What is acceptable to YOU for formal night?

Soxfan05

I LOVE to dress up and live in a small town and have zero opportunity to do so. Going out on a Saturday night usually consists of flipflops, cutoffs and a tank so I probably go a little overboard on the cruise. I like to see all the other people dressed up as well, but It doesn't make me feel bad if everyone else is casual. I like to look nice, and feel good about myself and never had anyone say anything to me. I would most likely tell them right where to shove it anyway :p I like to wear a nice dress, cocktail or pretty summer dress for every dinner. It's a vacation after all right!! You're suposed to do whatever makes you feel good!! Bikini's by day, cocktail dresses by night!! :)

I try to travel light and am a mix and match packer. I have 3 different black "bottoms" to choose from (a long black matte jersey straight skirt with a slit, a pair of black stain tuxedo-style trousers, and a long black silk skirt that has a little more fullness). All 3 travel like a dream; I usually take 2 of the 3 with me -- I like to rotate so I don't always wear the same thing. For tops, I tend to wear some sort of dressy jacket, with or without a shell. (I am usually cold in the ship at night.) Something like these:

9p6VxzSZX17rma1xuq1Hn_xgOt8R6N_kGHr575dvOcNZ4aM0eeYco6zNTF7tnn2trqt-JG0p3BQk724fi4L1-OClm40GZ6AxfQj8eZQVMkoTz_TsNRzYV1qUAOJDeIMOcDql41ZvSECzzEhnqRmWVXt_QwNt3sHwcHM9yRlYeJEjwunUD2QIGqUmVAMve0N4gHTEhUvXs0JNJJVVOkWNHO2Rao5B82i205XrXtzhy8_gNYcngu56nga9-Np4q5IzePTlN8zi10KnrZt671md6xRshw

I always dress up a little bit even on smart casual nights. Generally black pants with a nice little embellished cardigan or Chico's-type jacket.

I have already said we like to dress up, now I am going off the subject somewhat to share something.

DH loves to wear a tux but only does so on a cruise and since mens styles do change we debated over buying vs renting. I love to shop and look fo deals. I called about 4 different rental stores and asked if they have cruise packages. What?? was the response I got. So, I said I want to rent a tux, and bring back in 12 twelve days (7 day cruise + travel time), want 2 shirts, 1 vest an 2 ties and pay the same as if I brought it back within 48 hours. Finally got one yes and we go back every year.

It is a very rare man who does not look more handsome and sexier in a good traditional dinner jacket (tuxedo). IMO the style of a traditional (i.e. not powder blue with a ruffled shirt, but black with a pleated white shirt) dinner jacket has changed very little in the past 50 years and young men who wear their grandfather's dj look terrific.

There are very few items of clothing that have changed so little or give so much to the wearer.

Perhaps if more men realised the allure, more would buy or rent one on every occasion.

I think since I most often drive to the ports, I don't even think about packing around formal wear. I love to dress up, so it's either a long gown or short cocktail dress, doesn't depend on ship/itinerary. It depends on what dress I find on sale...or through the recycle thread!

It is a very rare man who does not look more handsome and sexier in a good traditional dinner jacket (tuxedo). IMO the style of a traditional (i.e. not powder blue with a ruffled shirt, but black with a pleated white shirt) dinner jacket has changed very little in the past 50 years and young men who wear their grandfather's dj look terrific.

There are very few items of clothing that have changed so little or give so much to the wearer.

Perhaps if more men realised the allure, more would buy or rent one on every occasion.

The basic style is the same, however lapels change and very few seem to wear the old cummerbund, the same as the white dinner jacket, which I like. I love seeing the men all dressed up, as I tell my DH, my heart goes pitty pat everytime he wears one:)

I haven't seen a powder blue with ruffled shirt since prom many many years;)

Everytime there is a thread on formal night, it suddenly turns into an us vs. them war. Those who say it should be "dress formal" or hit the buffet, what do you mean by "formal"? No flames please. I totally agree cargo shorts and ripped jeans should not be allowed and cruise lines need to make that clear by turning away anyone who does not comply. But there are looks between formal and slovenly. So my question is WHAT IS ACCEPTABLE TO YOU FOR FORMAL NIGHT?

My answer: anyone who dresses in the spirit of the evening, meaning they wear what they would wear to a wedding or other special event that they consider formal should not be turned away from the dining room.

