Dry Cleaning on board

tgetz

I have seen several comments about laundry on the ships and most agree that if you send laundry it will all be washed in very hot water. I tend to agree and have used the free laundry for underwear only. I prefer to dry clean most of my pants and tops but have never 'trusted' a ship to do my clothes properly.

What are some of your experiences? i am very picky about dry cleaning. I don't mind dry cleaning everything, even knit tops from CHicos. Our next cruise is 35 days and wondring if i should take 35 different outfits for day and night or can i use the dry cleaning on board comfortably. thanks for your answers.

We use the ship's dry-cleaning on every HAL cruise; my DH thinks they do a nicer job on his tux than does the place that we frequent in Los Angeles and for sure, it's cheaper. I've sent jackets, pants, etc; and have been perfectly satisfied. We've sent nothing that requires any special handling so I can't speak to that.

Many things can be worn more than once....after all, unless you spill alot, you only are wearing most items for a couple of hours....hang them up, let them air out, and you're good to go! Aside from underwear, you shouldn't need to wash everything everytime!

The dry-cleaning is as good as on land. I'm not fond of the laundry service, unless it's something VERY washable....I've had a gauzy dress ruined once....but normal, things, like men's shirts, shorts, jeans, etc...will launder just fine.

The only thing I would caution is expecting dry cleaning on wash-able items. We have them wash items that we indicated we wanted dry cleaned (they would change the laundry/dry cleaning paperwork to indicate that the change had been made). Our experience is that they only dry cleaned items that were not machine wash-able. Otherwise, their dry cleaning services are no different than my local provider.

intersting... I dry clean everything... jeans, sweaters, shirts... I like the fact that dry cleaning, although more expensive, makes the colors and the fabrics last longer. I might have a real problem if they laundered something i specifically wanted dry cleaned. NO, not i might,,,, i would. Some of my jeans cost over 300.00 and i would not want them laundered.

Any yes,,, i am a slob... I spill something all the time. So it is rare that i can wear something more than once. I can wear pants and sometimes jeans more often, but i very often spill something on a top. :-( I can often wear the same pants and a shirt twice, just changing a tank and i will definetly do that on this trip, and i will not plan to dry clean. We are raising our two grandchildren and i even dry clean his polo shirts ( and the colors are as bright as if they were brand new) and her slacks and tops. I guess i am going to have to rethink what i take for them, also. My housekeeper is excellent and turning allthier clothes inside out and washing them in cold water and drying on a cool cycle.I think i cannot expect that on board, and really did not want to have to do wash, but it looks like i may need to.... Oh well, there are lots of people who would jsut love to go away for 35 days so i should not complain. Thanks for everyone's input.

On our recent 32 day cruise on the Noordam we took the 'unlimited laundry' package.

Everything we wore either went to the laundry or was dry cleaned (we had to pay extra for dry cleaning).

When we came home and unpacked we had very little dirty laundry. Most things were clean and went straight in the closet.

We were happy with the laundry service and used it for most things. We only used the dry cleaning for DH's jackets and trousers and my sparkly evening top.

We have used dry cleaning on all of our HAL cruises. We send everything, formals, tux, etc. and I do send things I am cautious about to be dry cleaned, not laundered. I have to say that we have been very pleased with Hal's drycleaning service. :) My Dh is very fussy too and he has been very pleased.

IMO, their service is as good if not better than what we have on land. Last cruise I noticed laundry and drycleaning was coming back in :D 24 hours or less.

We will definintely be taking advantage of it next cruise. Saves on packing & a lot of work when I get home.

tgetz, is your 35 day trip Voyage of the Vikings on Maasdam? (:o Sorry, I checked your past posts, but only because :o.....)

Maasdam does have self service laundry, and there are choices about water temperature IIRC. I understand you prefer to dry clean your clothing, but at least it's an alternative for some of the most washable items.

We use both the laundry and dry cleaning services on the ships and we love it! I've never had a problem with shrinkage on my jeans, khakis, polo shirts, etc. that we've even had go through their laundry! The only dry cleaning we bother with is the "evening wear"...and that's come back lovely. I don't understand people's issues with their laundry service, but I guess I have clothes that aren't that picky. Lands End, LL Bean stuff comes out fine.

I know the uniforms of the crew always look great, so they must do dry cleaning right.

English in spain, intersting that you had to pay extra for dry cleaning. oh, now i remember. Unlimited laundry includes pressing but not dry cleaning.

We are always in suites so the laundry and dry cleaning are included but we have a balcony for the nanny this trip and i have been trying to decide wheter to get her the unlimited laundry. I am taking some gentle soap so i can wash the kids jeans in the laundry facility. I am glad tha HAL has machines to use unlike some lines, i just am not real excited about doing laundry on my vacation... :-( Oh well, i won't have to cook dinner or do the towels.... :-)

I am glad tha HAL has machines to use unlike some lines, i just am not real excited about doing laundry on my vacation... :-( Oh well, i won't have to cook dinner or do the towels.... :-)

Not all HAL ships have self service laundry - be sure to check the ship you are sailing.

