Silversea v. Seabourn comparison from 1st timer on SS

Marylebone37

I really appreciated this review

so we are staying on the Whisper/Shadow because of the double sinks. To read your comment on the Spirit's bathroom reinforced my decision not to try out the Spirit .

Canadian Kate, our experience is that the bathroom on the Spirit is much better than the Whisper/Shadow. The shower is VASTLY better, which is most important to us. The shelves are better. We have never used bathroom sinks at the same time, so the number is irrelevant to us, though we don't like the raised sink on the Spirit. So, to each his or her own. We prefer the Whisper/Shadow overall as ships, but to us the bathrooms are strongly on the Spirit's side.

WellSeasoned: thanks for that clarification. I agree that a large shower is really important. We had a hotel bathroom in London that was so small one had to decide if the door was staying open before one sat down because once you were seated the door was jammed open beside you or closed with your knees. On the other hand, the shower was HUGE so that tiny bathroom was redeemed (plus the room rate and friendly staff helped redeem the hotel as well!)

Our tub on Silversea is only used for feet refreshing and drying clothes over (all our travel clothes are hang to dry so I need space to hang things on the line.) But we do use the two sinks and that's what has kept us off the Cloud.

It really is a personal choice so just saying "the bathroom was awful" isn't ideal, saying why you didn't like the bathroom is important because what I dislike may not bother you. And mentioning the bathrooms (as the original OP did) was really important since most travel reviews gloss over them except to tell us how they are equipped.

I really appreciated this review

so we are staying on the Whisper/Shadow because of the double sinks. To read your comment on the Spirit's bathroom reinforced my decision not to try out the Spirit .

Canadian Kate, our experience is that the bathroom on the Spirit is much better than the Whisper/Shadow. The shower is VASTLY better, which is most important to us. The shelves are better. We have never used bathroom sinks at the same time, so the number is irrelevant to us, though we don't like the raised sink on the Spirit. So, to each his or her own. We prefer the Whisper/Shadow overall as ships, but to us the bathrooms are strongly on the Spirit's side.

TOTALLY agree with Wellseasoned about the Spirit's bathrooms. LOVED the shower - great improvement!

Thank you Stines...that was one of the most well thought out, fair minded reviews I have seen on Cruise Critic. It's obvious you took much time and thought in preparing it.

I am new to this board as I have just begun exploring other cruise lines and Silverseas was high on my list to investigate. We are a couple in our mid 60's, retired and are about to take our 7th trip on Queen Mary 2, a ship we have loved for many reasons.

Recently however, I am hearing that there seem to be many changes afoot on QM2 that have been disturbing to us with respect to our onboard experience. In August I will see for myself how much of what we have been hearing is true. It's been enough to make me consider other lines and this particular review has been most helpful to me.

Certainly the size differential would be a dramatic change from what we are used to. In some ways I look forward to that idea as I cut my crossing teeth long ago on a 15,000 ton ocean liner and have loved that ship and those crossings to this day.

So thank you again for taking the time to prepare this. Your format and presentation was exceptional. And thanks to all the others who contributed their knowledge to this thread. It's been a good start for me to learn more about the line from those who know it well.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

July 30, 2009....transatlantic again...some “Affairs” just get better

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....the “Affair” takes a sunny detour when Penny meets a Princess

Aug 14, 2010....the “Affair” returns to Norway, all the way to the top!

Certainly the size differential would be a dramatic change from what we are used to. In some ways I look forward to that idea as I cut my crossing teeth long ago on a 15,000 ton ocean liner and have loved that ship and those crossings to this day.

Penny - Since you seem to like Cunard Line, was the 15,000 ton ship the Media or Parthia?

POol/deck bar (importance 5)

QUOTE:

''''''" Silversea had the premium-brand liquors out of sight in a cabinet underneath the bar, although available if requested. A cost-cutting move I’m sure. Seabourn on the other hand presented all options to its guests within view "'''''''

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If SS cruise line policy for all ships, indeed a cost-cutting move and a red flag of service decline that seeps to other areas. Hiding premium-brand liquors to deny choice on availability, is a common strategy in the mass hospitality industry, a low-end barkeeps tactic and tacky for Silversea.

I have cruised SS something like 200 days, and have never observed any "hiding" of premium brand liquors.

I thought it was very strange indeed. They did display a full range of liquors, but if you requested let's say the Grey Goose vodka for your martini or bloody mary, they had to open a cabinet and take it out. This was the case at the pool bar, "The Bar", and upstairs in the observation lounge (where they served afternoon tea). It's got to be cost-cutting move; otherwise, I don't see any logical explanation for this behavior/procedure.

