new savings on the PG

Texed, we will finally meet up if we do. We were both scheduled to do a cruise together some years ago - I think it was a new year's on celebrity but we baled and went on the PG instead.

Miriam

I remember. Hopefully, I won't run you off this time. :D

Also, we have some friends from California that are suppose to join us on the June 29, 2011 cruise.

PG Cruises is now offering the $300 on board credit with the AMEX Plat plus champagne and also a pearl worth $250.00 In addition to this PG cruises is now offering a $500 onboard credit for June 29th 2011 if you book by Sept 15/2010.

This really ups the ante and pays for a couple of excursions.

PG Cruises is now offering the $300 on board credit with the AMEX Plat plus champagne and also a pearl worth $250.00 In addition to this PG cruises is now offering a $500 onboard credit for June 29th 2011 if you book by Sept 15/2010.

It looks as though we need to settle everything before Sept. 15th. :)

We're new to the PG and Tahiti, but have sailed everything from Silverseas to NCL, Galapogos, Antartica, Europe, Carribean, etc

We were initially interested in the 10 day Princess Itin, held a suite, but as we lurked here on CC, and thought more about it, having really enjoyed the Prince Albert 2 and the Xpedition, aka the small ship all inclusive but no formality experience, we took the PG plunge, basic C Cabin

The promotion for free air, or 2-1 air helped, but I have to admit after careful examination, I'm not sure mathimatically its much of a savings - On one hand they offer a cruise only fair crediting you $570.00 to $625.00 per person on the price, but if you take PG's air, they add that back on and then also charge you the air, so in reality, there's no free air, and even the 2-1 is still $1,250 each, which in my mind is an ok price, but absolutley not in any way a 2-1 savings

Is our/my math off?

Seems like using AA points and not using PG air, is the only real savings here, assuming of course one has the points and available seats, not already blocked off by PG and Princess

jc n tara

toronto

Oct 23 2010 PG

Trouble is jc, that if you look at airfares booked independently, they usually seem to be higher. Then you do have to find out about availability, since as you mentioned, the cruiselines have block bookings. Of course, there's always Air France, which some people prefer.

Oh, and if you wanted real savings, opt for a window suite--a balcony, although wonderful, is a stiff upgrade in terms of price, and you're hardly ever in your room, at least in my experience.

I agree a PG coach fare of $1,250.00 is a potential savings over what one can buy independ, on average $400.00 USD plus each, plus $70.00 in transfers, and a $120.00 day room on the return (if nec), which is nice, and a solid reason to buy PG Air, but it is absolutley NOT 'free air' or is a '2 for 1 airfare' savings, as advertised, you do not need a calculator to see that its not even close

I'm wondering how many mathimatically challenged pax think they got this great promotional savings, and I wonder how long PG Cruises will continue to market these savings as more people catch on that there is in fact a small savings, but really no free air, or 2 for 1 savings

Food for thought...

jc

This is, unfortunately, an all too common game that many of the cruise lines seem to play. Advertise a big discount or free something or another, but forget to mention that the discount is on a higher fare and the net cost is about the same.

MTN Discount

Agreed - Its old school marketing - Not stopping us from taking the PG on Oct 23, but it is stopping us from buying PG Air - Our solution was to take the discount ($570.00 each) on the Cruise itself, and buy ATN Air via AA Points, and YYZ-LAX air via points (course you have to have the points - lol)

However, it does make us wonder about buying a 4 night pre cruise package from PG, whether similarily we could do better booking it ourselves

jc

toronto

I am usually a completely independent traveler (I booked almost all my own shore excursions for my 8/14 cruise). I booked the pre and post hotels through PG because I just did not want to hassle with anything. I know I overpaid for the hotels -- but I got completely taken care of with transfers, baggage handling, meals, day rooms etc from the time I got off the plane in Tahiti to the time the boarded again 17 days later. I don't regret it for a minute.

I am cruising again in November -- back on my own. LOL.

• 2 weeks later...
I am usually a completely independent traveler (I booked almost all my own shore excursions for my 8/14 cruise). I booked the pre and post hotels through PG because I just did not want to hassle with anything. I know I overpaid for the hotels -- but I got completely taken care of with transfers, baggage handling, meals, day rooms etc from the time I got off the plane in Tahiti to the time the boarded again 17 days later. I don't regret it for a minute.
We're also considering booking a pre-cruise OWB package with PGC. Like you, we would normally buy it direct but it's actually not much more to go thru PGC & a lot more convenient. Quick question: does PGC still charge their $100 pp air deviation fee to change flight dates for a pre-cruise stay booked thru them?

No. If you book one of their pre-cruise or post-cruise packages, and their air, there's no deviation fees.

I have not found that the packages provided in the past were particularly over-priced, by the way. Especially not after you factor-in the deviation fee and cost of transfers.

Thanks Wendy. Good to know that PG waives the deviation fees if you do their air with a pre-cruise hotel.

I agree with you on pricing of PG air/hotel packages. I costed out buying our air independently (LAX-Papeete-LAX segment) as well as booking a pre-cruise stay directly with the property. There was not even $200 pp savings & we'd be stuck paying air deviation fees as well as costs of airport/ship/hotel transfers. Makes the decision easy!

I don't regret having done it all through PG -- it was wonderful for once not having to deal with any of the details -- just pick me up and take me there - no hassles.

The only thing to consider are the hotel choices - pre cruise the IC Tahiti was probably the best bet. Nice resort and close to town for shopping and near the airport. Post cruise I think there are better options in Moorea than the IC. Not that the IC Moorea was bad - just that there are other options which I really never explored and if I were to do a Moorea stay again I might choose a different resort. I am not a Hilton fan, but many raved about it. Others loved the Sofitel. I probably will do a 14 day cruise next time and just one night pre cruise at the IC Tahiti. I'd rather be on the ship. LOL

By the way, the Tahaa resort is "to die for" gorgeous. We snorkeled in front of it on our excursion with Bruno. Breathtaking locale. I consider it perhaps one of the most beautiful spots we were in among all those other beautiful spots.

Pacheco, I agree with you about the hotel choices. In "the old days", there were Pearl resorts on offer, which I would favour, having stayed in one. Plus on Moorea folks talk about the Hilton as being very nice, and the Sofitel too.

There were also more choices of island--we did Manihi, for instance, in 2000, and Huahine was on offer as well.

So if you want something off the beaten track, or something simpler, then you're on your own, but that means on your own for inter-island air travel and transfers as well which is a pain. The one time we rolled our own was a 1-night stay on Tahiti, at the Royal Tahitien--at that point there were no 1-night pre-cruise packages available, so it made sense.

Archived