what is up with Florida rental cars?

NoWhiners

Hi all

We will be taking a cruise to Panama Canal next April--we depart Port Everglades on 4/15/11. Just for fun, I checked hotwire and got Hyatt Summerfield Suites for $72 total for night of 4/14.

I decided to check out rental car prices just to see what it costs. We are sort of thinking of flying to MCO, do all the Orlando stuff, then drive down to FLL to meet up with all the rest of the family for the cruise. I was shocked to see prices of $60-80/day for economy cars!!

I know it is way early but should I expect it to be this much as we get closer? We always bid on priceline, so it should be less but we normally get a car for $20 total per day. Is this not going to happen in Florida? Is it because we are picking up/dropping off in different places (although I have done this before and it didn't seem this bad)? Easter is April 24 next year, so I don't think that is the issue.

Any advice/insights would be appreciated.

Mary Lynn

There is usually a drop off charge with car rentals when you return it to a different location. Some add it as a clear drop off charge...some jack up the cents per mile rate to cover it. Your day rate may be higher because of it.

but we normally get a car for $20 total per day.

But I have to ask... where have you ever gotten a rental for $20/day total.... did it come with tires???

I got one from Budget for mid March next year (our spring break) in Orlando for around $30 (all taxes included) for both directions before/after our cruise. I think it was something like $23 each direction for an intermediate car. Went with Budget because of the price and that they will deliver us to the port after dropping off the car.

If you can't find a good price online then i would sugget calling the actual rental kiosk (not the regular 1 800 reservation line). Speaking with them directly at that location (try the Port Canaveral one) might make a difference.

BobT

We always get cars in Las Vegas for less than $20/day total. Not the worlds best, always economy, but they have wheels and are small enough to park in some of the downtown hotels that seem to have smaller parking structures!! Also in Syracuse NY (but not this year. This year it was $90 for 4 days).

We have rented in Florida in the past, but always when I was on business, at $35/day, plus taxes and fees. The add on fees really jack the rates up.

I will keep checking rates. Might be spring break as RuthlessBunny said, but this far out I should be able to find something. There's always Costco!!

KAWS--thanks for the tip on budget.

Thanks

ML

There is usually a drop off charge with car rentals when you return it to a different location. Some add it as a clear drop off charge...some jack up the cents per mile rate to cover it. Your day rate may be higher because of it.

But I have to ask... where have you ever gotten a rental for $20/day total.... did it come with tires???

There are usually not drop off charges in Florida. One way rentals are very common in the Florida rental car market.

It is too early for any deals now, You are paying full rate. At the 2 month before point rental firms will usually start with their deals.

I doing same for Thanksgiving weekend when NOBODY is traveling. Quotes now are 60 to 80 a day. Like last year it will take until 2 month before when they offer specials (Thrift or Dollar)..

PaulMCO

Thanks, this is what I was looking for! Sometimes 2 months out seems too close but I may book thru Costco and cancel when I do better. Will also try bidding on priceline over the next few months--you never know!!

Thanks

ML

There are usually not drop off charges in Florida.

That was true for many years, but drop-off charges are becoming more and more common in Florida as the car companies, like the airlines, are try to maximize their income. You need to check every car company to see what their policy is. And I strongly suggest joining all of their frequent-renter programs, as you will sometimes get deals through them. Avis gave me a one-car upgrade in Texas two weeks ago, and Alamo gave me a 20% discount and a 3-car upgrade in Boston last weekend. Also, try Hotwire and Priceline after getting a general idea of prices on Expedia or Travelocity, though sometimes you can do better booking directly with your member discount. And don't forget your AAA or AARP deals. Complicated? Yeah, but worth the effort if you can save a buck.

We rent cars regularly in florida and are seeing higher rates in general and more 1-way drop off charges or higher daily rates to compensate for same. I check multiple sites, multiple discount codes, Hotwire etc and typically make several cancellable reservations. As the trip date nears, I re-check rates and cancel back-ups. Lots of work - you bet but it has saved me considerable $$$...

RHefley and LUV

I fear you are right--good prices will take a lot more work to find. After this trip, we will mostly be driving (we will be retired) our own car. No more airports, no rental car required.

Thanks for the help and post here if you see/get a good price before next April!!

