Reviews of Travel Safe Insurance

angel258

I have been reviewing travel insurance policies from various companies using insuremytrip and squaremouth sites and was leaning towards Travel Safe since I only need a basic policy and would be covered by my primary medical insurance plan. Has anyone used this company before and can provide any pros and cons (i.e. customer service and filing claims). Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

• 3 months later...

Unlesss you don't plan to use your insurance they are a bad choice - we have been waitng for reimbursement $7000 for a cancelled cruise for more than a year - an uneventful injury/fall has been deemed as preexisitng

• 1 year later...

We almost always buy TravelSafe policies with the cancel for any reason option. We had our first and only claim one year ago. We had to cancel a couple days before leaving on our cruise for an emergency that would not normally be covered but of couse it was under the cancel for any reason coverage. They paid us 75% as written in the policy for that coverage. No hassles.

Lots of people get mad when a trip insurance policy doesn't reimburse them as they thought it would. It is important to read the policy terms. Trip insurance doesn't cover everything. There are conditions, exclusions, and lots of details.

Edited by D4

Agree, insurance companies don't just deny claims on a whim. Legally, they must pay the claim if it's for a covered reason. Most of the time, the purchaser does not understand the policy and thinks things are covered that are not.

If you have a claim that was denied for a covered reason (read your policy first to make sure), and you have supplied all required paperwork, either file an appeal, or report this to your state's department of insurance.

It's better then spamming chat boards with complaints.

We always buy TravelSafe and the one time we did file a claim had no problem and received the refund within 3 weeks.

Also, we purchase the insurance thru Tripinsurancestore.com because Steve, the owner, and his staff are not only very knowledgeable but extremely helpful if you need them to go to bat for you. There are also very helpful when purchasing making sure you buy the right coverage for your individual situation.

• 2 years later...

I finally have been reimbursed for cancelled cruise after numerous trips to Doctors for letters and backup from ER. This outfit will look for any possible reason to get out of paying a claim! WATCH OUT FOR PRE EXISTING CONDITIONS! They initially denied me because Doctor put wrong date for the start of disability even though I submitted ER visit which occurred only 10 days before the cruise. They really delay any chance they can and have a strange habit of posting latest status of claim on internet only on late Friday afternoons!

They have good customer service personnel but I would never use them again.

A fellow traveler recommended Travel Guard as they were always quickly reimbursed and if you buy policy within 10 days of booking trip, they allow

Pre Existing Conditions if you file a claim.

• 2 weeks later...

We received our TravelSafe claim checks today; the claims were filed March 21. I agree - their claims administrator, Trip Mate, does move slowly.

We were paid in full on a medical claim (ER, surgery, and doctor letter stating that my husband could not travel on April 1, the flight date) but the detailed paperwork asked for was demanding. We had to have proof that we had purchased the policy. The policy number wasn't enough; credit card record was required. After we provided proof that we had bought airline tickets and had cancelled them, we had to sign a statement that we hadn't accepted future credit. Then they called the airline themselves to verify. All of this was strung out over two months.

But they paid. I'll give them credit for that. But in their own sweet time.

• 3 months later...

I'm going through the same thing. Small claim ($157) that they admit is a covered event, and it has been six weeks in "review" while asking for the same paperwork I already submitted (certified mail, and I made copies of everything.) Even if I eventually get a check, I'll never use them again. I buy travel insurance three for four times every year with premiums $200-$400.

I think I will take my chances with the airlines and keep my Medjet Assist and get the GeoBlue to supplement my BC/BS. Regular travel insurance just is not worth the aggravation to me.