Bringing you own wine?

ggglo

If you bring you own wine on the ship is there any problem? If you want to bring it to dining room what is the fee?

Never did this before. Does anyone know????

No problem at all bringing it onboard, but if you take it to any of the dining venues, there is a $15 corkage fee per bottle.

You can bring your own wine on board and they have refrigerators in most staterooms. As already posted, there is a $15 corking fee in the MDR if you take a bottle. One trick is to just take a glass of wine with you into the MDR but then you only have that one glass. As for the 1 bottle limit, it is not enforced. I sailed on the Ruby in February. I brought along a case (12 bottles) of wine for use on my balcony in the afternoon. I taped a luggage tag to the box, put my name and stateroom number on it and handed it to the baggage guys at the port along with a nice tip. It was delivered to my room intact. I had the room attendant get us two wine glasses which he kept clean the entire 10 day voyage. I had my own wine opener. Have fun and take your own wine.

There is not a limit to the amount of wine and champagne you can bring onboard. A one bottle limit is a myth. It may have been a limit at one time but now it is not.

Here is what the Passage Contract says about bringing alcohol onboard:

"No alcohol may be purchased or consumed by any Passengers under the age of 21. No Passenger under the age of 21 shall be permitted to engage in any gaming activities on board the ship. No Passenger under the age of 18 shall be permitted to purchase cigarettes or tobacco products. Passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind (except wine and champagne) on board for consumption. You must surrender alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship’s gift shop, or at ports of call, to Carrier, which will be delivered to Your stateroom on the last day of the voyage. A corkage fee of $15.00 U.S.D. per bottle (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to wine and champagne brought aboard by You and consumed in the ship’s restaurants."

As you can see you are not limited to a single bottle of wine or champagne. The Passage Contract is the legal document that details your and Princess's obligations and limits to each other.

There is not a limit to the amount of wine and champagne you can bring onboard. A one bottle limit is a myth. It may have been a limit at one time but now it is not.

Here is what the Passage Contract says about bringing alcohol onboard:

"No alcohol may be purchased or consumed by any Passengers under the age of 21. No Passenger under the age of 21 shall be permitted to engage in any gaming activities on board the ship. No Passenger under the age of 18 shall be permitted to purchase cigarettes or tobacco products. Passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind (except wine and champagne) on board for consumption. You must surrender alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship’s gift shop, or at ports of call, to Carrier, which will be delivered to Your stateroom on the last day of the voyage. A corkage fee of $15.00 U.S.D. per bottle (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to wine and champagne brought aboard by You and consumed in the ship’s restaurants."

As you can see you are not limited to a single bottle of wine or champagne. The Passage Contract is the legal document that details your and Princess's obligations and limits to each other.

Actually it isn't a myth. Somewhere, either on Princess.com or the Q&A book, it does say one bottle of wine or champagne pp. I forget exactly where I have seen it.

As you note the Passenger Contract does not have a limit. I've never had a problem bringing wine on board.

The Cruise Answer book has the "one bottle limit". Why, I have no idea since that just plain isn't true. Just in case, I always print a copy of the Passenger Contract. We have never used it. Pack up our wine in shipping cases and send it on with our luggage.

Happy Cruising,

Denise

This Passage Contract constitutes the entire understanding and agreement between You and Princess Cruise Lines, Ltd., the operator of all Princess Cruises brand ships (“Carrier”), and supersedes any prior oral, implied, written or other representations or agreements between You and Carrier.

Legally, what does this mean for what is in the Cruise Answer Book?:rolleyes:

People bring on cases of wine and are never even questioned about it. It's not like they are sneaking it onboard. A case of wine with luggage tags attached and sent onto the ship would be easily identified by the cruise line and then confiscated and returned on the last day of the cruise if it exceeded the "one bottle per person" limit.

Have a great cruise and enjoy your wine.

....and why bother with Corkage Fees for one bottle of wine per person. Makes no sense at all :eek: Sometimes you have to wonder if the right hand knows what the left hand is doing.

We have taken as many as 5 cases of wine on board. :D Of course, this was for an 18 day cruise with relatives at the other end :eek:

Cheers, Denise

I have sailed Princess, Holland America, Celebrity, and Carnival. Never had an issue with getting wine or liquor on board. For liquor get your favorite in the plastic bottles. For wine I just wrap the bottles in socks to keep them from bumping into each other. They are all spread between the 2 trunk steamers. The carry-on is where medicine and other can't get lost withouts.

This Passage Contract constitutes the entire understanding and agreement between You and Princess Cruise Lines, Ltd., the operator of all Princess Cruises brand ships (“Carrier”), and supersedes any prior oral, implied, written or other representations or agreements between You and Carrier.

Legally, what does this mean for what is in the Cruise Answer Book?:rolleyes:

People bring on cases of wine and are never even questioned about it. It's not like they are sneaking it onboard. A case of wine with luggage tags attached and sent onto the ship would be easily identified by the cruise line and then confiscated and returned on the last day of the cruise if it exceeded the "one bottle per person" limit.

Have a great cruise and enjoy your wine.

Ahhhh, I thought I was agreeing with you:confused:. There is no limit on wine and champagne.