Formal: White Tie and Tails is the totally correct formal attire in the evning. In the fore noon - Grey waistcoast, darker long formal jacket and dark trousers. The tuxedo became the formal attire of the time when men became too lazy to dress in true formal attire. It has not changed since then. Formal is minimum Tuxedo or in the tropics a White Dinner Jacket with tuxedo pants and NEVER black street shoes. Patent Leather only.

Informal: A business suit in a dark black or blue, plain or striped (Subtle stripe) Never brown. Tied Black shoes are acceptable here.

Elegant Casual - Blazer, dark gray slacks or tan slacks in warmer climes Long sleeved shirt and tie. Never tied street shoes and never ever sneakers of any sort. Loafers, better than average dockers and the same in leather sandles. NO FLIP FLOPS.

Casual - Way too much room in this definition from fine resort wear to Bubba's lounge and a "Cleaner" T shirt and jeans. And on some lines that is considered dressing up

So it all depends on which line and how much you care about being part of the atmosphere rather than taking the atmosphere down to a lower level.

I have always worn a suit and tie on all my past cruises on formal night..Dress slacks with a tie the other nights...I have moved to San Pedro Belize, in the Caribbean. I left most dress clothes at home in the states. I plan on Slacks and a Nice shirt and tie for formal. and I think I read the other nights I can wear nice black jeans with a collard shirt.

Formal: White Tie and Tails is the totally correct formal attire in the evning. In the fore noon - Grey waistcoast, darker long formal jacket and dark trousers. The tuxedo became the formal attire of the time when men became too lazy to dress in true formal attire. It has not changed since then. Formal is minimum Tuxedo or in the tropics a White Dinner Jacket with tuxedo pants and NEVER black street shoes. Patent Leather only.

Informal: A business suit in a dark black or blue, plain or striped (Subtle stripe) Never brown. Tied Black shoes are acceptable here.

Elegant Casual - Blazer, dark gray slacks or tan slacks in warmer climes Long sleeved shirt and tie. Never tied street shoes and never ever sneakers of any sort. Loafers, better than average dockers and the same in leather sandles. NO FLIP FLOPS.

Casual - Way too much room in this definition from fine resort wear to Bubba's lounge and a "Cleaner" T shirt and jeans. And on some lines that is considered dressing up

So it all depends on which line and how much you care about being part of the atmosphere rather than taking the atmosphere down to a lower level.

Let's not get off the rails with yet another negative conversation- your last sentence could really start that. This thread asks a specific question. We've got some great answers. It would be great to hear your answer too! :D Or is your outline of what "formal" consists of what you think is the only acceptable attire on formal night on a cruise ship?

formal wear is acceptable to me for formal night - nothing less!

If the cruise line specifies a tux or dark suit for men and cocktail dresses, evening gowns or dressy pants suits (which is not just a pair of trousers and a silky blouse, by the way) for women, that is what we will wear.

If we didn't want to dress we would have 1) found a line that didn't have formal night or 2) dined elsewhere so as to not ruin the ambiance of the evening for others (yes, I said it!).

DH is renting a tux, and bring coordinating ties to match our outfits. DD is wearing a 'cocktail' style dress, appropriate to her age and also her communion dress (which is simple, yet elegant but not fussy). I am wearing a knit gown one evening and a silk ruched gown the other. We are all looking forward to dressing, particularly DH, who almost never gets to wear a tux, but enjoys dressing up. Incidentally, he is also taking a few sports coats for smart casual night - why? because he wants to and that is smart casual.

And yes, we are flying to Europe, but given how much we spent on this trip, the luggage allowance (and whether or not we go over) is not going to really make a difference at this point.

cs

Let's not get off the rails with yet another negative conversation- your last sentence could really start that. This thread asks a specific question. We've got some great answers. It would be great to hear your answer too! :D Or is your outline of what "formal" consists of what you think is the only acceptable attire on formal night on a cruise ship?

Yes that is my opinion for "formal" evenings be they on board a ship or anywhere on land.

If what you are wearing is within the dress code of the cruiseline you are sailing then you are dressed appropriately.

Agreed, for us it's a formal or cocktail dress for me and a suit/sport coat and tie for DH.

While "formal" is technically white tie and tails for men and long gowns for women, this not usually what is meant by "formal" in the U.S. Formal usually means tuxedo whether it is referred to as a "dinner jacket" or "black tie". I doubt most people have ever been to a "white tie" event. I think that these days they are pretty much confined to events at the White House, diplomatic events and probably weddings and such for the ultra elite and aristocrats.

