villefranche to nice by train; Matisse or Chagall mus?

artistcleveland

Taking our first Med. cruise in the fall and just started researching the ship-arranged port tours. I'm not crazy about their choices. It seems they take too long getting where they're going, with not enough time in the place.

I remember a little high school French which might help get by on our own.

How easy/complicated is it to take train to Nice on a Sunday? and take the bus to the museums? I love Matisse, but Rick Steve rates the Chagall, who I'm lukewarm on, better.

What would be a good 2nd stop to round out the day? How is Villefranche?

Thanks!

ps--We keep reading about pickpockets in all the port cities--have people been "picked"?

We are leaving two weeks today for our Med cruise. We stop in Monaco. I researched both the trains and buses and everything is doable. Our problem is timing. We are in port from 5 am to 2 pm. We wanted to see the Promenades des Anglais, Cours Saleya, and the Chagall Museum. It seemed a bit of a challenge since the museum opens at 10 and we'd have to catch a bus right back after the museum. I wound up finding a driver/guide service that will give us four hours for 270 euros. The van holds eight. At $42 per person for door to door service and not having to worry about connections, it was worth it for us. If I had more time, I would have taken public transportation and would be spending more time and less money in Nice. Good luck with your planning and avoid the ship sponsored excursions if you can.

Villefranche to Nice (or Monaco) is really easy, cheap and quick by train. The train station is very close to where the tenders drop you (within a few hundred yards) and the trains run frequently. The only problem you may encounter is that you'll be there on a Sunday and the service is limited.

We were in Villefranche on a Sunday, wanting to go to Monaco, which is the same line as Nice, but in the opposite direction. We had just missed a train and the next one was over 1 hour later. There's a very helpful information desk in the hall by the tender and they advised catching the bus. It's about 1/2 a mile up a steepish hill but the buses run just from the top of the hill. There was even a little flea market by the bus stands. Alternatively you could wander around Villefranche until the next train is due, it's a nice little place

This link will give you more info on catching the bus http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/France/Provence_Alpes_Cote_dAzur/Villefranche_sur_Mer-83093/Transportation-Villefranche_sur_Mer-BR-1.html

We caught the bus there but caught the train back (remember to get the train to Villefranche sur mer)

because the setting on the hill in a park is beautiful....also,can walk to some ruins while there...my hubby must be forced to visit museums in general,but he enjoyed the area and its only 1 hr.or less to see whole thing...the Matisse is only 5 mins down hill,but area around is not as pretty....we took HOHO bus to get around,rather than taxi,was great....we stayed there 3 days after a river cruise and had plenty to see and do...:D

The bus we caught was very crowded, although this may have been because there were no trains running at the time. We stood most of the way, although the journey was short. The trains were not at all crowded, double decker trains with lots of seats.

Taking our first Med. cruise in the fall and just started researching the ship-arranged port tours. I'm not crazy about their choices. It seems they take too long getting where they're going, with not enough time in the place.

I remember a little high school French which might help get by on our own.

How easy/complicated is it to take train to Nice on a Sunday? and take the bus to the museums? I love Matisse, but Rick Steve rates the Chagall, who I'm lukewarm on, better.

What would be a good 2nd stop to round out the day? How is Villefranche?

Thanks!

ps--We keep reading about pickpockets in all the port cities--have people been "picked"?

I may be the only person in the universe who does not worship Rick Steves (I am insanely jealous of his success however) What interests you is more important than what someone else thinks. So go where your heart leads you.

Transport in the cote D'azur is easy and a little French will go a long way, you try it and folks will help you in English. Remeber in small shops to always have a Bonjour on your lips as you enter, it is only polite (and when you leave an au revoir is good as well.)

Villefranche is a charming place with some nice pastry shops and a nice little park overlooking the harbor.

Pickpockets are pretty much everywhere that there are tourists. Tourists are easy marks because there is little chance of a successful prosecution. A little vigilance will send them for someone else however so be careful and when distracted make sure that you are protected. When reading a map step up against a building to protect your back and have your companion watching while you study. Pickpocketing is a crime of opportunity, don't give them one and you will be OK.

I may be the only person in the universe who does not worship Rick Steves .