Penny - Since you seem to like Cunard Line, was the 15,000 ton ship the Media or Parthia?

Emtbsam....No, it was the SS Stavangerfjord the grand old gal of the old Norwegian Amerika Line. Just under 15,000 tons she crossed for 45 years and brought many Norwegians to new lives over here. When a Norwegian went "home" they went on a Norwegian ship. I last crossed on her in 1962 the year before she went to the breakers and broke the hearts of those who loved her. Norwegians called her the "Queen of the Atlantic"....I guess the Cunard Queens might question that, but to us, she was.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

July 30, 2009....transatlantic again...some “Affairs” just get better

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....the “Affair” takes a sunny detour when Penny meets a Princess

Aug 14, 2010....the “Affair” returns to Norway, all the way to the top!

I'm not sure I understand the point Stines is making about the availability of premium liquors. If the variety is being displayed, including "Grey Goose" and one is able to ask for a "Grey Goose Martini", what difference does it make that the bottle used to make the drink may be stored in a cabinet (rather than taking it off the shelf). Also, isn't one able to order up the premium liquors to stock their stateroom? I can understand if one orders a generic vodka martini without specifying brand that the bartender will use a less premium brand, but if the premium brand is asked for and delivered, I'm just not sure what the distinction is....

Dear friends:

On the Spirit last month, we requested a bottle of Stolichnaya for our room. The butler brought a bottle of Grey Goose and said they were out of Stoli until the next day when the ship was going to be re-stocked before departing Venice (it was an overnight in Venice).

The next day the butler brought us the bottle of Stoli.

I don't think they are trying to cut costs on liquor. Where it was obvious to us they are cutting costs (as has happened with all cruise lines) was with their staff. I hadn't been on Silversea in awhile and gone are the days when all of the stewardesses were from Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Slovenia, etc. and all of the waiters were from Eastern and Western European countries. Now the predominant demographics are the Phillippines, Indonesia and India.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I have cruised SS something like 200 days, and have never observed any "hiding" of premium brand liquors.

MuseCruiser, there is a thread on the Seabourn board, "SB or SS: What's the difference?" which seeks to isolate the distinctions (if any) that attract their loyal passengers. It is a thread en parallel to Stines' effort, or perhaps a complement to it. Not a matter of which line is better, but what is the"soul" of each line. Perhaps veteran SSers might want to register their sense of what makes SS unique. I am the OP, and my cruise experience is admittedly slim, and it does not include any SS passages.Still, it is clear to me that while some passengers choose freely between both lines--based on itineraries, perhaps--others are fervent in their loyalty and adhere to one. The views of seasonned SS sailors would be welcome.

Stines, again I must repeat what I said in post #33 on this thread, that I have never seen hiding of premium liquors on SS, and I have about the same number of days as MuseCruiser, who has also not seen this. As I said before, you must ASK if you don't see what you want. If you never ASK, you will miss much more that SS has to offer than premium liquors.

Stines, again I must repeat what I said in post #33 on this thread, that I have never seen hiding of premium liquors on SS, and I have about the same number of days as MuseCruiser, who has also not seen this. As I said before, you must ASK if you don't see what you want. If you never ASK, you will miss much more that SS has to offer than premium liquors.

I have a photo from March on the Cloud of Oliver @ the Bar ;in the background Dewars,Jameson,Johnnny Black,Grey Goose.....unfortunately I am computer illiterate and don't know how to send it:)

You got it right well seasoned !

While this s probably none of my business since I have not as yet sailed on SS or SB, I will comment nevertheless. The OP had three cruises on Seabourn prior to trying out Silversea. As difficult as one may try not to compare the "new" cruise line with the one you like and are familiar with, it may be more difficult than one may think.

I think that the style of the review is the best I have seen on CC. However, it is difficult for me (who is currently booked on a SS cruise), to put much value in a review from someone with a Seabourn background. I, too, will do a "review", but, plan on warning the reader that I have a bias before I step foot on the ship.

I have a photo from March on the Cloud of Oliver @ the Bar ;in the background Dewars,Jameson,Johnnny Black,Grey Goose.....unfortunately I am computer illiterate and don't know how to send it:)

You got it right well seasoned !

take a look at Terry from Ohio's pix showing the liquor at the bar. all the good stuff

Travelcat2,

I have to say I disagree completely that it is hard to be objective but one has to be willing to be objective. However, you see way too much of that inability on these boards, so if one is so loyal to a particular cruise line that it is impossible to be objective perhaps one should refrain from reviewing and comparing period.