ML

RHefley and LUV

I fear you are right--good prices will take a lot more work to find. After this trip, we will mostly be driving (we will be retired) our own car. No more airports, no rental car required.

Thanks for the help and post here if you see/get a good price before next April!!

ML

Try this link for the magic card discounts on Dollar and Thrifty rental cars. I found a very good rate for our one way rental post cruise from Port Everglades Ft. Lauderdale to returning at MCO Orlando airport. They even have complimentary shuttle buses to take you from the port to the rental agencies.

http://www.orlandoinfo.com/magicard/index.cfm?searchCategory=transportation

we researched half a dozen rental agencies in Miami/Ft. Lauderdale. Most of them were around $70 a day for a mid-size car. All except Budget, that is. They had it for $30 a day. Pick up Miami, drop off FLL. Can't beat that.

BobT

I will keep checking rates. Might be spring break as RuthlessBunny said, but this far out I should be able to find something. There's always Costco!!

KAWS--thanks for the tip on budget.

ML

Why not book something that you will cancel if you find a better rate later? Yes, you are running into spring break for many schools. Now if you were looking at a date in May, great pricing. We have used hotwire and pl for car rentals and got great rates. But never during peak travel months. Good luck. Don't wait too long, or you will end up with a shortage of cars offered for one way trips.

How did you "check" Hotwire and how do you know it's the Summerfield Suites?

Easy. Go to betterbidding.com or this new site hoteldealsrevealed.com and you can compare the amenities, star level and location to the hotel lists for a particular city found on these sites. You rarely have more than two hotels that match perfectly. Great alternative to those that don't want to risk Priceline's blind bidding. Hotwire is more opaque and less iffy. You're given more info that PL. Prices generally run a bit higher than if you bid, but to me sometimes worth it when we have a specific hotel in mind.

MusicCity

eandj had it right, go to betterbidding and see hotel list (can do this for hotwire or priceline).

We don't usually care which hotel we get, as long as we get the category. We usually go 3.5 star, but vary to add free rebids, never less than 3 star! In this case, it seemed like a great rate so I posted here and got some pretty good guesses, but they were all wrong. The Summerfield is a new property and seems to be coming up a lot on both hotwire and priceline lately.

So, i didn't know until I accepted hotwire offer. Once I found out, I posted on this board to let others know. last time I looked (a few days ago), it was still being offered at this rate (3.5 stars, $59 + tax) for this time in April. Amenities are suite, free airport shuttle, breakfast (free), internet (free), business center. Also it will say "we are still collecting reviews on this location". Also has port shuttle for $8 pp.

enadj--I will book a car in January thru costco. They have great coupons and other deals but they expire 12/31 each year. Then we can cancel when we do better. Good idea, thanks.

Too early to do rental car; just as well, can't book flight yet (southwest) anyway! I will post when I get something.

ML

We are in Florida now. Originally booked a car over a month ago which was a deal - $350 for 11 days. Three months back it was $650. Found a better rate 2 weeks ago and cacelled my original reservation. All were made with Alamo. Final deal was a full size car for 11 days for $228 including all taxes.

To me, the date is too far off to get any deal. Use online coupon codes too.

Shell

that was a god deal for that size and length of time!! I agree its way too early. I was checking hotels on hotwire and got a pretty good deal so took it, then decided to see if my luck might hold for cars. But it didn't--much sadness.

I will do periodic checks of rates, but probably wait until next January, book cancellable reservation with costco, then try PL or discount codes to see if I can do better.

Have fun in Florida!

ML

we got a killer deal thru dollar in October when we cruise from FLL..we're flying into MIA, family of 4. Mid size rental was $46 for a 24 hour rental.

If it is peak season, you will be paying premium prices, but balance that against the convenience factor. $60 is really cheap if you think about the drive from MCO to Port Everglades.

This past evening, using the AARP Travel site I reserved a midsize (Budget) for $48.00 total (one day rental from MIA to FLL) for next Feb 14. A good price but I`ll frequently check for price drops and rebook if rental prices drop.

Rich

grumpah1

We haven't had to provide a cc # thru Costco in the past. What dates are you looking at?

ML

I never went that far to specify. As soon as I saw the CC # field on the reservation form, I aborted the transaction.

Archived