What is acceptable to YOU for formal night?

Soxfan05

Everytime there is a thread on formal night, it suddenly turns into an us vs. them war. Those who say it should be "dress formal" or hit the buffet, what do you mean by "formal"? No flames please. I totally agree cargo shorts and ripped jeans should not be allowed and cruise lines need to make that clear by turning away anyone who does not comply. But there are looks between formal and slovenly. So my question is WHAT IS ACCEPTABLE TO YOU FOR FORMAL NIGHT?

My answer: anyone who dresses in the spirit of the evening, meaning they wear what they would wear to a wedding or other special event that they consider formal should not be turned away from the dining room.

Everytime there is a thread on formal night, it suddenly turns into an us vs. them war. Those who say it should be "dress formal" or hit the buffet, what do you mean by "formal"? No flames please. I totally agree cargo shorts and ripped jeans should not be allowed and cruise lines need to make that clear by turning away anyone who does not comply. But there are looks between formal and slovenly. So my question is WHAT IS ACCEPTABLE TO YOU FOR FORMAL NIGHT?

My answer: anyone who dresses in the spirit of the evening, meaning they wear what they would wear to a wedding or other special event that they consider formal should not be turned away from the dining room.

Unfortunately, I've coordinated some weddings where the attire was requested as semi-formal, but persons in jeans, shorts and god knows what else showed up. Many were members of the family.

I won't go back and forth with what should or shouldn't be worn, it is a personal preference. I chose Celebrity because I was told that it catered to a certain market, but I am finding that it is very much like the other two that I have been on, where some people wanted to dress for the formal nights and others didn't.

It is their prerogative.

I think it completely depends on the line, ship, & itinerary. We cruised to Hawaii on X years ago, we did dress for formal nights, as well as informal (those are gone now) DH wore a suit & I wore a cocktail dress with nice jewelry.(that's what is acceptable for me to wear, but I realy don't care what others wear, it simply won't affect me) Really only saw a smattering of tuxes & a couple of long gowns...did a TA on X last Fall, people were really dressed to the nines, gowns, tuxes, (& one formal was on a port day, go figure) I guess, long story short, I'll follow the guidelines, but can deal if others don't.

We did the evening gowns and suits on the first 2 cruises we took. However, now i wear a cocktail dress and my dh wears a shirt, tie and nice dress slacks. With packing costs and such (we fly from wa to florida) i dont want to have to do the long dresses. With that said i have seen all different types of outfits that people wear on what is supposed to be formal nights.

I have a couple nice dresses to take this cruise.

On each of our cruises I have worn long dresses at all but one of the formal nights, the other night was a short cocktail dress because my DH spilled a drink on me before we went to dinner. He wears a tux both nights, one night w/vest and long tie, the next no vest and bow tie and different tux style shirt each night. On other nights I tend to wear either a nice dress or dressy slacks and top. DH wears sport coat wth or without a tie.

We enjoy dressing and feel it makes our cruise more memorable.

This time we are sailing on Carnival, where formal night has been replaced by elegant night. Though we have always enjoyed dressing up (I wore a long or cocktail dress and DH a suit or tux) for formal nights on our previous cruises, we are giving in to baggage restrictions this time (We are flying rather than driving to port this time). Since DH is not bringing a suit (He will wear dress slacks, a dress shirt and tie) I will also relax the code a bit. I am planning to wear flowy black knit pants and a plain black top with a glitzy wrap and jewelry. A bit above the business casual we usually wear.

Thanks to those of you who answered the question. We chose for hubby to wear a dark suit and I wore a cocktail dress on one evening and we opted to dine at an alternative restaurant the following evening on our last cruise. My sons were in nice outfits with sportsjackets, dress pants shirt and tie. Not what some would consider "formal" but as I said, "in the spirit" of the evening.

I like your usage of "spirit of the evening". Ive not sailed before,so I cant speak from experience. But I can say Im sailing with one of my BFF's. She's athletic,and does nto get too dressed up often {neither do I}. But she and I have a dress that is almost identical. Im wearning it for a non elegant night and shes wearing hers for elegant. I think it comes down to preferance. what YOU are comforatble with. Her dress is beautiful on her,and shes comfortable in it. Im like , go for it, and have considered wearing mine the same night. But I bought a more semi formal, knee length fuschia dress with a broach under the bodice. Mama dont get dressed up too often,so i went all out girlie for my cruise.

I prefer to wear cocktail length dresses. I've found that not only do I like them better on my body, they are so much easier to pack than long gowns or dresses.

My husband wears a sportscoat, slacks, shirt and tie. We take 2 ties for him and have the shirt laundered in between formal nights.

I'd actually prefer to dress semi formal like this every night for dinner.

I can't get my husband to wear more than a nice dress shirt and slacks. So I usually wear a simple cocktail dress or "little black dress" with heals and jewelry. I have worn longer style flowy cocktail dresses but wouldn't go over the top especially given the packing restrictions we have.

I have a Cunard crossing coming up in August, which will be followed by internal flights in the US and then a flight home to England.

I intend to bring a long black matte jersey skirt, or a black silk tank style long dress with three dressy tops/jackets/cardigans for the formal nights (which are really semi-formal anyway as they are black tie rarther than white tie) and silver sandals, probably flat ,for my pedicured feet. I want to be both dressed up and comfortable.

I have to bring clothes for the ship, for a few days in a very hot New York followed by a week in an even hotter Austin, Texas.

If I can't get it all into one carry-on bag plus a purse, I will bring a second suitcase on the ship and then post it back to London from New York before I board the flight to Austin.

I won't skip the formal nights for lack of space and, in general, my dress up clothes don't take that much room anyway.

