Mendenhall - East Glacier Loop Trail

markpark

Does one see additional views of Mendenhall Glacier on the East Glacier Loop Trail that are worth a 3.5 mi hike? I have read and heard of the "unofficial trail" to the waterfall. Is this from the waterfall the closest view possible? DW and I enjoy hiking so the distance is not an obstacle.

I just read DD's review. If you go down thread he says that, "The trail that is under construction will get you the closest to the glacier". If you google Mendenhall, you can go to the U.S. Forest Services page and see a good map of the area. My guide book tells me the East loop follows the glacial trim line with a lot of time in the forest. It takes 2 hours. The other trail that I read about here at c/c said the Moraine Ecology trail was a good one.

Oops, I see that you asked about other views. I think the map may be of help if no one responds.

Nope, this trail has essentially 10 minutes of glacier viewing. Most is in woods. Those who continue to take it, I recommend taking the first trailhead off Trail of Time, which is the switchback up. Then you return down multiple stairs.

Yes, getting to the waterfalls will be your closest view.

Archived