Your thoughts: "Lecturers" as entertainment? Hot topics?

chickie_mite

Would a "lecture" about se3 (techniques, enhancing se3ual relationships and experiences, etc) be a topic of interest?

Throwing this out there, very curious about your thoughts. :)

You would think so , because from some of the posts on these boards , there are some people out there in desperate need of getting some :)

I would attend a lecture about the history and culture of the ports I am visiting, especially if given by someone from that area. Not the so-called "port talks" they give now. They're just "Shop here, so Carnival or I can get a kickback".

I don't hate the French, but I've been told they hate Americans. Americans (and I am one) are such lousy tourists.

My experience with on board lecturers is that they are often recruited from college faculties and these folks seem to have an irresistible tendency to inject their political views into any lecture. I recently attended a lecture on board the Sea Princess, hoping to learn more about the Alaskan environment. The lecturer (a college professor) spent as much time promoting his political agenda as he did on the subject matter.

We have attended a few lectures on NCL...nothing very interesting...think it was a stand by thing for a rainy day. Lecturer gets his and a guest cruise paid for the week for less than 4 hours work for the week.

MACH, I want to do a beer pong lecture by the pool and next sea day will be shot glass games on the Lido...:D

While I am not sure that I would like to attend a "lecture," I am all for the interactive, educational stuff. We have done the wine parings in the supper club and the behind the fun tour. It would be nice, particularly for rainy or cool days to have some options other than bingo and the newlywed game to spend your time.

Haven't seen the ice carving in a while, but that was neat. Or the guy that carves all the fruit and veggies? Way cool. Or how about "How to pick and grill the perfect steak?" by the Steakhouse chef? Or even a class on some of the native foods from the chefs like indian?

I would also love it if they would set up a way to digitally scrap book your vacation.

My experience with on board lecturers is that they are often recruited from college faculties and these folks seem to have an irresistible tendency to inject their political views into any lecture. I recently attended a lecture on board the Sea Princess, hoping to learn more about the Alaskan environment. The lecturer (a college professor) spent as much time promoting his political agenda as he did on the subject matter.

so true!

and I bet in your example the "expert" gained his or her expertise by books and studies on someone 's dime!

I can’t imagine that would work for CCL . My concern would be CCL turning it into a sales campaign offering 2nd rate goods or services ( like Bad Art, flaky spa services) at inflated prices.

I would be interested if they did bring in true experts ( named recognized leaders ) .

So if you were going to do something in cooking bring in a BIG name and instead of trying to sell some cheesy product sell tickets to admission. I would pay for a cooking lesson from a top tier recognized chef.

John Heald raised an interesting question yesterday in his blog: Would cruisers be interested in having paid lecturers as entertainment on CCL ships? If so, what topics would cruisers be interested in learning more about? He suggested a few topics, with poll results so far:

* Personal Investment 5%

*Computers, How To Get The Best From The Internet 8%

*Life Coaching 4%

* Digital Photography 27%

* Home Improvement 4%

* Ocean Liner and Cruise Ship Historian 31%

* The French and Why We Hate Them 21%

What are your thoughts on this? Are the above topics appealing to you? What other topic might you desire to learn more about? Would you attend one of these "lectures" while cruising?

First, I don't think lectures of any kind would appeal to most of the Carnival crowd. (Yes, I've sailed on Carnival. Don't plan to do so again, though, any time soon.)

And none of the topics listed here would be of interest to me.

On our last cruise (on Hurtigruten, up the coast of Norway), there were lectures about Norwegian history and culture, geography, the history or background of each port we were going to visit

(and NONE of them had anything about "where to find the best bargains, shopping", or "here are coupons for "free gifts", or any of that!),

the flora and fauna we might see (plants and animals, including fish), how fjords were created, volcanoes and their effects on the land (we were sailing when the volcano erupted in Iceland, causing us to have to extend our stay in Norway. Tough, but somebody had to do it! :p )

All of them were free. Most of them quite entertaining and informative. A couple were led by locals who came on in one port and sailed with us to the next port.

THESE kinds of lectures I'd go to, every time.

My thoughts are that there are enough people on any given ship to support this. I'm not too keen on the financial planning, etc, but things more connected to the cruise/vacation/experience. While we may not as 'well-heeled' as those on the higher end lines, I'm willing to bet we all didn't just climb down from that 'holler' either (and even if we did, it doesn't make us brain dead).

No fee for lectures. I like the idea of the history of the Caribben, pirates, food, Mayan culture, marine life, etc. Sailing from Mobile or NO? How about the history of jazz/blues?

