort of thing might just prefer the outdoor grill in comfortable smart casual shorts.

Unfortunately some people define who they are by the thread on their back not the fabric of their character. Really, these clothes threads are a joke when we stop and think that millions of people have so little to wear. We are privileged, we blessed , we are cruisers and what others wear matter to us....NOT me!

Yes, I think we would all agree that as people that can go on cruises, we are fortunate, much more fortunate then those who have so little to wear.....or eat or drink.

If you're not interested in fashion, or feel that discussing it show flaws in our characters, then this is not the board for you. Please don't come onto a fashion board and tell us how discussing fashion isn't important. I don't go onto sports forums and tell them how unimportant their chats are because *I* have no interest in them.

Thanks.

Archived