How to hang over the door organizer?

ms simba

Any suggestions on how to hang the over the door organizer when all it comes with is grommets (holes) at the top?

I have two over the door organizers: one which is heavier and comes with a hangar attached and one that is considerably lighter but does not come with any way to attach it anywhere.

If I attach the over the door organizer to the bathroom door, can I still get the door closed?

Skip it....you'll have plenty of space without it unless you have 5 in your cabin and really need to conserve space. I take a collapsible cube that I set on the desk and it contains all of the nuisance items that get in the way. Inexpensive and easy to pack.

The shoe hanger was suppose to come with hooks that go through the grommets. Double check the pockets just in case.

I have to agree. You can't close the bathroom door with it and unless you hang it on a hanger in the closet even then it will just drag on the floor. I like the small collapsible cube for the desk. I take a small collapsible laundry bag for dirty clothes.

Theresa

I hung one over the bathroom door on NCL last summer just fine with the hooks that it came with (they were, as someone suggested, inside one of the pockets when I bought it.) I did not impact the function of the door at all.

We used every bit of it - with a teenager who has multiple skin products, a thousand small electronic things, and just a mess of stuff, we needed it so I didn't feel overwhelmed by stuff on every horizontal surface.

If you have kids or teens, they are very helpful. I don't know what to do about the one that only has the grommets. I got a mesh one at the Dollar Store and it only has one S hook. We hook one on the hook in the bathroom and one in the closet. Great for holding sunglasses, small electronics, sunscreen, battery charger & cord, etc. Wouldn't cruise without one.

We like our over the door organizer. Our heavier one came with hooks, but the small, cheap light ones from the dollar store did not. I take the hooks from the original one. Some ships my bath door closes fine with those hooks, others not a good fit. Then I use the closet door. You could try suction cup hooks or magnetic ones if you keep your organizer very light.

Not sure how other posters can be advise against it if they don't know which cabin, which ship, how many people, how you pack, etc. DH loves ours and would be sad if I left it at home.

Even though I could get everything in the cubby holes I would rather have everything right there in the organizer. I don't like to have to search drawers to find the one I put the chargers in or where I put the sunscreen.

I hang it somewhere in the room since we put everything in it not just bathroom items.

We brought one once - never used it & had room to spare in the bathroom and on the dresser/desk in the cabin. Unless you have 3 or more to a cabin, you will have loads of space for your toiletries and personal items.

The one we brought (and didn't use) did not allow the bathroom door to close once it was hung up anyway, so it was more of a pain in the butt than anything else. :rolleyes:

You will just have to try it & see how it works for you. With us - not so well. You may love it...:)

we use it at home, hang it up in our bathroom and study and as we come across stuff for the cruise we put in the pockets--that way you can see what you have...

on the cruise it goes over the bathroom door (outside) and works great!!!

wouldnt go without it!!!--only 2 of us but GREAT organizer!!!

Even though I could get everything in the cubby holes I would rather have everything right there in the organizer. I don't like to have to search drawers to find the one I put the chargers in or where I put the sunscreen.

I hang it somewhere in the room since we put everything in it not just bathroom items.

My reason is the same Keksie gives. On the Inspiration, we had drawers and I did put stuff in them. However, the lower drawers were not as accessible to me as I have a bad back, am older, and am overweight (just was put on Byetta and have dropped 15 pounds!!). So I thought I'd try the over the door organizer. A different group suggested I try 3M Command hooks. The kind where you can remove the hook after using it. Anyone have experience with them? By the way My Dollar Store organizer did not come with hooks.

By the way My Dollar Store organizer did not come with hooks.

maybe some hooks at like home depot or lowes?!

i got one of mine at dollar-store and the other at ross's both came with hooks...i would just go back and see if they are all like that at your store and if not tell them you got one without hooks...

I bought a couple of those "Command" hooks that stick on with some putty-like stuff and then remove with out leaving residue or holes. I will be able to hang mine anywhere. I may not need it but I will bring it just because I have so much respect for this board and there are so many recommendations for it. If I don't use it, oh well, it weighs about 6 ounces and takes up very little room in the suitcase.

We bought an over the door organizer at the dollar store, it did come with an s-hook. Although I admittedly over-packed :o as far as clothing and shoes, I do not regret packing this item! It was perfect for putting all the travel size toiletries in, and our bathroom door shut just fine. :)

We travelled with two small children in our cabin, so the extra storage from a door hanger was great for all the little things!

I hung ours on the inside of one of the closet doors. It was too wide, so I just folded one edge over. It came with hooks, but command hooks would work fine too. I also stuck the bottom down with a piece of duct tape.

I liked not having stuff all over the surfaces, and knowing where the baby wipes or the suncream was at all times make life much easier in a small space. The door hangers are cheap, so bring it and if you need more space you'll have it to use. If you have ample space without it, leave it in your bag. Easy!

I bought one for our upcomming cruise. DH and I will be in a GS so we won't need it BUT I have 2 teen girls shareing a balcony room. Hmmm have you ever seen the HOME Bathroom of 2 teen girls :eek: ?? I am thinking it will be VERY helpful :D !

Archived