The need for a cocktail-type dress can be met by a short crepe day dress with one of the jackets. I hope that so long as I look reasonably pulled together and appropriate that I will enjoy myself and not distract others.

I wear a formal dress, usually long, and my husband wears a tux--and he looks so handsome. I love the process of getting ready together for formal night.

What other people wear has no impact on my enjoyment of the evening. I love to admire the people who are all dressed up. The others look foolish to me, but I don't care.

I took my very 1st cruise in April on Royal Carribean...I was assured that a nice sundress and a wrap would be fine for formal night. Once I got to the MDR, I knew I should have listened to my instincts instead of someone else.

I felt very under dressed.

For our cruise that leaves this Friday I have two long but lightweight formal dresses packed, one simple black dress and one with a pattern. None take up that much room and my one pair of dress shoes will go will all nicely.

For my husband we're taking his good black suit with two different ties. We'll see how well he takes to cruising before we decide to invest in a tux.

I too am not going to worry about what others wear. I'm looking forward to all aspects of this cruise and that includes formal night.

I think it depends on what cruise line you are on as well. We have sailed princess and carnival. We actually got married on carnival 5 yrs ago. I def did that cruise more formal with the dresses.

I am trying to contemplate which dress to bring for the second formal night on our cruise. I have a cocktail dress in black and white and then i am torn between a gray layered lace dress (inc) and a green and yellow dress (inc)

We usually change for dinner every night, so whatever we have worn during the day we go and change and clean up for dinner. I like to be comfortable with what i have on as i go to the shows and dancing or whatever in what i change into for my nightime attire. This would include dresses, skirts, nice capri's or dress shorts. My teenager likes to wear a dress and get dressed up as well.

Harley Granny, when I do wear a dress on formal night, it is a nice sundress with a fancy wrap and lots of bling. Usually I wear my dressy black pants and a "sparkly"/dressy top. Really, they are both more Smart Casual than formal, but they do just fine for formal night, and I've never felt underdressed or out-of-place wearing either on formal nights.

My personal opinion is that people get way too hung up on what they think other people think about what they are wearing (hope that makes sense!) Since I really don't care that much what other people wear, why should they care about what I wear?

Hey TnMama, see you found this board too!

I feel you need to dress to suit yourself but at the same time think if the venue, the MDR is a MAIN DINING ROOM. We enjoy dressing up and do so each night and formal nights are so much fun and my DH looks SO GOOD in his tux:) I see no excuse for men not wearing a jacket, flying or not, bring one for formal night. Your DW might surprise you with a "special late night dessert";)

n641805064_5167702_590.jpg

But my husband will be in a tux. Not Hawaiian formal. Lets just say he had packing issues.. :rolleyes: We are going on a 14 day TA, so 3 formal nights, one dress, dry cleaned after each use. We have overseas luggage / train / etc issues to deal with.

Hey TnMama, see you found this board too!

I feel you need to dress to suit yourself but at the same time think if the venue, the MDR is a MAIN DINING ROOM. We enjoy dressing up and do so each night and formal nights are so much fun and my DH looks SO GOOD in his tux:) I see no excuse for men not wearing a jacket, flying or not, bring one for formal night. Your DW might surprise you with a "special late night dessert";)

Not so much a surprise as a shock!!:D Perhaps I tux it up too often or dance too late or am just not using the right recipe??:confused:

Either way, put us down for plenty of formal wear.

If what you are wearing is within the dress code of the cruiseline you are sailing then you are dressed appropriately.

On the two cruises we've been on (both Princess), I've worn cocktail dresses and husband has worn a dark suit with a dress shirt and tie. There is no way he's either buying or renting a tux for a cruise, though I suspect one day he might surprise me. I'd LOVE to wear a fancy long gown... Maybe in November.

I guess my expectation for others is more "fancy" or "special" rather than formal. For women, anything you'd wear around the house or to an office is not fancy enough (unless you have an unusual place of employment or lounge around the house in a cocktail dress). I've seen a lot of sundresses and for me, if you are over the age of 19, that's not fancy enough.

I've seen a lot of women in black pants or skirts with festive jackets and tops which I think is totally fine. My mom looked quite elegant in her black pants and her black sparkly jacket on our last cruise. I know she was comfortable, felt good, and definitely fit in. It wasn't formal, but it wasn't exactly something she'd roll to the grocery store in either. :)

I know a lot of people say that "It's my vacation. I am gonna wear what I want." Others say it shouldn't bother other people if they aren't dressed up. Fact of the matter is, formal nights are special for most cruisers. I know lots of people on these forums cruise pretty frequently, but most of the world doesn't get to go on a cruise every year or even every five years. A formal night just adds to the whole occasion of cruising for lots of people. Someone who isn't dressed appropriately takes away from some of the ambiance and the feeling that this is a special event.

For me, I prefer to dress up a bit more on Formal (or now elegant I guess) night. First night, I usually wear a long formal dress. Something along the lines of a more grown up prom dress or bridesmaid dress. Second night, I might wear another long dress or I might wear a cocktail dress, but it's dressy and I complete with accessories.

Actually, most nights, I tend to go a little dressier than I need to and like to wear dresses or skirts.

This is great. A thread on formal dressing and only 2 out of 22 posts choose to address the choices of others rather than answer the question about themselves. Seems most of us can get along when it comes to formal night.

Sounds like those who answered for the most part favor cocktail dresses with gowns and black slacks and a sparkly top rounding out the choices so far. And all are well within what I consider the spirit of formal night.

Happy cruising. I hope to get a lot more positive feedback if for nothing more than to prove formal night can be discussed in a civil manner.

Anything that you would be considered business casual or better is fine with me.

Archived