Canada/Bermuda

lynn247

We're having trouble trying to decide to do either Bermuda on HAL or the Caribbean Princess to Canada......I want Bermuda, DH wants Canada.

OK, I know this is a Princess board, and everyone would more than likely suggest the Canadian itinerary........But........What's so special about the Caribbean Princess to Canada? Convince me.;)

Not sure about the HAL itinerary but if it is like NCL, for example, the ship goes to Bernuda and sits there... maybe moves to the other side of the island at most... fine, if that's what you want.

The Princess Canadian itinerary (we did it 3 years ago) has several fine Canadian and US ports which we enjoyed quite a bit.

Not sure about the HAL itinerary but if it is like NCL, for example, the ship goes to Bernuda and sits there... maybe moves to the other side of the island at most... fine, if that's what you want.

The Princess Canadian itinerary (we did it 3 years ago) has several fine Canadian and US ports which we enjoyed quite a bit.

Bob, thanks for a quick answer. HAL goes to St. George & Hamilton Bermuda. Part of the reason I want it is because it stays in one place. No rushing to get back to the ship.

We did a 14 day on HAL with wonderful ports. Hated that we had only a few short hours on each island.

I really want to know what is so special about the Canadian itinerary. What were the ports like? What did you do at each port? Please understand that to me, a cruise is to a tropical location. Canada, Boston, RI, seem more like a road trip, not a cruise. Since DH will probably win, Please change my mind.

Oh my!!!

If you have never been to Bermuda, of course you would want to go. You did not say when you were going?

Fall up north is gorgeous. We did the Cb princess 7 day rt from new york. I absolutely loved it. It was one of my most favorite cruises. It was very port intensive . different stop every day. Every one unique. The cb is a great ship.

We have never done HAm. However we have done Bermuda a couple of times.

I think you win either way. If you are more interested in beaches, bermuda is the way to go. For sightseeing you can not beat the northern route. :)

What is it with these guys? :confused:

My DH wants to go on this same cruise.

We are originally from NE and have been to most of the ports, numerous times.

But still, he has made this huge 6 year compromise for me, the least I can do is go on this cruise with an open mind and an open heart.

I guess he won this battle, but what the heck, I get to go on a cruise!

As you can see, we are leaving for this cruise in 90 something days.

How bad can it be!?!?!?:p

We've been to Bermuda many times.....Including twice on Celebrity, and three times on Princess. Canada as a cruise destination would be a new experience for us. And you're right, I'll still be on a cruise. :D

I think I'll agree with him. As long as I'm with him, I'll still have a grand time.

We've been to Bermuda many times.....Including twice on Celebrity, and three times on Princess. Canada as a cruise destination would be a new experience for us. And you're right, I'll still be on a cruise. :D

I think I'll agree with him. As long as I'm with him, I'll still have a grand time.

Great attitude!

Hey Lynn-

Maybe if you book the same cruise, we (as the wives) can get together to commiserate!:rolleyes:

Just a thought...

Wrong time of the year for me. :( Oct. is way too busy at work for me to take off. Darn!!!! I'm sure you'll have a grand time when you go.

We've been on two cruises this year and hadn't planned on another.

Tonight DH suprised me with his suggestion that maybe we can take one more cruise before the summer ends. :D Suprised only because a few weeks ago, he said no more cruises for a while.

To us, a cruise means someplace warm and tropical too, but we took the Caribbean Princess to NE/Canada in Aug 2008 just to do something different for a change. It really was a wonderful itinerary. Very port intensive. Halifax was particularly lovely...we just walked the boardwalk, went to the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic (Titanic exhibit), and stopped in all the shops/kiosks along the way. Some of our friends took the free bus around town. Others booked excursions to Peggy's Cove. In Boston, we pre-purchased tickets online for the Old Town Trolley (hop on, hop off), which was wonderful. Bar Harbor is gorgeous - we prepurchased online tickets for the National Parks Bus tour of Acadia National Park, which we highly recommend. There wasn't much to do in St. John, so we just explored the port area (the reversing falls was kind of disappointing). And, we didn't get off the ship in Newport because it was pouring rain that day.

To us, a cruise means someplace warm and tropical too, but we took the Caribbean Princess to NE/Canada in Aug 2008 just to do something different for a change. It really was a wonderful itinerary. Very port intensive. Halifax was particularly lovely...we just walked the boardwalk, went to the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic (Titanic exhibit), and stopped in all the shops/kiosks along the way. Some of our friends took the free bus around town. Others booked excursions to Peggy's Cove. In Boston, we pre-purchased tickets online for the Old Town Trolley (hop on, hop off), which was wonderful. Bar Harbor is gorgeous - we prepurchased online tickets for the National Parks Bus tour of Acadia National Park, which we highly recommend. There wasn't much to do in St. John, so we just explored the port area (the reversing falls was kind of disappointing). And, we didn't get off the ship in Newport because it was pouring rain that day.

Donna, I read and enjoyed your review. http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=46090

I'm glad I made this choice. Thanks

We froze to death all the way from Montreal to Bar Harbor, where the weather turned nice and stayed that way back to Florida. It also rained. This was in October '08, so we took the reverse trip, FLL to Montreal the next May and got to visit all the places we'd missed. Only problem was missing the fall colors, which is really why we'd gone in the fall, because, living in Florida, we miss that.

Bermuda is great, but I don't like cruises to the 1 place.

This is why we are doing 9 dayer on Caribbean Princess, which will also include other Caribbean islands. (and before on RCCL)

Cruise to Canada is great, but I'd choose a ship with inside pool. It can get cold up North. Celebrity Constellation, RCCL Jewel of the Seas would be my choices.

If you do the Bermuda trip I would certainly go with HAL. However be aware that they discovered the ship is too big to fit through the Town Cut in St Georges so they have to tender in. For the majority of the year so far HAL has not anchored and sent in tenders because the seas have been too rough, instead they have gone straight to Hamilton and been alongside the whole time. I think there is now a process to make sure all passengers get the opportunity to visit St Georges for free (heck it is almost near enough to walk in half a day!)

If you want to explore Bermuda the HAL cruise is perfect. If you are going in September you can get some very pleasant weather normally.

We did the East Coast route in July and the weather was gorgeous and the places very pretty. It was certainly much more of a classic cruise than the Bermuda trip.

Since I grew up in Bermuda and love the place I would try to convince my travelling partner to go to Bermuda (which I dont think helps you at all!):o

Archived