Travelcat2, I have cruised both SS and RSSC and I find I agree with wripro. I lurk as well as post and, no disrespect, I think your unabashed plumping for RSSC is somewhat over the top. Both lines are terrific and it's hard to say which is better. Either one will be more than satisfactory for most cruisers. The key, imho is to keep your expectations reasonable. As an example don't expect all service people on RSSC Voyager to know your name--it's too big. Likewise don't expect Broadway quality entertainment on SS except Silver Spirit.

Imho one must be reasonable about each ship and the people who take care of you. Each has a lot to be proud of.:)

Travelcat2, I have cruised both SS and RSSC and I find I agree with wripro. I lurk as well as post and, no disrespect, I think your unabashed plumping for RSSC is somewhat over the top. Both lines are terrific and it's hard to say which is better. Either one will be more than satisfactory for most cruisers. The key, imho is to keep your expectations reasonable. As an example don't expect all service people on RSSC Voyager to know your name--it's too big. Likewise don't expect Broadway quality entertainment on SS except Silver Spirit.

Imho one must be reasonable about each ship and the people who take care of you. Each has a lot to be proud of.:)

I also agree with wripro. Many people who post have the inability to be objective. While it has not yet been determined if I am one of those people, I have no plans to review SS on the SS board or review area of CruiseCritic. I fully respect the fact that I am on the Silversea board and the people who are here -- whether reading or lurking. We plan on having a great time on the Silver Spirit and hope to appreciate the differences rather than be critical of them. We expect SS to be "different" rather than better or worse than similar lines:)

Travelcat2,

I have to say I disagree completely that it is hard to be objective but one has to be willing to be objective. However, you see way too much of that inability on these boards, so if one is so loyal to a particular cruise line that it is impossible to be objective perhaps one should refrain from reviewing and comparing period.

Henry, I agree with you.

While we might have a line that we favor we have been please with all of our luxury cruises.

When we got back last summer I posted a review about our experience with Silversea and the thrust was to review the various aspects of the ship and the overall experience without the need to compare the various components with the other lines.

I always remind myself that there are very few people in this world who will ever cruise on a luxury cruise line. They all have strengths.

Life is short. Each day tragedy strikes others.

When we go to a restaurant we dont' spend the meal comparing it to another restaurant. When we see a movie or read a book or go to the theatre we don't waste time or take away from the event by spending time comparing it to something else. We have learned on our cruises in order to get the most out of them we focus on that cruise. We realize that each line has some attributes that might be better than the other one. But we also realize that we are very fortunate to sail on luxury lines and that as they say "life is good".

Keith

Henry,

I always remind myself that there are very few people in this world who will ever cruise on a luxury cruise line. They all have strengths.

Keith

It is for the reason you mentioned that reviews are so important. Going on a luxury cruise line is quite a bit different, IMO, than dining in a restaurant that may or may not be what you are looking for. Some people save for years to be able to take even one luxury cruise. They read these boards to get an idea of which cruise line is the best fit. It is those people who look at things such as balconies, size of the suite, dining venues and definitely the passenger capacity of the ship (which, as you know, affects many other things).

As you always say, it is great that we all have choices. CC makes it easier to make the choice with multiple reviews of each cruise line.

It is for the reason you mentioned that reviews are so important. Going on a luxury cruise line is quite a bit different, IMO, than dining in a restaurant that may or may not be what you are looking for. Some people save for years to be able to take even one luxury cruise. They read these boards to get an idea of which cruise line is the best fit. It is those people who look at things such as balconies, size of the suite, dining venues and definitely the passenger capacity of the ship (which, as you know, affects many other things).

As you always say, it is great that we all have choices. CC makes it easier to make the choice with multiple reviews of each cruise line.

You may want to read my review. It is posted on the CC review board from I believe August of 2009. I focused on the cruise line and the ship. Also, added in a few items about similarities of luxury lines and some differences. I think it got the points across.

At the same time in the end what counts the most is what each person thinks.

I have seen movies that the so called critics loved and I didn't like them and I have seen movies that the so called experts didn't like and enjoyed them.

Finally, what I am trying to say is that I know some folks who get happiness from spending their time finding fault with everything.

The bottom line is that one can spend their time on a cruise comparing cruise lines. I spend my time enjoying the cruise and making the most of the trip. As you say the costs are high. So I don't waste my time in comparisons. I try to find the best from each cruise and focus on that.

Keith

Archived