Getting to Rome via taxi?

SmokinActuary

Oh silly me! Civitavecchia. I am planning on training it back.

The reason I wanted to cab it there because I wanted to go directly to an area that is a little bit of a schlep from the train stations and I want to try to get to the Coliseum by the time it opens.

Given traffic going into town on a weekday, I find it hard to believe that a cab or a car & driver will get you there much faster than the train. Best case I'd guess about 15 - 20 minutes, and that's a lot of money for 20 minutes.

If the Colosseum is your first stop, take the train to Roma Ostiense and switch to the metro for two stops to Colosseo, and you're there.

That is the Piramide stop on the metro, correct? How long does it take to get from Roma Ostiense to Colosseu via metro?

Also how long would it take to get from Colosseu to the Cipro stop on the metro, given I have to change lines at Termini?

Thanks again.

With regards to 20 minutes difference, We have to be at the Vatican Museums at 12:00. I am concerned about the queues at the Coliseum.

The earliest train I could catch would get me into Roma Osteo at 8:37. I figured I that would mean I would get to the Colisseum by 9.

If I left port at 7AM, I was hoping to beat that.

That is the Piramide stop on the metro, correct? How long does it take to get from Roma Ostiense to Colosseu via metro?

Also how long would it take to get from Colosseu to the Cipro stop on the metro, given I have to change lines at Termini?

Thanks again.

I can't answer your first question precisely, but it's not very long (10 minutes maybe?)

As for the second, I did this a couple of times on my last visit. It's about 30 minutes by metro. Plus, once you get to Cipro, you've got a 10-15 minute walk to the Vatican Museum entrance.

A taxi will get you there much faster for around 10-12 euro.

If it were me, I'd do the train to the Colosseum and a cab to the Vatican museums. Buy your Colosseum tickets at Palatine Hill and you shouldn't have much of a wait.

There are usually taxis waiting at the Colosseo metro station. If you can't nab one there, walk up the street with the Forum on your left and you'll soon reach Piazza Venezia, which is the motherlode of transportation and has a large taxi stand.

If you leave the port at Civitavecchia by car at exactly 7 AM, the absolute best case would put you at the Colosseum at about 8:15 AM. If you are uncomfortable with the train (things can go wrong, there are no guarantees), the car and driver is a viable option, albeit expensive for those 20 - 25 minutes.

Cynthia's estimate is good for the metro - at rush hour trains come frequently, and once on the train the two stops will take about three to four minutes (you're only covering a little over a mile in distance). You are correct that the stop you are getting on at is Piramide.

Archived