Your thoughts: "Lecturers" as entertainment? Hot topics?

chickie_mite

John Heald raised an interesting question yesterday in his blog: Would cruisers be interested in having paid lecturers as entertainment on CCL ships? If so, what topics would cruisers be interested in learning more about? He suggested a few topics, with poll results so far:

* Personal Investment 5%

*Computers, How To Get The Best From The Internet 8%

*Life Coaching 4%

* Digital Photography 27%

* Home Improvement 4%

* Ocean Liner and Cruise Ship Historian 31%

* The French and Why We Hate Them 21%

What are your thoughts on this? Are the above topics appealing to you? What other topic might you desire to learn more about? Would you attend one of these "lectures" while cruising?

John Heald raised an interesting question yesterday in his blog: Would cruisers be interested in having paid lecturers as entertainment on CCL ships? If so, what topics would cruisers be interested in learning more about? He suggested a few topics, with poll results so far:

* Personal Investment 5%

*Life Coaching 4%

* Home Improvement 4%

What are your thoughts on this? Are the above topics appealing to you? What other topic might you desire to learn more about? Would you attend one of these "lectures" while cruising?

Food/Cooking related would be great! I'd sign up for that!

Nope. Not interested. If I ever cruise on the National Geographic ship, sure...

I guess they are thinking of replacements for pimping customers for more money once the art auction gets sued out of existence.

Maybe astronomy.... all of those other topics: life coaching, personal finance... sounds like topics they would charge for or you would get a hard sell at the end of the lecture...

Nope. Not interested. If I ever cruise on the National Geographic ship, sure...

I guess they are thinking of replacements for pimping customers for more money once the art auction gets sued out of existence.

Maybe astronomy.... all of those other topics: life coaching, personal finance... sounds like topics they would charge for or you would get a hard sell at the end of the lecture...

That's one point that he made in his blog--that most people want you to buy something (or get "saved") at the end of their presentation.

I would listen to the ship historian, but only if he were at the aft pool on a sea day....so I could doze more easily while tanning!

These are probably best for cruises to more historic or exotic ports than the usual Caribbean and Mexican Rivera itineraries. Mediterrean and Asian cruises for example. Especially where there may be an extended port stay. Current Port talks are mainly schwills for overpriced shopping. Not worth the time, IMO.

My aunt is a marine biologist and has done lectures on several high end smaller ships. Its a good deal for her because she gets her cruise +1 paid for and can pick and choose the trips she wants to take. She said the turnout is very good, but this is an older and well heeled crowd. Allot of whale talk, pointing out porpoises on deck, stuff like that. Don't know how well attended that kind of stuff would be on a 2500+ commercial partyship......

I've had a number of folks contact me who would like to do something like this as a lecturer... not so many that would like to attend the lectures, however...

Cunard does it with significant success but that's a somewhat different audience...

:)

I would attend lectures . . maybe not the ones listed, though.

I'd attend a history lecture - particularly if it was about the areas visited.

I'd be likely to attend something about food and cooking, especially if it was about the local foods (i.e. Mexican cooking, if sailing to Mexico).

A night-time astronomy lecture (on the upper decks, with full view of the stars) would be fun.

Maybe a book signing with a famous author ?

The hard sells don't bother me too much . . . I have NO problem saying NO and walking away.

My sister has a very good friend who does many different lectures on Silversea. He lectures on the different ports of call, and also does an astronomy one. He and his wife actually live onboard most of the time. From what he says, the lectures are very well attended, but on the other hand, there is no extra charge for them.

Talk about a dream job!

My sister has a very good friend who does many different lectures on Silversea. He lectures on the different ports of call, and also does an astronomy one. He and his wife actually live onboard most of the time. From what he says, the lectures are very well attended, but on the other hand, there is no extra charge for them.

Talk about a dream job!

What a sweet gig!!

* Personal Investment 5%

*Life Coaching 4%

* Home Improvement 4%

Let's see: After spending almost an entire year attending boring lecture meetings at work? NO.

I've had a number of folks contact me who would like to do something like this as a lecturer... not so many that would like to attend the lectures,

:)

That is the main problem. Most of the lecturers are self-made

experts. I know some financial advisors in my hometown who can't balance their own checkbooks, and don't have enough money for a bus ticket out of town.:rolleyes:

Archived