Advice Required - A vs B Cabins - Worth the Extra $??

TA842

Looking for some input from some of the experienced Oceania cruisers out there.

We are currently booked for the Amazon Adventure on Regatta March 19, 2011. We booked late last fall in an A3 cabin. We are traveling with friends who are also celebrating their thirtieth anniversary. We were able to get cabins next to each other. In part, we booked concierge level because there was free bottled water & soft drinks and a fridge. Of course since we booked there is now free bottled water and due to the refurbishments, fridges in every stateroom. Appears to be an erosion of benefits for those who have booked ‘A’ cabins. :(

For us it is a difference of $800.00 per couple from a B2 to an A3. We spoke with our TA and she advised that there were no B2 cabins (or B1) together and only thing we can do now is book a guarantee (B1 or B2). I know there are other perks that go along with the concierge level but for those who have done both (A & B), is it worth the extra $.

Thanks

It is a personal choice if the perks are important to you then stick with Concierge

If not try for a B cabin they are both the same size wise

For $800 I can buy a bottle of wine & a tote bag;)

Lyn

Oceania has always been sensitive to the price difference and the need for perks to at least attempt to make up that difference. In the past, they offered hand-held hairdryers and DVD players to concierge; when they put those into every stateroom, they added a hot breakfast room service menu to concierge, previously available only to suite guests.

When the free bottled water and sodas were added, they were added to all guests in all bars, restaurants, room service and cabins, so that was always equal -- except that guests in categories B and below did not have a fridge to keep their personal stash cold. The fridge was a major perk for concierge. Now that every cabin will be getting a fridge (after the drydocks for each ship), my bet is they will find some other perk to extend to concierge. I don't know what it will be, but a wild guess would be the extension of room service from any restaurant at dinner time, much like Penthouse and above guests now enjoy. The major difference at that point would be that suite guests have a butler to serve the meal course-by-course while concierge guests would get it all at once.

Whether or not that is the perk (and it is only a guess on my part), they will have to come up with something to make up the difference, or their sales of concierge-class cabins will drop out of sight. Being one deck higher is not enough of a difference, Whatever that "something" is, it will likely be interesting. On Marina, they are adding an exclusive concierge lounge for guests in concierge class.

Maybe they will do away with the concierge class on the R ships like in the early days

I cannot see having dinner served in the room ...the waiter would have to almost crawl over the bed to serve the courses:D

Lyn

The only advantage we found is the extra 2 night restaurant reservations.That to us is a big plus, and being able to book them I think 90 days or maybe 60 days ahead of boarding.

For us it is a difference of $800.00 per couple from a B2 to an A3. We spoke with our TA and she advised that there were no B2 cabins (or B1) together and only thing we can do now is book a guarantee (B1 or B2). I know there are other perks that go along with the concierge level but for those who have done both (A & B), is it worth the extra $.

Actually, there is precious little difference between the A & B categories. For all intents and purposes, for example, the rooms themselves are COMPLETELY IDENTICAL.

staterooms-3d-a1.jpgstaterooms-3d-a1.jpg

For a case like this where you are celebrating TWO destination Anniversaries, I'd suggest that you try to move up to the Penthouses, where you will see a REAL difference.

staterooms-ship-ph2.png

The Penthouses are virtually twice the size of the A or B cabins, as are their terraces.

staterooms-3d-ph2.jpg

Their bathrooms are larger, which is always good for a relationship, and you'll have a lot more room in general. This is especially important if you want to invite that other couple in for a pre dinner drink or a nightcap.

Most importantly, the room service in a suite is a completely different animal on Oceania.

room-service.jpg

The course by course in suite dining is fabulous for an Anniversary.

As often as you would like, your butler will set up a complete dining table in the suite. All the requisite linens, glassware, china and silver appear as if by magic. The wine is chilled, there are flowers on the table, it is incredible.

Opt to dine in the room or outside on the spacious veranda.

Dining in your suite, you may choose each course from the menu of ANY of the ships restaurants, so if Polo's Warm Foie Gras sounds delicious, you may follow it with the Gorgonzola crusted fillet from Tuscana, and finish with the Grand Marnier Soufflé from the Grand Dining Room.

103_souffle.jpg

Absolute HEAVEN!

Thanks to all who responded to my opening post.

JimandStan:

Yes, it would be nice to ‘splurge’ on a penthouse, but we are actually ‘splurging’ with the ‘A’ level.

I guess for us at this point, it comes down to staying with our assigned staterooms to be next to our friends, or save $800 per couple and take our chances with a B2 guarantee and be at opposite ends of the ship. The perks as they are now between A3 and and B2 don't add up to $800 IMHO.

In any event, we are really looking forward to the cruise. It is our first on Oceania. A great deal of why we chose Oceania over other lines was due to all of the positive comments posted by Oceania cruisers.:)

on our first O cruise, friends had the cabin next to us in B2.

A week before the cruise, we were offered an upgrade to PH, and grabbed it. Our friends didn't reply as quickly, and didn't get it, so we were on deck 8, they were on 6.

No problem...you can phone from cabin to cabin, and the ship is small so it takes no time to get anywhere.

Personally, I would take the B2 guarantee for the difference in price. As it is now, all you get is one extra reservation in each specialty restaurant, and a couple of tote bags for $800, and extra reservations in those restaurants are possible....

Sometimes it's better not to know the people in the stateroom right beside you ;)

Take the $1,600 between you and spend it on something(s) you'll really enjoy - like your bar tab :D

I guess for us at this point, it comes down to staying with our assigned staterooms to be next to our friends, or save $800 per couple and take our chances with a B2 guarantee and be at opposite ends of the ship. The perks as they are now between A3 and and B2 don't add up to $800 IMHO.

We cruised with friends next door two years ago on Nautica, and I believe being next door is really handy. We had a great time during the cruise sharing an evening drink and canapes together, walking to meals together, rather than trying to find one another, and just generally kibutzing back and forth around the divider on the balcony. I'd stay together if it were me. Good luck! Kay

Thanks again to all for the advice on A3 vs. B2 and whether the current concierge perks are worth the extra $800 (per couple).

After consulting with Oceania and our TA we are now wait listed for B2. If a couple of B2 staterooms become available we have until the end of that day to make the decision to switch.

If nothing becomes available we will stay with our A3 and enjoy. It is our first cruise with Oceania and very much looking forward to it. :)

Archived