That said, since most men don't own tuxedos, a dark suit and tie is almost always acceptable.

Here's what we do for "Dress up or not night" on NCL. We are not the dress up kind of people so NCL is a great fit for us. On the dress up or not night we make that our Romantic Evening. I wear a sexy little cocktail dress and DH wears slacks and a dress shirt. We go to our favorite restaurant that night, usually the steakhouse or the french restaurant and have a wonderful meal. I am not one to let what other people wear to make or break my night or our cruise for that matter. My focus is my husband and if I am too busy looking at what other people are wearing I am completly missing the point off our special evening and our cruise. I am there to spend some much needed time with my husband and love every minute of it. Life is too short to stress over what other cruisers are wearing.

Just my .02 here, but...

Moving to Key West 10 years ago has changed my perspective in many ways. We moved here because of the "laid back" lifestyle and we have found we embrace it. After wearing business suits & hose in the FL heat, I swore I would never dress like that again, and I haven't.:) In my middle-management job, I now can wear shorts, capris and sundresses to work. It's pretty telling when every shoe I own is a thong-style! So, for us, when we're going on a Caribbean cruise, it's not really much different than my dressing expectations here. Now, if we were to go on a European or an Alaskan cruise, I expect things would be different.

To answer the OP's question, for men, a nice, clean, well-pressed, collared shirt & slacks is fine with me. For ladies, a sundress, cocktail dress, a sparkley top & slacks and sandals with at least a slight heel are fine with us. Folks can "dis" them, but, at our age, we love Carnival for their "Elegant" night, cabin size and all their other amenities.;)

I'm one of those pants with dressy blouse people and find it interesting that it would not be considered acceptable, as I didn't feel underdressed at all. I did a hunt for formal pants suits, and found that most of them are actually fairly bland and could easily be worn to work...some were just odd :eek:! In fact, I found that you actually get a dressier look if you buy separates. (Love your choices cruisemom!) But, in the interest of maintaining a formal look for our cruise, I've been looking for an acceptable dress to put my apple-shaped body into - NOT an easy thing to find! (Not "dissing" myself - just stating a fact:)) While watching QVC, I saw this caftan by Rachel Zoe. She was saying that it's a comfortable evening formal if you add some bling, and was wondering if that were true. Any thoughts?

http://images-p.qvc.com/is/image/a/80/a202380_012.102?$swatchlarge$

DH and I loved getting all dressed up for formal night. I wore a gown and he wore a tux. We enjoyed it for us and because formal night is a place we felt we could get all dressed up and feel appropriate. It really doesn't matter to us if others are wearing similar outfits or if they are wearing something else...as long as we enjoy it and we feel appropriate, we are fine.

My first two cruises I wore long gowns on the elegant nights. My upcoming cruise, I also have a long gown for each of the 2 elegant nights. Although many posts I've read on CC state that most women now wear cocktail length dresses, or "little black dresses" have me doubting my choices and suspecting that I will be over dressed, I guess I will follow through with my long gowns. The other nights at dinner, I plan to wear either a sundress or slacks with a blouse. I live in a small Texas town and rarely ever (if ever) have the opportunity to dress up so I will take advantage of it and try not to worry about what other cruisers think of my attire. My DH will wear a suit on the two elegant nights and slacks/dress shirt on the other nights.

DH and I loved getting all dressed up for formal night. I wore a gown and he wore a tux. We enjoyed it for us and because formal night is a place we felt we could get all dressed up and feel appropriate. It really doesn't matter to us if others are wearing similar outfits or if they are wearing something else...as long as we enjoy it and we feel appropriate, we are fine.

I'm the same way, we enjoy the dressing up, we think it makes it more special. I wear long both nights and the other nights I tend to wear a short dress, slacks and dressy top. DH wears tux both nights, sport coat or nice shirt and slacks the other nights.

Enjoying yourseld is what is important.:)

I've never crusied in the fall or winter so I'm not sure about the fabrics... I have a velvet sleeveless "little black dress". Do you see any velvet being worn in the Caribean in November?

Thanks! ~Karen

I haven't and I checked with a friend that is lucky enough to cruise 6-8 times a year and she agrees, velvet to heavy for that area? I envy her as she take 2 week cruises at least half the time. But wear what you are comfortable in and I have seen some "lightweight" velvet so...

Just enjoy your cruise:)

Archived