Christmas decorations!

mexico5

Hi, does anyone know when Hal puts up their Christmas decorations and if they go all out? Loved seeing the ships decorated while on NCL and Princess. I am also hoping they will have some nice backdrops for photos!

Thanks!

It varies a bit by ship how soon they are put up and how much is done. We've been on two mid-Dec cruises on the Noordam where there was extensive decorating done when we got on around the 9th or 10th, and one on the Zuiderdam where there still wasn't much done when we got off on the 22nd.

Also the Veendam had a lot done, including a large atrium display which would be good for photos, when we boarded on Dec 9th.

John

Amsterdam 2641 - Alaska 7/02

Westerdam 8010 - Baltic 9/05

Noordam 7124 - Western Mediterranean 6/06

Veendam 712 - Western Caribbean 12/06

Sovereign of the Seas 6556 - Bahamas 4/07

Statendam 394 - Alaska Cruise-Tour 9/07

Zuiderdam 8021 - Eastern Caribbean 12/07

Amsterdam 3385 - Panama Canal transit 4/08

Eurodam 4130 - Bahamas 10/08

Noordam 8009 - Southern Caribbean 12/08

Noordam 4178 - Southern Caribbean 12/09

It also varies somewhat ship to ship how extensive the decorating. Some ships seem to have more decorations than others but they all look lovely for the holidays.

We were boarded Maasdam about December 5 last year for 14 days and the ship was decorated well before the end of our cruise.

We had an opportunity to see Noordam and she was beautifully decorated and looked fabulous IMO

On our Dec 10 cruise on the MS Eurodam last year the ship was beautifully decorated. By the time we disembarked there were Christmas Wreaths on every door. Large Poinsettias in our suite and the rest of the ship was decorated very nicely. They even had outside Christmas decorations that were no where to be seen on other ships that we shared ports with.

I believe you will be very pleased and impressed.

It does vary by ship.

A number of years ago we did a Princess cruise -- there was only holy around the atrium railings -- no trees or anything else.

On the Norway -- they were decorated trees -- all different -- every few feet on the Promenade Deck -- Covered on that ship -- and they were beautiful.

A couple of times on HAL in December -- not much of anything. You never can tell.

Thanks! Sounds great...wreaths on doors too! We will be on Oosterdam so I hope they have a good supply of decorations!

We did the Christmas cruise on the Oosterdam last year and it did sparkle with decorations, particularly the main atrium with a tall tree and cookie house display. There were not as many door decorations as I expected though we did put up a wreath.

There are special holiday light decorations outside the ship and a Happy Holidays greeting that makes festive evening photo shots. Here is the link to our on board photos during this cruise. http://www.flickr.com/photos/46289847@N06/

The best door decoration we saw was simply someone papered their whole door and put a ribbon wrapper on it. Simple, easy to do and looked great because they were near the elevator lobby so lots of people saw it.

And always it is great to have a visual reference to your own cabin door when you embark down those long Vista ship hallways. Lat trip our neighbors a few doors down had Happy Anniversary balloons at their door which were always our confirmation we were going the right direction down the right hallway.

Thanks Swiss for the photos! Couldn't help but notice the 7 kinds of eggs benedict...awesome!

It's really nice to see that the decorations are still done up nicely for Christmas...never know these days.

Can't wait for our first HAL cruise!

Thanks Swiss for the photos! Couldn't help but notice the 7 kinds of eggs benedict...awesome!

And here I just thought you would want to see the holiday decorations. :p This 7 day trip is a good little cruise. It all happens so fast and the holiday crowds seem a bit more overwhelming because they move in large family groups that it is hard to get the real HAL feel, but welcome aboard.

We won't be cruising right at Christmas (couldn't leave the dog on Christmas you know) so we will avoid all of the little darlings so it should be quite relaxing. I can imagine how excited the kids must be to go cruising for Christmas!

I have done the Mexico one with my mom and DH took his parents on one but we have never gone together so I can't wait!

I always decorate my own room. I love having a couple strings of lights that blink on and off. Didn't warn the steward the first time and about half scared him, so I warm them all now.

I have a travel size Nativity and one room steward brought fresh flowers for it. I was really touched by that.

On a December cruise (Princess) the ship was VERY decorated. We put felt/fancy socks on our doors. They because THE thing for the "Kid's Club."

They began coming by each day and putting things in them for us! SO cute!

On the last day we put individual treats in them for the kids; fun memories.:p

We did the last QE2 Christmas cruise out of NYC, and the decorations were beautiful. Lots of garlands, trees in all the lounges, a gingerbread village (complete with baskets of cookies to nibble on) and a candy village. Sadly, I heard that her last Christmas (out of Southampton), the decorations were sparse. I guess it depends on who the cruise line hires to deck their halls.

I brought a little dollar-store tree for our cabin and a few dollar-store garlands and ornaments. (No lights) As the cruise went on, I cut things out of the daily program and added them to the little tree. It was very festive. I swagged the mirror with some tinsel garland. I also bought two tinsel wreaths for the doors--small and light enough that they would stay up with tape. I put one on our cabin door and one on my father's doo. Dad saw it and said "what's this?" like I was crazy. Then the next day, people in the cabin near his told him his wreath looked nice. Then he didn't think it was such a crazy idea.

.......On the Norway there were decorated trees -- all different -- every few feet on the Promenade Deck -- Covered on that ship -- and they were beautiful..............

Ah, such sweet memories of the Norway. No ship has EVER put on such a magnificent holiday display. If memory serves me correctly, there were 9 trees spaced evenly along either side of the Prom Deck. All decorated in a different theme. How I miss her.

What great ideas about bringing a little Christmas into your cabin! Of course we can't bring too much since we are flying, but I do have a tiny little tree, etc...

Last time on NCL it was so rough one night that the Christmas trees were really swinging...they were decorated so beautifully!

Archived