I was just pointing out that it is mentioned in the Cruise Answer Book that there is a one bottle pp limit. That's were the confusion comes into play for most cruisers, especially new ones.

Ahhhh, I thought I was agreeing with you:confused:. There is no limit on wine and champagne.

I was just pointing out that it is mentioned in the Cruise Answer Book that there is a one bottle pp limit. That's were the confusion comes into play for most cruisers, especially new ones.

Princess is pretty good at keeping everything open to interpretation and that does cause confusion.:confused: Of course, they don't want to lock into anything that might upset someone who might cruise with them.

In practice so many things are just suggestions: dress codes, reserving deck chairs, specialty restaurant dress on formal nights are allowed to be interpreted by Maitre D's however the Maitre D' wants to interpret it, etc, etc, etc.:rolleyes:

But the good thing about it is the vagueness allows us to have lively discussions about what is the actual policy.;)

And everyone is right! You can always find somewhere that supports all 3 sides of discussion.:D

Princess is pretty good at keeping everything open to interpretation and that does cause confusion.:confused: Of course, they don't want to lock into anything that might upset someone who might cruise with them.

In practice so many things are just suggestions: dress codes, reserving deck chairs, specialty restaurant dress on formal nights are allowed to be interpreted by Maitre D's however the Maitre D' wants to interpret it, etc, etc, etc.:rolleyes:

But the good thing about it is the vagueness allows us to have lively discussions about what is the actual policy.;)

And everyone is right! You can always find somewhere that supports all 3 sides of discussion.:D

That makes sense to me. I worked 30 years for an employer that operated on the same principle:eek:

One of the great things about Princess is the relaxed guidelines/rules on wine. Whether taking it aboard or drinking while aboard. Yes I've taken a glass of wine with me to dinner and always bought a second or a third or even a bottle at dinner which lasted me two evenings. When you consider the $15 corkage on your own bottle, you can weigh that against a typical $27-$32cost from the wine menu. Princess does get their $$ but more importantly they get a happy cruiser. Don't forget to bring a good bottle opener with you. I have even packed a favorite wine glass for the cabin.

Has anyone ordered a case or two of wine to be sent to your pre-cruise hotel??

We are in San Francisco and were thinking of phoning and ordering a case of wine (or two) to be sent to our hotel instead of waiting till we get there and getting it the day before sailing.

What would the hotel think of this? I'm thinking if you phone and speak to the concierge it would be taken care of. ;)

Snowbird

I am concerned that with this approach you may end up paying a price comparable to what one pays on board. For example, wines at Safeway (4 blocks from Pier 35) is discounted about 30% to 50%. And ship prices are a little more than twice Safeway prices.

Your names appear familiar. Were you supposed to be on SYD/LA 2008 but canceled?

Has anyone ordered a case or two of wine to be sent to your pre-cruise hotel??

We are in San Francisco and were thinking of phoning and ordering a case of wine (or two) to be sent to our hotel instead of waiting till we get there and getting it the day before sailing.

What would the hotel think of this? I'm thinking if you phone and speak to the concierge it would be taken care of. ;)

Snowbird

I am concerned that with this approach you may end up paying a price comparable to what one pays on board. For example, wines at Safeway (4 blocks from Pier 35) is discounted about 30% to 50%. And ship prices are a little more than twice Safeway prices.

Your names appear familiar. Were you supposed to be on SYD/LA 2008 but canceled?

Yes, this Snowbird from the SYD/LA cruise that was not to be for us.:( We are trying again, this time from San Francisco. We are staying at the Princess hotel "Mark Hopkins" for a couple of days first. I have seen there is a Beverages & More close by and thought of getting our wine there?

I also have another Motu Picnic organized with Patrick this time while in BoraBora. :)

Snowbird

Hi!

Please, if you feel comfortable, email me -- karachi at speakeasy dot net. We can then discuss both wine and your visit by email. Thanks.

Yes, this Snowbird from the SYD/LA cruise that was not to be for us.:( We are trying again, this time from San Francisco. We are staying at the Princess hotel "Mark Hopkins" for a couple of days first. I have seen there is a Beverages & More close by and thought of getting our wine there?

I also have another Motu Picnic organized with Patrick this time while in BoraBora. :)

Snowbird

Snowbird

Beverage & More is further away from the cruise terminal than the Mark Hopkins. Do as Sultan-SFO says and buy it at Safeway. However, I do recommend that you study Princess winelist and pick wines that are not on the list. Picking wines that are on Princess wine list may create a certain awkwardness when the waiter sees your bottle. Princess doesn't really have a good wine list so it's not hard to pick wines that are not on their list.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a first time cruiser and this will also be my first time abroad. I know which wines (mind you they are cheap wines because I am a 21 yr old student) I like her in the U.S. but my cruise is leaving from Barcelona so I am wondering how different will the wines and alcohol selection be at the stores there? I don't really want to have to carry bottles on the plane.

The Princess wine list contains a variety of wines from around the world. It includes US, Italy, France, Australia, Chile, South Africa, among others.

Don't know if you meant it literally, but you cannot carry wine onboard the plane. It is covered by the 3-1-1 rules. That is any liquid must be in a container that holds 3 oz or less. That must be in a one quart zip lock baggie.

Archived