Do you text while cruising?

Ms belp

Just heard a commercial about texting while driving. It has me wondering, do you text while cruising? How many can't leave their phones at home anymore? Do they charge more for the text rather than the regular phone call to check in with the parents?

Depends on your provider. We have iPhones & AT&T. I looked into it and any form of communication will be $2.50/minute. Needless to say, we're keeping the phones entirely off (big tip, because you'll get hit with fees while it's on at all). Will just use our phones on shore to call home and talk to our children.

My husband needs to talk to my step daughter everyday so we use our phone. $2.49 a minute while on the ship and .50 for outgoing text, .05 for incoming. We try to use phone cards bought while in port to make our calls if the time zone permits...

You can call your cell phone provider and find out what the roaming rates are in each country you dock at, too, if you want to use your cell phone while in port (not European ports of call, I imagine, unless you have a GSM phone)

If you text on the ship you are accessing their local phone system and will get charged both for out of network and additional charges.

On a seperate note about texting:

Saw this funny sign:

36724_405086501838_766296838_4124368_2021002_n.jpg.ccf903980e6c6f26f4c4e862666517ab.jpg

Depends on your provider. We have iPhones & AT&T. I looked into it and any form of communication will be $2.50/minute. Needless to say, we're keeping the phones entirely off (big tip, because you'll get hit with fees while it's on at all). Will just use our phones on shore to call home and talk to our children.

My cousin and I did the Western Carib in March. We both have iphones and got the international plan- it's $5/month and they prorate for the week. This brings the cost of calls per minute down significantly(price/min depends on which island you are on).

They also told us to turn off the data roaming which would cut down on email internet etc charges. Neither of us was charged just for having the phone on. We texted each around the ship and it really wasn't that expensive.

No, I do not text on the ship and very rarely at home. I just don't understand the obsession with the phone.

Me neither:confused: Call if you got something to say, that's what a phone is for, otherwise I'm on vacation...no phones, so refreshing:D

Signed,

Don't call me I'll call you

I am so fed up with spam calls, I have thrown my cell phone and home phone away... Discontinued both services...

I even had my phone number listed as a no call number... A total waste of time... They call anyway...

Anyone who wants to contact me can either use email or snail mail... I prefer my grandchildren to use their computer video cameras, as I like to see who I am talking to. I will never talk to another computer answering device, EVER!

Plus I am annoyed by the spam in my mail box with both... Enough is enough...

Once the ship pulls away from the dock, my cell phone is turned off and placed in the safe until the morning that we disembark. And my laptop stays at home, keeping the cat company. The neighbor feeds it. The cat, not my laptop.

We have iPhones & AT&T. I looked into it and any form of communication will be $2.50/minute. Needless to say, we're keeping the phones entirely off (big tip, because you'll get hit with fees while it's on at all).

It's easy to avoid large, unexpected charges with an iPhone (or any smart phone) when traveling.

With the iPhone, simply turn Airplane Mode on and make sure Int'l Roaming is off (the default). Airplane Mode turns all five (EDGE, 3G, GPS, Bluetooth and WiFi) radios off -- no data will be sent or received. You can then use the iPhone as if it were an iPod touch (music, audiobooks, games, etc).

And, with the iPhone in Airplane Mode, you can turn WiFi back on and take advantage of free or low-cost WiFi hotspots. You could use the Skype app, when in port, to make phone calls via Wifi. No unexpected charges, since you'll either be using free or low-cost WiFi.

I am so fed up with spam calls, I have thrown my cell phone and home phone away... Discontinued both services...

I even had my phone number listed as a no call number... A total waste of time... They call anyway...

Anyone who wants to contact me can either use email or snail mail... I prefer my grandchildren to use their computer video cameras, as I like to see who I am talking to. I will never talk to another computer answering device, EVER!

How will you ever contact emergency services if your house is on fire or you need a police officer when someone is breaking into your house?

No phone, internet or texting EVER when on vacation. The phone goes into the safe and stays there until we return home. In an emergency, we can always be reached through NCL ship telephone.

Even before we retired, DH and I notified both of our employers that we would NOT be reachable while we were cruising:D.

I am utterly amazed at all the principled people.

No cell phone, no computer. Threw it out (overboard?), put it in the safe, left it at home.

Just because I am at sea, I should stop all communications with family and friends?

We actually enjoy hearing from our kids and grandchildren, no matter where we are. Wish they'd 'bother' us more often. Carrier pigeons are useless for long distance, so we take advantage of the latest that technology has to offer.

To all Luddites out there, I don't want to start a flame war.

I just do not understand.

Happy cruising to all.

I have Verizon, and texts were 50 cents to send, 5 cents to receive, and calls were $2.49 a minute on the ship, and $1.99 off the ship (in Bermuda). Yes, I am a texter every day to multiple people and did A LITTLE on the ship, but most people I text were with me so there was not much need! (I did leave the internet at home......)

Archived