Drive to Whitehorse?

zelker

Just did the Skagway to Emerald Lake trip last year so are considering driving up to Whitehorse and then maybe back down a bit of the Alaskan Highway to Jake's Corner, then head west on 8 through Tagish back to Carcross and then back to Skagway. Has anyone every done this big circle route - or any part thereof? What's the scenery like? BTW, we're in port from 7:00 am until 9:00 pm on Friday, July 30th so have a long day to spend exploring.

Yukon, if you're there, please chime in. :)

Thanks!

If I rent a car in Skagway, I drive to Whitehorse, not just Emerald Lake (I eat lunch, go shopping and then to the Beringia Museum. However, this doesn't leave a lot of time to get back to Skagway for the ship. I don't know how much time you'll have for the "circle" route.

We recently did this...just a week ago. We made a few stops for pictures, stopped for just a few things in Whitehorse...including the Harley Dealership lol.

We left at 8:30 and were back by 4pm.

We didn't feel rushed at all.

It was absolutely beautiful.

If I rent a car in Skagway, I drive to Whitehorse, not just Emerald Lake (I eat lunch, go shopping and then to the Beringia Museum. However, this doesn't leave a lot of time to get back to Skagway for the ship. I don't know how much time you'll have for the "circle" route.

I second going to the Beringia Museum and having lunch in town. I just love Whitehorse.

There's nothing to see in Jake's Corner, if I'm remembering right. Check the Milepost at your library, copy the relevant pages, and know your mileage. You can always do it if Whitehorse doesn't keep you enthralled.

Good to know that Whitehorse gets a thumbs up! Will check out the museum you both mentioned. Any suggestions for a good place to eat lunch?

As for Jake's Corner, we weren't worried about there being anything of interest there. Rather, we wondered if making a big circle drive (via Jake's Corner and Tagish) would be a scenic ride instead of turning around at Whitehorse and driving back the exact way we came.

That drive is for people who just love driving IMO (or who are just Skagwayed out). Whitehorse is great for multi-day visits when you bring your RVs up, though :)

Hi, Yukon.

Which drive are you referring to? The one to Whitehorse? Or the one continuing on around to do the loop back to Carcross? Since you're a local, does that mean the loop is nothing to blog about:p?

Won't be bringing our RV on this cruise - maybe next time. LOL

Skagway - been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Did the drive to Carcross. What's left? We were hoping you'd say it was worth it to drive up to Whitehorse for the day. Otherwise, we're going to have a really long day on the ship.

Good to know that Whitehorse gets a thumbs up! Will check out the museum you both mentioned. Any suggestions for a good place to eat lunch?

I highly recommend the Klondike Rib and Salmon BBQ, which despite its name, is a restaurant. It's the only place I've seen where you can have meat like Muskox. :D A lot of food, though; starve yourself.

I've seen Yukon warn people off doing Whitehorse as a day trip before, and I'm not sure if he's saying it can't be done comfortably in a day, but as a tourist, I have done it. Particularly since you've done the first part already and won't be stopping as much, I think you have the time to do it comfortably. I love the change from the odd topography outside of Skagway that changes to this high desert sort of terrain around Whitehorse. I truly feel as though I'm on top of the world. And I've almost hit a moose on the drive, so wildlife's out there!

I've driven to Whitehorse several times, (to hit the Harley shop)and agree, it can be done. But, it's pretty dull scenery past Emerald Lake. The Tagish loop was unpaved, not sure if it's been upgraded. IF not, You can't drive this with an Avis car, I've done the drive- yes, it's scenic, but not a must do.

I've driven to Whitehorse several times, (to hit the Harley shop)and agree, it can be done. But, it's pretty dull scenery past Emerald Lake. The Tagish loop was unpaved, not sure if it's been upgraded. IF not, You can't drive this with an Avis car, I've done the drive- yes, it's scenic, but not a must do.

The Tagish Loop is all paved, but I agree that it's far down on the must-do list. Once you've been to Skagway a dozen times, perhaps.

The Tagish Loop is all paved, but I agree that it's far down on the must-do list. Once you've been to Skagway a dozen times, perhaps.

It was a one time trip, for me, on the Tangish Loop. BUT, as you know, the Klondike Highway is a keeper for me. :) I never tire of it!! And certainly your guide, is the biggest bonus of all for many of the visitors. (I actually, still use an old copy)

Any news of getting to NYC?

Ok, Murray. I "get" that you are not encouraging us to drive to Whitehorse and have lunch with you. ;) So what would you recommend that we do in Skagway for 14 hours? Seriously - am looking for suggestions. We had originally wanted to go drive ATV's on the Carcross desert but see they've discontinued doing that; we've done helicopters, we live in the Rockies so have done trains, hiking, four-wheel driving, dog-sledding, etc. here. We even talked about taking the fast ferry over to Haines for the SE Alaska State Fair but decided it looked fairly uneventful on Friday during the day. What's left?

That drive is for people who just love driving IMO (or who are just Skagwayed out). Whitehorse is great for multi-day visits when you bring your RVs up, though :)

Since we decided to spend some time at Emerald lake, driving to whitehorse was impossible no matter how much we tried to squeeze our schedule.

Archived