REASONABLE fee for hands-on demonstrations, maybe a cooking lesson of Mexican/Caribbean fare?

There is room for more quality activites, and I've no doubt that there is interest there. Don't throw them all out at once, but start small and get a feel for what will/won't work. They should be able to come up with a well-rounded list that will work.

I think it would be great.

While the lectures may not be something I personally would attend, I think its important that CCL offers as many activities as possible so everyone can have something to do and are able to enjoy their vacation the way they want to. So even though I may not want to attend, there are several people in this very thread who would, so why not?

I think thats one thing Carnival is missing. A variety in their on board entertainment. How much trivia can be played? This, among some other things, would be a welcome addition IMO.

here would be my suggestions

1 smuggling .. everyone apparently knows something about getting contraband in.. my suggested lecture would be how to smuggle out! That’s right.. get your robes, towels off the ship and not on your S&S card. You know you like the fried chicken and melting cake well now you can take home trays and trays..

2 Tip avoidance -while looking and acting like you are a big spender and truly care for the people who serve you.

3 Critical thinking – quickly spot chair hogs, smokers in non designated areas , public drunkenness and all important not adhering to dress code.. BUT once you spot them you will learn how to react to them as if you were in the comfort of your home with keyboard in hand!

4 Box of wine selection and pairing

I go on cruises to entertained- not educated. I get educated the other 51 or so weeks a year than I don't cruise/vacation! And I consider lectures education. :p Anything I wanted to learn about, I would do it at home. I want to relax on a cruise.

I love the idea of lectures, as long as they have something to do with the vacation itself. As long as they are free, and as long as it is not some sort of sales pitch. Something new that might enlighten the passengers, and get away from the usual trivia (which doesn't generate money for the cruise line anyway.)

If the lecture is held in a lounge or one of the business rooms, then waiters can mill about and discreetly sell drinks, so the cruise line can still make some money. I have no problem for the cruise line making money, as long as it is not "in your face."

The digital photography lecture sounds appealing, for example. I also like the idea of a lecturer who will talk about the history and geography of the ports on the itinerary. Again, the lecture on the ports should be different than the shopping lectures that we currently get.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think Holland America and Celebrity do some sort of cooking lecture from the chef. That might be something interesting for Carnival passengers as well.

As far as all the financial lectures and the like, I think that is the type of lecture that cruise ship passengers are trying to escape from when they go on vacation.

Again, as long as the lectures are enlightening, have no cost, and no sales pitch, I think that would be a nice thing to add to the list of ship's activities. Just a little something extra and different for everybody.

A cooking class or demonstration would be the one I'd vote for and definately use. They wouldn't have to bring some one on the ship as they have plenty diverse talent in their own kitchen. From sushi making, cake decoration to Indian food cooking there is a lot of topics to choose from!

I also love the idea of a "book club" with the author on the ship. They would have to let you know ahead of time who it is and the book. But if it is the right book, I'd go. I also tend to read 3 to 4 books per cruise so I am always looking for a good book to read.

John Heald raised an interesting question yesterday in his blog: Would cruisers be interested in having paid lecturers as entertainment on CCL ships? If so, what topics would cruisers be interested in learning more about? He suggested a few topics, with poll results so far:

* Personal Investment 5%

*Computers, How To Get The Best From The Internet 8%

*Life Coaching 4%

* Digital Photography 27%

* Home Improvement 4%

* Ocean Liner and Cruise Ship Historian 31%

* The French and Why We Hate Them 21%

What are your thoughts on this? Are the above topics appealing to you? What other topic might you desire to learn more about? Would you attend one of these "lectures" while cruising?

Well of course I'm suggesting ghost hunting to this list.:D

I think the interactive activities work much better on Carnival. Last year on Miracle, they offered two arts and crafts activities on sea days - a needlepoint lanyard for a Sail n' Sign card and a sun visor. (That reminds me - I need to fix the lanyard so youngest son can use it on our cruise on Sunday.:D) Both were well attended.

Personally, I'd attend a lecture on cruise ships and sailing, but I'm also a ship geek.:p I don't think a lot of Carnival cruisers fit that category, except for something like the "Behind the Fun" tours (which are well worth the cost).

I think that on some topics, people will attend.

Digital photo basic 101 is one that people will come to. Alot of people buy cameras just prior to a trip and offering tips on how to take great photos and basic info about the primary functions would appeal to people.

Also, on another cruiseline, we had a lecture who talked about the Pirates of the Caribbean. That one was a full house. The guy talked about the well known like Blackbeard and lesser known ones from various island legends.

This would be a great option for sea days.

Archived