Expired Passport for ID?

KroozeKid

I know expired US Passports are still valid as legal identification after being hole punched.

Can I use this as my ID for upcoming Eastern Caribbean cruise out of NY?

I remember reading to have either a passport or drivers license + original stamped birth certificate (that I don't currently have).

My valid passport will be sent out for a visa during this cruise for a business trip I will be taking right after my return.

Or, is there another ID I can use along with my drivers license? Cruise is 18 days away.:confused:

I know expired US Passports are still valid as legal identification after being hole punched.

I remember reading to have either a passport or drivers license + original stamped birth certificate (that I don't currently have).

My valid passport will be sent out for a visa during this cruise for a business trip I will be taking right after my return.

Or, is there another ID I can use along with my drivers license? Cruise is 18 days away.:confused:

I would call Princess and ask them to be sure. This is from the Princess website:

Although US and Canadian passport holders are not currently required to sail with a passport on most domestic itineraries (including Alaska, Bermuda, Canada, Caribbean, Hawaii, and Mexico and Panama Canal), Princess highly recommends they are carried.

For domestic itineraries for which a passport is not required, US and Canadian passport holders must present one of the following valid Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant travel documents at cruise check-in:

* Passport Book: Recommended travel document

* US Passport Card

* US or Canadian Issued Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)

* US or Canadian Issued Identification Card (issued to minors and non-drivers)

* NEXUS Card Air travel is limited to participating airports

* SENTRI and FAST cards

Unfortunately, in does not list standard D/L and birth certificate.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise.:)

You must have a valid (not expired) passport with 6 months left on it before expiring for your cruise. I just got back from my Eastern Caribbean cruise and they check when you leave at the port upon check-in and when you come back at customs but not at each individual port.

Agree that your passport will need to be current. Princess always checks my mother's when she travels with me. She has an extension which is several pages back in her

passport book. They always get kind of excited until she can get it open to the extension.

Great...just checked my DD (18) passport and it expires at the end of Sept. We Leave Sat for the Caribbean on the Emerald. I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed and have her take her drivers liciense, certified birth certificate and her current passport. ...uhh I feel so stupid.

Great...just checked my DD (18) passport and it expires at the end of Sept. We Leave Sat for the Caribbean on the Emerald. I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed and have her take her drivers liciense, certified birth certificate and her current passport. ...uhh I feel so stupid.

According to Hydrodriver's post above, I think you may need to do more than cross your fingers and toes, as it seems that a regular DL and birth certification won't work anymore. I'd call Princess right away and find out if this itinerary requires her passport to be valid beyond six months. If so, then you'll have to scramble to get an expedited renewal. It can be done in one day, you just have to go to the nearest passport office at which you can snag an appointment. But it beats being denied boarding and left behind at the pier!

An expired passport is not valid/legal ID. Certainly not for entry into the United States. See the Customs & Border Protection web site, here for confirmation. At the link you will see a link to "Border Crossing Document Requirements Have Changed". Click on that link and navigate to "Special Groups" and read the section titled "Closed Loop Cruises".

I really wouldn't do that. Imagine how you would feel IF (and according to all that I have read, they will) they denied you boarded. Will you leave her at the port or will you all not go? Don't even chance it. Spend the money and get the passport corrected and expedited. It can be done in a day.

I assume you have filled out the personalizer with her passport information. If the system did not reject it, then it should be accepted when you board.

If you call Princess, it may be difficult to find a person who actually knows the answer vs. someone who is just reading the answer from a FAQ list.

Did you book using a competent Travel Agent? If so, the TA should be able to advise you.

I really wouldn't do that. Imagine how you would feel IF (and according to all that I have read, they will) they denied you boarded. Will you leave her at the port or will you all not go? Don't even chance it. Spend the money and get the passport corrected and expedited. It can be done in a day.

I'll look into it. According to the Princess info we should be ok with a valid liciense and original birth certificate because it is a closed loop (Ft. Laud to Ft. Laud) cruise to Eastern Carib. I'll call my TA in the morning. We have traveled so much...not sure how that got past us. Just traveled on it last weekend. Dumb dumb dumb..

I'll look into it. According to the Princess info we should be ok with a valid liciense and original birth certificate because it is a closed loop (Ft. Laud to Ft. Laud) cruise to Eastern Carib. I'll call my TA in the morning. We have traveled so much...not sure how that got past us. Just traveled on it last weekend. Dumb dumb dumb..
Remember, the original birth certificate must have a raised seal; it can't be a hospital birth certificate. Good luck!

Tip: Always look at the destinations for your particular trip, you may not be able to get off the ship at some locations (non-us destinations). (The poster above should be OK as long as the passport is valid past end of trip, the 6 month rule is usually for air travel)

The Bahamas, for example lists this as a requirement for cruise entry:

On June 1, 2009, the U.S. government will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States by sea or ports of entry to have a passport, passport card or WHTI-compliant document.

