Has other people felt vibrations on Century?

Gingee

A lot of the older ship have vibrations. The Mercury is famous for the ones in the back of the ship. Cabins in the rear and the back of the dining room have a lot of vibrations. It bothers some people more than others.

A lot of the older ship have vibrations. The Mercury is famous for the ones in the back of the ship. Cabins in the rear and the back of the dining room have a lot of vibrations. It bothers some people more than others.

Century has them in the aft area and parts of the dining room. The vibration in the aft cabins is expecially noticeable when docking early in the morning as it will wake you up.

I loved the vibrations on both the Mercury and the Century. It reminded me I was on vacation on an ocean liner! The feel of the engines were always present in the dining rooms on both ships.

Rich

The vibrations, to me, aren't a problem at all. You'll feel them some, but usually not a big deal - on a ship at sea making maneuvers. These are constant vibrations, mainly wen maneuvering sharply as when entering a port and along side the pier. So it's short-term and kind of neat when you think about it. Not like an aircraft hitting turbulence, more of a low-freq vibration.

If you are concerned, go foward some.

Denny

There is vibration and also some rattling from it. We were stuffing face cloths in the ceiling panels so we could sleep at night and we always knew when we were docking in port early in the morning.

We were midship, and I wasn't bothered at all by any vibration from the ship. In the dining room, especially when pulling away from the dock though - it was quite noticeable. It could rattle your teeth, but it didn't last that long.

I loved the vibrations on both the Mercury and the Century. It reminded me I was on vacation on an ocean liner! The feel of the engines were always present in the dining rooms on both ships.

Rich

The vibrations in the aft cabins are not just the feel of the engines, they are very noticeable and can actually be scary if you are not prepared for them at 5:00A.M, when docking. I love the Century, my favorite Celebrity ship but I would not book again in the aft...The whole room shakes and rattles...The feel of the engines and the vibrations in the dining room are nothing compared to this...

The vibrations in the aft cabins are not just the feel of the engines, they are very noticeable and can actually be scary if you are not prepared for them at 5:00A.M, when docking. I love the Century, my favorite Celebrity ship but I would not book again in the aft...The whole room shakes and rattles...The feel of the engines and the vibrations in the dining room are nothing compared to this...

We were midships on the Mercury and didn't feel much vibration in the cabin. On the Century, we were in an aft Century Suite which was pretty quite too. Maybe this was because we were on an upper deck on the Century.

Someone mentioned that they thought Century vibrated a lot. Has anyone else had that experience and does it matter where your room is as far as that is concerned?

Just ret'd from the Century on the 15th of June, and we had a forward cabin on the PH deck. Honestly, the vibration was minimal in my opinion. I was told that the higher and more forward you are the more vibration and motion you feel. I slept like a baby, and didn;t have any issues....

Not sure if Summit is same class as Century but we were just on Summit AFT 7199 and it vibrated terribly on one night. It was the night we left Bermuda and the boat was hauling a$$. My husband's job routinely takes him out on subs for a week at a time and he has to "hot cot" where ever he can...that doesn't bother him but that one night on the summit was so bad he could not sleep.

Jenn

We had a mid ship cabin on Century and did not feel the vibrations at all. However, the MDR was a nightmare, vibrations so bad you heard everything clattering together. Made it uncomfortable to eat at night, we did notice a lot of people who did not show up subsequent nights. The vibration was so bad that 2/5 nights we did have to leave in the middle of dinner.

On our Amazon cruise (Royal Princess - I know, wrong cruise line) we had an aft cabin and we thought the LOUD banging noise was the propeller hitting the logs (ton's of 'em in the river). We mentioned the noise to the room steward - no real answer. Talked to the captain and he said it was the rudder because they were on manual steering (on the river portion). The noise went away once on the ocean. Other guests could hear it midship. Dinner was very annoying since the main dinning is right at the stern. Never really confirmed what is was. Made for restless nights. So... the noise/vibration can really be an issue.

Jim/Sharmon

We had a mid ship cabin on Century and did not feel the vibrations at all. However, the MDR was a nightmare, vibrations so bad you heard everything clattering together. Made it uncomfortable to eat at night, we did notice a lot of people who did not show up subsequent nights. The vibration was so bad that 2/5 nights we did have to leave in the middle of dinner.

Perhaps the other people had other plans (like Murano's) or didn't like their tablemates....lol

We sailed on Century in 2009 and 2010, never again. The vibration was awful and the service and chaos in the dining room wasn't up to par for Celebrity, our favorite cruiseline. We've sailed on a bunch of ships on a number of lines and we'll never cruise on the Century again.

We had aft cabin on top floor and the rattling and vibrations bothered me, would not do that again. Also on the aft, right above us was the Lido or whatever the buffet is called and smokers were dropping their lit cigarettes on our balcony, perhaps now that has changed!:mad:

The cruise ports were great, I would not sail Century again even after the refit. Do not get a cabin "under" a restaurant.

Hi

We're just back from the TA on Century and had an aft cabin on deck 10, there was a slight problem with sugar bags, serviettes and ash as it was quite windy the first few days but the balcony was worth it and would definately go for aft again. There was vibration but only really when docking and setting sail but wasn't a problem.

As for the MDR we never felt any vibration at all.

Anyone notice vibrations/noise in the Sunset Veranda cabins, up on the Sports Deck? Since they are located above the Sunset Bar, it looks like they are set back a little further than the other afts -- if that makes any difference.

BTW -- Gingee, thanks for starting the various threads about Century. We will be sailing on her for the first time in 2012 (SD to Hawaii), so I'm happy for any info I can get! :D

Archived