I will watch his shows but I don't worship him either. I still have nightmares seeing him get that Turkish Bath in Istanbul. :eek: Wealth TV, which we get on the HD band on FIOS, does a show covering the same Mediterranean ports. While most of the shows were done in 2004, the HD is great and they get down to basics.

It's funny that you believe pickpockets are everywhere tourists are. I don't see that as that much of a problem in the US as it in Europe.

It's funny that you believe pickpockets are everywhere tourists are. I don't see that as that much of a problem in the US as it in Europe.

I will grant you Europe seems to have more than it's share and the US, New Zealand Canada and Australia less, but they are around and they always prey on the unsuspecting or clueless. I talked to a guy once in Paris, his whole tour group had been hit. Seems they thought there was safety in numbers and forgot to watch out. . .

Just got back from Villefrench. Here's whst we did.

In Villefrench we took the #81 bus to Nice. The bus lets you off right across the street from old town. The old town was real neat to wander around in. There were all kinds of stores. We found the market and looked at all the stalls. We then headed to the beach. The water is really beautiful although the beach is very rocky. There is a very long promenade. We climbed up to the old castle on the hill overlooking the beach. The views are beautiful. We walked down the other side to the harbor and caught the 100 bus back to Villefrench. Both the 100 and 81 bus run between Villefrench and Nice but the #81 bus is less crowded because it is more of a local bus. They are both 1 euro. After lunch we went to the beach in Villefrench. It’s a nice sandy beach an easy walk from the tender dock.

Here is the link to my pictures.

http://cid-1e98e90214e77bf9.photos.live.com/browse.aspx/Villefrench%20%20%20Magic%20Cruise%20May%202010

We did a tour of the Cote d'Azure last year so I can't comment on transport issues as we had a private bus. What I can comment on, though, is that the Chagall museum is fabulous and inspiring whilst the Mattisse museum was very disappointing. Although it was interesting, don't expect to see lots of Mattisses as all the good ones are in major museums around the world.

Another bonus is that you are welcome to take photography at the Chagall museum

Agree with Moyaroo on 2 points. I'm not a huge Rick Steves fan either but his directions for getting around are excellent and he is good at prioritizing and saving time. But his restaurant and hotel recommendations are generally fairly so-so. I also agree with Moyaroo that you should definitely see what you have an interest in and that should be your priority. If you love Matisse then you should make a beeline for the museum. I personally think the Matisse and Chagall museums are about the only things worth going to Nice for. It's a grimy, busy city.

I personally think the Matisse and Chagall museums are about the only things worth going to Nice for. It's a grimy, busy city.

I was looking forward to seeing Cours Saleya and Promenades des Anglais. Is this a waste of time? I wasn't thinking of spending more than an hour of our 3 hours in the Chagall Museum and I really don't want to see the Matisse Museum. Sound like we're in for a big disappointment.

The market is interesting but not a must see kind of thing. Be sure to go in the morning as it usually closes after lunch except for on the flower days. The promenade is nice too and just steps away from the market. I would just drive through the promenade. Both these areas a very touristy so somewhat cleaner and tidier than the rest of the city. You really could skip this city and still have plenty of fabulous towns to see on the Cote D'Azure.

We just got back. The train was not running. We took the bus from Villefranche to Monaco, to Nice, and back. The bus was very crowded, but if you are able to stand, not a problem. It was a good way to go. We wanted to go to the museums in Nice, but a couple of our party are elderly, and it was hot. So, by the time we got to Nice, they just wanted a cold drink and to get back to the ship. As it was, they had a long day. The only thing I would do differently is see the museums, but I guess that gives me something to do next time.

(People were helpful on the bus with our wheelchair, too. A seat was given up for the person in it, which was much appreciated. )

Ohiodoglover

I was looking forward to seeing Cours Saleya and Promenades des Anglais. Is this a waste of time? I wasn't thinking of spending more than an hour of our 3 hours in the Chagall Museum and I really don't want to see the Matisse Museum. Sound like we're in for a big disappointment.

The area inland of the Cours Saleya is the old city, very interesting just to walk around the little streets. The restaurants in the Cours Saleya itself are pretty touristy. If the flower market is on, that's really fun, and you could take flowers back for your room if it's convenient (we did this in the morning before we drove to Monte Carlo for embarkation.)

Archived