Or St. Lucia:

Entry Requirements

Visitors must carry valid passports. Visas are not required where the visitor is a citizen of the USA or certain Commonwealth countries (please click here for visa exempted countries), or where there is agreement for exemption between the home country and Saint Lucia

St. Maarten (by Sea):

Entry requirements for Americans: United States citizens require a valid passport. No visa is needed for a stay of up to three months in the Netherlands Antilles.

I think you get the idea..

Remember, the original birth certificate must have a raised seal; it can't be a hospital birth certificate. Good luck!

Thanks, it does. My only real concern is the fact I put here passport info in her profile. Kind of feeling sick about this. I really think we will be ok, but boy is this a lesson learned. Since as of today we don't HAVE to have a passport to sail(although I have always been a strong believer of having one and things could change tomorrow) Perhaps it wont be an issue. Only info I can find to Expidite passport is 24hours (Business days) unless you go directly to an agency. Not a doable task since we live in Ohio. ...Keep your fingers crossed.

We recently had to pass on a last-minute cruise deal with Princess because our still=valid passports had only 3 months left until expiration. Princess indicated that we could likely be unable to satisfy requirements in countries to be visited.

We had to get our passports expedited. It cost more but was so worth it to have proper documentation. We had valid passports that were expiring 5 months from the date of our cruise. Princess would not have let us board with them.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_830.html Go to the bottom of the page for info on getting a passport quickly.

How about one of those DMV issued "licences" that are acceptable as land or sea passports? Are those quicker to get? I know they are offered in NYS.

Are those different than the passport card? If not, those are also issued by the State Dept.

I just replaced my passport with standard delivery - it took about 3 weeks.

It was a temporary I got when mine was stolen in Argentina the day before our cruise. Usually, they're for 3 months but they made mine for a year because the Falklands has the 6 months left requirement.

And, I got a card as well because the charge for the temp was more than the current renewal cost for both.

BTW - It took less than 2 hours to get in BA and I was on the ship by noon.

You should read it yourself.....

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/edl-main.htm

There is no way I would go using the enhanced driver's license. Too many complications especially since it is new. The Passport is much more universal and widely recognized.

The NY DMV rules state:

"This page provides information about the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) and Enhanced New York State photo driver licenses and non-driver photo ID cards that comply with the WHTI.

As of June 1, 2009, only WHTI approved documents can be used for return to the United States.

NYS now issues a WHTI-Compliant Enhanced driver licenses (EDL) (includes Enhanced learner permits) and Enhanced non-driver photo ID cards (ENDID) to applicants who can prove U.S. citizenship and NYS residency. An EDL or ENDID can be used instead of a passport to return to the U.S. from Canada, Mexico and some countries in the Caribbean. Contact your travel agent, your cruise line or the specific countries of destination to verify travel document requirements.

An EDL or ENDID is not acceptable for air travel between these countries."

AND

"What countries, territories and islands are considered part of "the Caribbean" under WHTI?

Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands (includes St. Croix, St. John and St. Thomas) are U.S. possessions. In addition, the U.S. State Department site has a list of the 17 countries, territories and islands that are not U.S. possessions but that are also part of "the Caribbean" under WHTI."

OP - definitely a wise choice to get your visa processed after your cruise.

Sueb - Your daughter's passport is fine for your upcoming RT cruise from FLL; the 6 mo. Rule is not applicable in Caribbean cruise destinations.

Loombeam - while you accurately quote the State Dept. Info pages, the information is spotty at best. One will never go wrong following their stated guidelines, but one can easily be misled into thinking passports are required when they are not. In the case of St.Lucia, St. Maarten and the Bahamas, ALL may currently be visited on round trip cruises with just a BC and ID. Private sea travel needs a passport, but not RT cruise travel.

Hydrodriver - you only quoted a portion of the full details of the document requirements on the Princess webpage; the paragraph continues with the listing of the BC/ID for round trip cruises below the portion you quoted

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/prepare.jsp

OP - definitely a wise choice to get your visa processed after your cruise.

Sueb - Your daughter's passport is fine for your upcoming RT cruise from FLL; the 6 mo. Rule is not applicable in Caribbean cruise destinations.

Loombeam - while you accurately quote the State Dept. Info pages, the information is spotty at best. One will never go wrong following their stated guidelines, but one can easily be misled into thinking passports are required when they are not. In the case of St.Lucia, St. Maarten and the Bahamas, ALL may currently be visited on round trip cruises with just a BC and ID. Private sea travel needs a passport, but not RT cruise travel.

Hydrodriver - you only quoted a portion of the full details of the document requirements on the Princess webpage; the paragraph continues with the listing of the BC/ID for round trip cruises below the portion you quoted

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/prepare.jsp

Thank you for all this info...I am most definitly pro passport..It is totally my fault I didn't read the 'fine print' this time. In the future I'll do that every time I cruise (been on 20+) I'll double check with my TA today just so she is aware. You seem pretty knowledgable in this area. If you don't mind me asking...how do you know the actual interpretations of these rules? Thanks for everyones input.

Archived