What's on your Kindle?

Eve

I just downloaded several "cruise" specific books on my Kindle. Thought you might like some of these:

Nancy Cohen - Killer Knots

Mary Higgins Clark - Santa Cruise

Laura Levine - Killer Cruise

Carolyn Hart - Set Sail for Murder

Carl Hiassen - Skinny Dip

I haven't read them yet, but thought that they would be light reading and fun while aboard!! (PS read Cruise Confidential last cruise!!)

I read Skinny Dip on our last cruise....great light (and funny) reading.

I thought I would share what happen on our cruise to the Baltic's in May. We were outside reading our Kindles by the pool (yes we did have some very nice weather) and a gentleman walked up and sat not far from us and asked us about our Kindle. He then went on and on why he bought the Ipad (sorry not sure what it is called) why it was so much more superior to the kindle. After several minutes he turn on his I pad to start to read the book he down loaded and he could not read the screen. It was to bright outside for him to read it. He had to leave and go back indoors to read his book. My dh and I just looked at each other and starting laughing, because as he said, buying a kindle is a waste of money when you can have an Ipad that does everything. BUT I guess you can't read it in the sunshine.:D:rolleyes::D

Laura

Thanks Snausman, so the Ipad is superior huh??? Very funny! To Repeat, I love my kindle!

Also the Ipad does not have the "look up" function that I could not live without. (seems I'm not too intelligent) :eek:

We both thought it is was very funny. I must say every time we saw this gentleman we would giggle and ask him if his Ipad was working yet outside.:D:rolleyes::D Guess we all know who the intelligent ones are!:D;)

Laura

I just downloaded several "cruise" specific books on my Kindle. Thought you might like some of these:

I haven't read them yet, but thought that they would be light reading and fun while aboard!! (PS read Cruise Confidential last cruise!!)

Read Killer Cruise by Laura Levine and loved it - got a few more of her books for free and paid about $3 to $5 for the rest of them - there's 8 total available on Amazon. If you want light, funny murder mysteries you have to read these books. The main character has two crazy parents, food issues, men issues, a nosy neighbor and solves murders on the side. I have laughed out loud reading these books - they're very enjoyable.

The very best FUN READ on a cruise is CRUISE CONFIDENTIAL!!

It is a TRUE behind-the-scenes story, with LOTS of cruise details by Brian David Bruns.

BTW... I totally concur with an earlier post about the FREE listings.... we have found many to be among the best books we've ever read!

Thanks to all who replied! I read "The Girl With The...." series in order and loved it! It can be a little slow at first, but stick with it. Can't wait to peruse some of the suggestions all of you provided.

I absolutely love my Kindle! Wasn't sure about it at the outset, but now I can't imagine being without it.

That's funny--I thought the first two were easy to read and I struggled a bit with the dryness of the third, which I am almost finished with. I would say more but I am off to read!

Add "Death Cruise" a compliation of short stories.

Questions for I-Pad ( I know it says Kindle) users-does anyone have a "sunshade" for the I-Pad. I like to read outdoors.

Thanks

Carole

Garry - have you read the rest of Steve Berry's series? John & I have read them all and I'm currently reading The Paris Vendetta. Love his books! Also, have you tried reading the Clive Cussler series? He has a lot of books along the same line as Berry.

Love our Kindles. We just got them and can't wait to download some of the classics to re-read.

Best to Bob. We've booked Century to Hawaii in 2012. Not sure if we'll definitely do it but the cabins were available we wanted. Looking at a river cruise also.

Pat

The first Steve Berry book I read was The Templar Legacy. It was $0.00 (my favorite price) and appeared to be interesting from the review. I am now a huge fan. I am currently finishing off The Charlemagne Pursuit and just purchased The Paris Vendetta.

In addition to those two some of the books I have on my Kindle are:

Wolf Hall . . . Hilary Mantel

The Surgeon . . . Terri Gerritsen

The Sicilian . . . Mario Puzo (a re-read)

Executive Privilege . . . Philip Margolin

Body of Lies . . . David Ignatius.

The Pacific . . . Hugh Ambrose

I plan on saving Wolf Hall for the transatlantic this fall.

Now, I am one of those "cheap" buyers. When the Kindle was first introduced the thing that got me was $9.99 a book. I refuse to pay any more than that. I do not "have" to read the current best seller hot off the press, so I wait a couple of months and Amazon's price will drop.

ooh this is fun...Bel-ami by Guy Maupassant; Deliver us from Evil by David Baldacci; Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen; Gulliver's Travelsf by Jonathan Swift and always Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

I don't think anyone has mentioned the Jack Reacher series by Lee Childs. I think it is terrific reading.

One of my favs!!!!!:D I like the Stephanie Plum series by Evanovich too. Patterson is alright for a light read - but kind of basic - you know what's coming.

Sue Henry: Love her Alaska stuff

Sara Paretsky ; AI Warshwashi series - wonderful!! has a new one out

Charlaine Harris : Sookie Stackhouse series - it's got vampires, but it

wonderfully campy!!!

I'm hesitant about getting a Kindle as I really like a book in my hands, but I'm thinking about it. Just thought I'd add these writers if you're looking for a good read.

Anything by Harlan Coben - stand alone novels are great. Also love his Myron Bolitar series.

Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series.

Greg Iles' Penn Cage books.

Also enjoy Jonathan Kellerman, Faye Kellerman, James Patterson, Janet Evanovich for a light read, and Sue Grafton.

Currently reading Stephen White's Alan Gregory series.

Add "Death Cruise" a compliation of short stories.

Questions for I-Pad ( I know it says Kindle) users-does anyone have a "sunshade" for the I-Pad. I like to read outdoors.

Thanks

Carole

I just ordered the case for my i-pad...my understanding is you can somehow use the cover as a sunshade.....I will let you know as soon as it arrives.

I'm hesitant about getting a Kindle as I really like a book in my hands, but I'm thinking about it. Just thought I'd add these writers if you're looking for a good read.

Anything by Harlan Coben - stand alone novels are great. Also love his Myron Bolitar series.

Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series.

Greg Iles' Penn Cage books.

Also enjoy Jonathan Kellerman, Faye Kellerman, James Patterson, Janet Evanovich for a light read, and Sue Grafton.

Currently reading Stephen White's Alan Gregory series.

KruzPrincess,

I "sorta" had the same thought before buying my first Kindle. However, I can now pack 20, 30 or 100 books for vacation and the weight never changes.

Another point, when reading in bed and "dozing off", the weight of the Kindle as it strikes my forehead is so much less than a hardback or a thick paperback. :D:eek::D:eek::D

A third point would be the cost of a "new" book in hardback vs a Kindle. The savings (not factoring in the cost of the Kindle) can be significant.

DocJohnB - I too am one of those "cheap" Kindle book buyers. It irks me no end that some publishers are banding together and fixing the e prices at the same price as the discounted hardcovers. I have put up with multiple spacing and editing errors on many of my e-books but when the price was right it really didn't mater. But you can't tell me that the publisher cost for an e book (and it better be perfect for those prices) is the same as the cost for printing and distributing a hardcover. I hope those price fixing publishers find a decrease in their sales - as much as I don't need any more "real" books on my shelves, I'll be buying those titles from the used book vendors on Amazon. After all there a lots of Kindle books at the right price to keep me amused for a long time.

I'm hesitant about getting a Kindle as I really like a book in my hands, but I'm thinking about it.

When I first got my Kindle it felt kind of "insubstantial" in my hands. Then I got a nice cover for it and it feels more like a book. I love it!!

Archived