Thanks for the warning. You are correct but the older ones do and this trip is the Voyage of the Vikings on the Maasdam and it definitely has laundry machines. Some day when the grandchildren are grown, or miracle of miracles, their parents might sober up and become adults and begin raisng thier own children, we both really want to do a world cruise and I hope the ships still have laundry's by then. It could be many years though. Oh well for now, i am thrilled to be going for at least 35 days...and if i have to do some laundry, so be it.

i just am not real excited about doing laundry on my vacation...

Personally I find it kind of soothing. A low-input task that has a measurable outcome :)

I stick in a load of laundry, set my alarm for when I need to move it to the dryer, and go back to the cabin to read for a bit. Then put it in the dryer, set my alarm again, and go read some more. Or you could be like the "guardians of the laundry room" we encountered on one cruise, and sit your b*tt on a chair at the door of the laundry room (impeding access, of course) and growl at anyone who dares enter :D Personally I like my way better!

Personally I find it kind of soothing. A low-input task that has a measurable outcome :)

I stick in a load of laundry, set my alarm for when I need to move it to the dryer, and go back to the cabin to read for a bit. Then put it in the dryer, set my alarm again, and go read some more. Or you could be like the "guardians of the laundry room" we encountered on one cruise, and sit your b*tt on a chsome air at the door of the laundry room (impeding access, of course) and growl at anyone who dares enter :D Personally I like my way better!

I you prefer leaving during your wash and dry cycles, it may be because you never experienced theft of one of your clothings. I do not use the laundry myself (I get free laundry as a 4 Star) but I have heard enough stories about disappearing apparel that I agree with people standing guard for it. At least if they do not block the entry....

I you prefer leaving during your wash and dry cycles, it may be because you never experienced theft of one of your clothings. I do not use the laundry myself (I get free laundry as a 4 Star) but I have heard enough stories about disappearing apparel that I agree with people standing guard for it. At least if they do not block the entry....

Oh dear! I can't imagine anyone stealing anything I'd be washing, though -- especially since the washers lock AND the stuff that I usually need to wash are things like t-shirts and shorts and cotton tops and such. And honestly I can't imagine how BOLD a thief would have to be, to pick thru the load of semi-dry drying to select stuff that might be "worthwhile".

I'd never leave laundry alone in a laundromat on land, but onboard? I really don't think there's a huge risk. At least that's my perception, and I'm sticking with it :)

Thanks, though, for the warning.

SInce i will be mainly washing children's clothes, can't imagine they would get stolen... i might have to send the children with the clothes and then no one on this cruise would want them... :-) Like your way of relaxing. Like you, I can't imagine on a cruise ship anyone would 'steal' clothes... maybe in a regular laundry,,, but i guess anything is possible....

Travelling with children you're going to have a lot of laundry. You might want to take a look at what HAL is charging for the unlimited laundry service when you get on board. There's no limit to what you can send.

Worth a look when you get on board.

SInce i will be mainly washing children's clothes, can't imagine they would get stolen... i might have to send the children with the clothes and then no one on this cruise would want them... :-) Like your way of relaxing. Like you, I can't imagine on a cruise ship anyone would 'steal' clothes... maybe in a regular laundry,,, but i guess anything is possible....[/quote

tGETZ

As you may know we are on the same cruise with you, just down the hall.

What we do is have two bags one for Dry Cleaning and one for Laundry and send them out that way.

We have not had any problems with the laundry that we have sent out. However, my wife dry cleans most of her things. While I send everything (but the better pants) my golf shirts and so on come back just fine.

I know they wash with "hot" water but the question from what we have learned is what is "Hot" water? It may not be as hot as what is in your home 130F/140F+.

Ray

I know they wash with "hot" water but the question from what we have learned is what is "Hot" water? It may not be as hot as what is in your home 130F/140F+.

A friend of mine managed a hotel, and one weekend when all her staff walked out on her, I helped her out. What I learned that weekend would fill a book, but the laundry learning was that it is HOT water, and the machines are locked to HOT, that there is no way to change the temperature. The hot water boilers or whatever were the same ones that supplied HOT water to the rooms. It was steaming hot. One of the reasons I'm reluctant to use the laundry service onboard -- I would expect a similar set-up on the ship. But am absolutely prepared to be wrong :)

Thanks Kazu. since we are in a suite we will have free laundry and i will definetly send the kids underwear out . it is more their polo shirts that i don't want washed in hot water. i send them to the dry cleaners here, so they dont fade. If they will in fact dry clean them then i have no problem. i may send an older shirt first, and if they change it from dry clean to laundry as a poster suggested they did to them, then i will just cold wash them my self. Witha timer.. not as a laundry guard... :-) Thanks so much to all of you for our suggestions and ideas.

Oh dear! I can't imagine anyone stealing anything I'd be washing, though -- especially since the washers lock AND the stuff that I usually need to wash are things like t-shirts and shorts and cotton tops and such. And honestly I can't imagine how BOLD a thief would have to be, to pick thru the load of semi-dry drying to select stuff that might be "worthwhile".

I'd never leave laundry alone in a laundromat on land, but onboard? I really don't think there's a huge risk. At least that's my perception, and I'm sticking with it :)

Thanks, though, for the warning.

No we have smart 'people', tlhey take clothes from the dryer.

A man at our dining room table on the first week of the world cruise had 6 pairs of 'nice' socks disappear from the dryer, well maybe they were not stolen !!!! But where are they ? He never saw them again.

Some people do not pack enough socks !!!!:eek:

Archived